Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 14,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Although Weston has larger lots, the actual usable lot size isn't that much larger than what you get in Wellesley. Most lots in Weston are heavily forested or include unusable wetlands (basically conservation land that you can't build on, but still pay taxes for). Minimum lot size regulations are put in place by towns to ensure plenty of trees between homes for privacy. It's not like you can have a baseball field in your back yard just because you have a 2 acre lot. Most of these homes still only have a 15,000 square foot lawn. From what you describe it seems like Wellesley might be a better fit for your lifestyle.

If you do choose Weston, I would suggest the neighborhoods south of the Mass Pike. It's convenient to everything:
1) Weston Middle/High school campus
2) Rt-9 for shopping in Natick/Framingham
3) Closer to Newton/Wellesley for activities (gym, dance studios, tutoring, restaurants, etc.)
4) Easy access to the Mass Pike

Where will you be commuting for work? You may also want to look into Needham.
My husband will be commuting from the prudential center. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 09:49 AM

316 posts, read 724,012 times
Weston, as others have noted, is a much quieter and more rural-feeling town than Wellesley, which is busy and can be congested along Route 16 at times. I will defend Weston's center of town for a moment; it has a few shops, a couple of places to get breakfast, a small supermarket and some other basic amenities. In short, there's far more there than you'd find in some similarly wealthy small country-feeling towns like Lincoln, Sherborn, Dover or Carlisle for example, but nowhere near as much variety as more built-up Wellesley.

Someone asked if Lincoln is like "Weston-lite" and I would say no; Lincoln is probably more similar to Concord. It's a bit more artsy and generally older money than Weston; I grew up in nearby Wayland near the Lincoln and Weston lines and always felt as though Lincoln was actually kind of like Cambridge with trees :-) Lots of funky people, a surprisingly left-wing bent as a whole, etc...

Old 01-10-2015, 11:10 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
I lived for awhile as a kid in a little subdivision off Route 126 near Sherman's Bridge Rd. Anyway, both Lincoln and Weston have public lands and walking trails anyone can use but in Lincoln much of that land is managed for agriculture and/or kept in open in fields for the pastoral landscape effect rather than just woods. Lincoln does a lot more from an urban planning point of view to keep chunks of land undeveloped so a drive (or walk) through Lincoln feels more like country than in Weston where it's mostly one expensive looking house after another. Weston has the Lands Sake community farm however. Lincoln more liberal in politics, Weston more conservative I think. And Lincoln has some destinations-- Flints Pond, the deCordova museum, the Codman House, and Mass Audubon's Drumlin Farm. Lots of good stuff to do there.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:16 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professeurpablo View Post
Weston, as others have noted, is a much quieter and more rural-feeling town than Wellesley, which is busy and can be congested along Route 16 at times. I will defend Weston's center of town for a moment; it has a few shops, a couple of places to get breakfast, a small supermarket and some other basic amenities. In short, there's far more there than you'd find in some similarly wealthy small country-feeling towns like Lincoln, Sherborn, Dover or Carlisle for example, but nowhere near as much variety as more built-up Wellesley.

Someone asked if Lincoln is like "Weston-lite" and I would say no; Lincoln is probably more similar to Concord. It's a bit more artsy and generally older money than Weston; I grew up in nearby Wayland near the Lincoln and Weston lines and always felt as though Lincoln was actually kind of like Cambridge with trees :-) Lots of funky people, a surprisingly left-wing bent as a whole, etc...

Very accurate description of Lincoln. It is very unassuming town, there is nothing ostentatious about it, yet with most interesting and successful residents from all walks of life. It is one of my favorite towns in the area, and has lot to offer. Lincoln is not on the radar very often since RE is on a high side and its rural character is not everyone's cup of tea.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:16 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Lincoln has about the same number of businesses as Weston. The shopping area adjacent to the train station has a coffee shop/bakery, newly rebuilt Donelans grocery, post office and a few good places to eat.

Lincoln is more liberal, crunchy and agricultural than Weston. Both have old and newer money.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:38 AM

4 posts, read 5,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audemars View Post
We've now been in Weston for two years and love it. My wife and I have lived all over and this is hands down the friendliest town either of us have encountered. People go out of their way to be helpful and given the smaller population size than Wellesley (~11k), you're seldom more than one degree of separation from most residents. The larger lot sizes do offer privacy and I believe make folks a bit more tolerant of each other. You don't hear someone's tv or stereo when they live 300 yards away.

My wife was concerned when we first moved here about the challenge of meeting people, but like anyplace, it's what you make of it, whether you live on 0.25 or 2 acres. Our neighborhood is fairly large and yet most people socialize fairly frequently, meet up for walks and stop to chat while driving by or walking the dog. Sidewalks aren't necessary when you live on seldom traveled roads. The WCCA is the local parents' organization and most everyone with kids belongs. They have regular events for each age group, along with Moms' Nights In and the annual Father/Child camping night. This has been a fantastic way to meet people, and we recently marveled how many people we've come to know in such a short time.

The folks I've met here are down to earth and more cooperative than competitive. The massive success of some folks does keep a lid on things - there's no keeping up with the Joneses when the Joneses own the Celtics. That would make someone flaunting a car or house look pretty silly in comparison, and it's oddly freeing and puts the focus back where it belongs - on family and enjoying life rather than on who owns what. Good luck with your move.
We are moving to Weston later this year (without knowing a whole lot about the town) and I can't tell you how happy I am to read this post. Thanks for sharing the information about the WCCA - we will definitely join!

Old 03-03-2016, 09:27 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennoch View Post
We are moving to Weston later this year (without knowing a whole lot about the town) and I can't tell you how happy I am to read this post. Thanks for sharing the information about the WCCA - we will definitely join!
Congrats! What made you pick Weston?

Old 03-03-2016, 09:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Congrats! What made you pick Weston?
We wanted decent proximity to Boston. We looked at & loved Concord, Wayland & Lincoln. etc over the course of a few years (we were not in a rush to move) & finally happened onto a great house in Weston that we made an offer on. We may have actually like sone towns better but commute played a big role.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:27 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
We wanted decent proximity to Boston. We looked at & loved Concord, Wayland & Lincoln. etc over the course of a few years (we were not in a rush to move) & finally happened onto a great house in Weston that we made an offer on. We may have actually like sone towns better but commute played a big role.
Thanks! Sounds like based on the towns you looked at that you are the type of person who likes a large lot, privacy, and more of a semi-rural feel. Weston has a lot to offer. Enjoy your new home!

Old 03-07-2016, 08:31 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Not sure about the short commute, at least not this morning. I ran an errand in Weston and it took me 58 minutes to get to my office from the Walgreens! It's going to be bad for the next several years if you are driving in due to the MassPike construction. I'd recommend the train over driving even from a close-in suburb like Weston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts