Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 01:49 PM

28 posts, read 59,179 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband is in the process of being transfered to Boston by his company and we would move there next summer. We currently live in Alsace.
I have questions regarding where to live. His office will be in North Andover and we would like our daughter to do her last high school year at the French International School of Boston in Cambridge.
We are looking to rent a 4BR/2BA house for a couple of years in a safe semi-urban neighborhood where we can commute easily to Cambridge and to North Andover. Renting budget around $3,000/month. My daughter rides horses so it would good to find riding stables nearby.
Looking at a map, I've selected Burlington, Lexington, Winchester.
What do you think of these cities?
What other cities should we consider?
Is traffic really that bad around Boston?
We've visited Boston once and we really liked it! Thanks in advance for your contribution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 02:48 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,612 times
Burlington, Lexington, Winchester are all nice. I know there are stables in Canton and Westwood which are also nice.

I think the traffic is pretty bad, but it is a great city so that can make it worth it.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:22 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,237,965 times
Welcome. Your budget needs to be much higher for Lexington and Winchester. Burlington is also getting more expensive as well, but it is not as upscale as other two. You are looking for magic combo in terms of space, and it will be hard to find it. Your budget is good for 2-3 beds apartment of townhome. Most single family homes are renting for well over 3K--more in vicinity of 4K and up. Rentals like that are rare around here. Not sure if Burlington being little cheaper would offer better deals and some options in that department.

As far as school goes, that will be one tough commute for your kid. You might consider staying closer in Arlington so one person has better commute. Yes traffic is very tough. You will have to be careful about this commute if this is the only school you will consider.

Understand that COL are pretty high, it is very cold (so budget accordingly for heat), homes are often very charming but old and drafty. Economy is booming, many families are relocating here lately, so it is very competitive in RE in general.

If you decide on regular public high school, check Andover. Beautiful town with lot to offer, including very easy commute for your husband. Your dollar would stretch possibly further there as well.

Good luck.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:38 PM

264 posts, read 388,710 times
bienvenue à Boston!!

I would second Arlington, very nice place with lots to offer and close to Cambridge. Also Watertown, another adjacent place wouldn't be a bad idea either. Nice semi-urban environment, convenient to Cambridge, and also right by the Mass Pike. Obviously North Andover would be more of a commute, but it would be in the opposite direction of traffic. Found a 4br 2 ba house for rent in Watertown within your budget.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:28 AM

649 posts, read 815,706 times
I would rent a 3/1 apartment in what is known as the Teele Square area of Somerville and let daughter walk to school. There is a cut-through to school at the end of Endicott Ave. Husband can get on 93n for a (long) reverse commute and once she graduates you can move North.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:32 AM

28 posts, read 59,179 times
Thanks for the replies.
I was able to find a few houses for rent in Burlington and Winchester for around $3,000 a month. The idea is to rent closer to Cambridge for one year to enable our daughter to finish her French high school program at the ISB. Then we might move to Andover to be closer to work. And yes, we found that city really nice and it is more the type of area we are looking for. Too bad Andover public high school does not offer the International Baccalaureat option! Education is a real issue for us. The costs in the US are just outrageous and absolutely not justified! How do American parents manage to pay for their children education? Is it tax deductible? Are we missing something here?

Old 01-08-2015, 06:45 AM

649 posts, read 815,706 times
Most people go to public schools which are funded by real estate taxes paid on property owned in the town. So they are "free." I am surprised at the lack of IB schools in Boston given it's international nature. There are a ton of them out here in Ohio.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:56 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,237,965 times
It is your choice to go to private school. How important is to have IB if you guys will stay around here and she goes to college in the US? Most colleges are looking for well rounded candidates, and not kids with IB. We are not EU and do not have same demands like in the EU. It is something to consider.

Or to put it differently, due to our size and somewhat insular nature of our country, we have different rules of the game, when it comes to education. I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you give it a chance. And you could cut huge amount of cost if you drop the idea that your kid needs to have IB. She doesn't really, if she will be on this side of the ocean. I am parent too, and understand that there is fear of unknown so staying on the same course feels more comfortable. However it is very expensive course in your case. You will figure it.

I do agree that we are lacking many of these programs found easily elsewhere (but we still educate kids very well, without having the exact same labels). MA is one of the best states for public school education in the US, often rivaling and surpassing many expensive private schools.

Cost of living is high due to great economy, excellent schools, safety, and great lifestyle this area offers (nature, beaches, skiing, proximity to NYC, NH, ME, VT).

Private schools are not tax deductible, and it is your free will to go out and spend that money. EU subsidize many costs for their citizens, and this will be shock to you all when you move to US. Many things will cost you more, including healthcare, so be careful with your budget until you get better handle and understanding of all of this.

For rental you will need first, last and security deposit at once to get the place (rarely you can get away with only first and last). Proof of employment will also help for lanlord to understand you are in US for good. It is customary, unless indicated otherwise for landlord to pay water bill and trash, but you pay for your own hot water, electricity, gas (if you have it), cable, phone, heat.

One more thing, you do need to understand that many places you will find online are long rented out, or simply put there as "lures". You will have to be careful. It is jungle out there.

Good luck.

Last edited by kingeorge; 01-08-2015 at 07:23 AM..

Old 01-08-2015, 07:40 AM

114 posts, read 323,212 times
I live in Winchester and think it would be perfect for you. A lot of houses that are rentals here are owned by people who are either on sabbatical or living temporarily overseas. If nothing else we have a really good bakery for daily bread:

Mamadou's Artisan Bakery - Winchester, MA > Home

Old 01-08-2015, 08:09 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaFan View Post
Thanks for the replies.
I was able to find a few houses for rent in Burlington and Winchester for around $3,000 a month. The idea is to rent closer to Cambridge for one year to enable our daughter to finish her French high school program at the ISB. Then we might move to Andover to be closer to work. And yes, we found that city really nice and it is more the type of area we are looking for. Too bad Andover public high school does not offer the International Baccalaureat option! Education is a real issue for us. The costs in the US are just outrageous and absolutely not justified! How do American parents manage to pay for their children education? Is it tax deductible? Are we missing something here?
I believe some of the public high schools in southern New Hampshire offer the IB. Ask the posters on that forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-hampshire/

Not a bad commute to Andover from there. The rentals would be less, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts