Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:12 AM

4,693 posts, read 3,472,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
What does any of this have to do with Worcester?
Speaking of Worcester.....I have been spending time down there lately and I am very impressed. We are ready to move back to a city, I mean five years in a small North Central town is enough for me, and Worcester is a front runner for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 05:15 PM

238 posts, read 326,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Speaking of Worcester.....I have been spending time down there lately and I am very impressed. We are ready to move back to a city, I mean five years in a small North Central town is enough for me, and Worcester is a front runner for us.

I was there very briefly for some business recently, but didn't have much time to look around. Do you feel like sharing your thoughts on what you saw? Up and coming urban residential areas to take a look at? I hear Shrewsbury Street corridor isn't bad. Any other more vibrant areas worth looking at?

Old 01-30-2015, 02:37 PM

4,693 posts, read 3,472,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydew View Post
I was there very briefly for some business recently, but didn't have much time to look around. Do you feel like sharing your thoughts on what you saw? Up and coming urban residential areas to take a look at? I hear Shrewsbury Street corridor isn't bad. Any other more vibrant areas worth looking at?
What we want in a city is probably not what most are looking for, let me preface my answer that way. We are older (mid 40s) and have a couple kids. I grew up in Lowell and want something similar. We need to stay close enough to Lancaster. What Worcester has that we like is a diverse population, strong working class vibe, affordable houses, great highway access, a decent bus system, a train to Boston for special events and UMass Medical is a great hospital for what we need it for.

We have done the Shrewsbury ST thing and liked it but we do not go out much. When we do go we are more into the neighbourhood working class bar scene. What we have seen of that we have liked.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:23 PM

238 posts, read 326,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
What we want in a city is probably not what most are looking for, let me preface my answer that way. We are older (mid 40s) and have a couple kids. I grew up in Lowell and want something similar. We need to stay close enough to Lancaster. What Worcester has that we like is a diverse population, strong working class vibe, affordable houses, great highway access, a decent bus system, a train to Boston for special events and UMass Medical is a great hospital for what we need it for.

We have done the Shrewsbury ST thing and liked it but we do not go out much. When we do go we are more into the neighbourhood working class bar scene. What we have seen of that we have liked.

Sounds good. Yeah, diverse is good along with a viable working-class community mixed with professional. If they develop smartly they can keep both. I noticed some decent single family homes online for 200K and under. I saw some nice new loft style condos downtown going for a song. I don't know what the downtown area is like though. Of course we saw those kinds of apartments built in downtown Lowell not too long ago too....but even though some of the units are nice, downtown Lowell has a ways to go before it's back.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:47 PM

173 posts, read 198,773 times
Bump.

Saw this opinion piece in the telegram. I definitely agree that it would be huge for Worcester to have this realized:

New locomotives should bring express runs to Worcester

"Currently, the MBTA runs local and limited express trains between Worcester and Boston, with 20 daily round trips. The goal of political, business, and transportation officials must be that additional trains added to the Worcester/Framingham MBTA commuter lines be true 46-minute express trains to establish 26 daily round trips between Worcester and Boston."

Old 08-23-2015, 06:40 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
- Some high draw colleges such as Holy Cross, Clark, and to lesser degree, WPI and Mass Pharm.

As a WPI alum, I take offense. WPI is without question very much among the top schools in Worcester. Many consider it the best and it is most certainly not a tier below either Holy Cross or Clark.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:17 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
As a WPI alum, I take offense. WPI is without question very much among the top schools in Worcester. Many consider it the best and it is most certainly not a tier below either Holy Cross or Clark.
I assure you, my comment on an internet forum did not devalue your degree. Also, please point out where I suggested WPI wasn't a top school? Did you see, when quoting me, the part where I wrote "Some high draw colleges such as ... " .

I listed colleges based on A) whether they respected local institutions, and B) do they have a notable student population in Worcester? I severely underestimated WPI's growth over the past decade due to the boom in STEM. So, forgive me for thinking WPI is still a humble little engineering school. It is not.

A much more egregious blunder was my decision to omit UMass med from my short list - another highly regarded Worcester institution.

Seeing as my excellent healthcare is subsidized by WPI, and the school contributes 11% to my fiancee's retirement ... well, I have nothing but love for WPI. I do hope you are a financially contributing Alumn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts