Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:27 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
I understand that rent for Lowell: Given that so many people have been priced out of the Boston area, they naturally widen their search. Lowell is on the commuter rail with a straight shot into North Station. The property company is probably betting that those priced out of the Boston area are young and/or professionals who can pay that kind of rent. Lowell is considered a gentrifying area of the Merrimack Valley, too, and people will pay for that convenience.
Let's not forget the $289/month commuter rail pass and the 2-3 hours a day spent commuting. For $2,000/month you can live in a 1 BR in Boston and save yourself the aggravation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 03:31 PM

837 posts, read 1,225,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Let's not forget the $289/month commuter rail pass and the 2-3 hours a day spent commuting. For $2,000/month you can live in a 1 BR in Boston and save yourself the aggravation.
True, but I'm betting the property management company thinks that potential tenants won't think of that.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:37 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
I understand that rent for Lowell: Given that so many people have been priced out of the Boston area, they naturally widen their search. Lowell is on the commuter rail with a straight shot into North Station. The property company is probably betting that those priced out of the Boston area are young and/or professionals who can pay that kind of rent. Lowell is considered a gentrifying area of the Merrimack Valley, too, and people will pay for that convenience.
I don't. Lowell is a 40 minute train ride from North Station. There are a bunch of options much closer. I guess if they're charging it people are paying, but I just don't get it.

The OP seems to have disappeared, but from that person's OP it seems like a better option than $1710 for a 1BR would be available.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I don't. Lowell is a 40 minute train ride from North Station. There are a bunch of options much closer. I guess if they're charging it people are paying, but I just don't get it.
I know people who live in Plymouth and on the Cape who endure that horrendous daily round trip on Rte. 3. To me that's more horrifying than taking a 80-minute daily round trip commuter rail ride, given the wear and tear on one's car and such :shrug:

I guess it would depend on one's housing priorities. Sure, you might be able to get something closer to Boston for less, but there could be a lot of tradeoffs involved, depending on where exactly one's job is and whether there's a car involved, whether there's a T stop nearby, etc. Some people would rather not deal with that and just pay up front for creature comforts in a gentrifying former mill city that has transportation options.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:12 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
Quote:
I know people who live in Plymouth and on the Cape who endure that horrendous daily round trip on Rte. 3. To me that's more horrifying than taking a 80-minute daily round trip commuter rail ride, given the wear and tear on one's car and such :shrug:
First off, if the MBTA says the ride is 40 minutes, it's really at least 10 minutes longer assuming nothing goes wrong. That's the reality of commuter rail. Also, even if it were 40 minutes, you still have to add in the time getting to and from the train station, and then the time getting to your job once you get off at North Station. So really, you're talking at least an hour each way and that's assuming nothing goes wrong. Again, for $2,000, you can live in a 1 BR in Boston and avoid all that nonsense, as well as an extremely limited schedule outside of rush hour.

The people you describe commuting from Plymouth and the Cape aren't paying $2,000/month for a 1 BR.

Quote:
I guess it would depend on one's housing priorities. Sure, you might be able to get something closer to Boston for less, but there could be a lot of tradeoffs involved, depending on where exactly one's job is and whether there's a car involved, whether there's a T stop nearby, etc. Some people would rather not deal with that and just pay up front for creature comforts in a gentrifying former mill city that has transportation options.
What creature comforts do you have in Lowell that justify spending more money each month than you'd spend for the same number of bedrooms in Boston proper?

Old 01-03-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
First off, if the MBTA says the ride is 40 minutes, it's really at least 10 minutes longer assuming nothing goes wrong. That's the reality of commuter rail. Also, even if it were 40 minutes, you still have to add in the time getting to and from the train station, and then the time getting to your job once you get off at North Station. So really, you're talking at least an hour each way and that's assuming nothing goes wrong. Again, for $2,000, you can live in a 1 BR in Boston and avoid all that nonsense, as well as an extremely limited schedule outside of rush hour.

The people you describe commuting from Plymouth and the Cape aren't paying $2,000/month for a 1 BR.

What creature comforts do you have in Lowell that justify spending more money each month than you'd spend for the same number of bedrooms in Boston proper?
I'm betting many of them probably pay minimum 1K if not more. Rents may be slightly cheaper down by Plymouth, but not by much. We have friends currently looking for a place down that way and they're SHOCKED by how expensive the rents are compared to where they're from.

Ditto going north. I have friends in the Haverhill area who says that rents up that way have hit over 1K in some areas.

Some people don't want to live smack in the city or the immediate surrounding area. Maybe they think they're getting more bang for their buck in a place like Lowell or Haverhill or Plymouth because they're outside the metro Boston area. I suppose there are more reasons than we can speculate. We can't know for certain, though, unless we know somebody who fits in that very scenario.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:33 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,096 times
Quote:
In 1995 you could probably get the apt in Lowell for $289/month, and a monthly rail pass for $75 or something. Too bad average salaries haven't increased almost 800% over these twenty years to keep pace with the rents.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:52 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaya77 View Post
I'm a young professional/sys admin, looking at some apartments in Lowell, Massachusetts for a one bedroom, one bath, kitchen, parking garage, heat and water included in the rent. My car is paid off and my commute time from work would be only 35-40 minutes from work which closer than an hour and 15 minutes. I have no debts, have good credit. I could find other apartments closer to my current job, but I don't intend to be there long and look for better, more challenging position in Boston and commute by train.

Question is, can I afford $1710 rent on $45k salary?
Rule of thumb is that housing cost should not exceed 33% (1/3) of one's income.* If it does, you will not be putting aside any money into savings. That means $1200 on your salary is a much better bet.

*Wiser if it's 1/3 of net income.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:10 PM

4,692 posts, read 3,471,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
In 1995 you could probably get the apt in Lowell for $289/month, and a monthly rail pass for $75 or something. Too bad average salaries haven't increased almost 800% over these twenty years to keep pace with the rents.
In 95 I had a two bedroom in downtown Lowell, it was $550 a month. My zone 6 pass was $118 a month. It was a fun time in a fun city. Off topic a bit I know but boy do I miss those days!

Old 01-07-2015, 06:39 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
In 95 I had a two bedroom in downtown Lowell, it was $550 a month. My zone 6 pass was $118 a month. It was a fun time in a fun city. Off topic a bit I know but boy do I miss those days!
Nice! I was in middle school then. Many of us millennials will unfortunately never experience an affordable MA as adults. I just feel lucky to be employed for more than $12 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts