Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 12:34 AM

6,572 posts, read 6,738,168 times

Advertisements

Patrick has left Massachusetts with a debt of a least a half billion dollars. I still think the Duke was the worst governor in modern times, but Patrick is right up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 06:23 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Was there just a thread on how amazing massachusetts is when it comes to 3rd lowest obesity and 5th longest life. People on here are always hyping why Mass. Is so great yet somehow the governor sucks? We just spoke about how we dont know exactly what the debt is but here we are trying to talk of how steep it truly is? C'mon guys, were better than that...so far the only thing, if anything you can fault the man for is a higher debt in much shakier economic times. I mean cmon...were always touting the stable economy, historic this historic that and now yall hate Deval? For EBT FRAUD? The reality is massachusetts has a tiny EBT fraud problem compare to every other urbanized diverse state in the nation, really. Fact check for yourself if you don't believe me. And being open to immigrants? AGAIN. Are u serious? This has ALWAYS been an immigrant driven state its how we thrive. And yea blame the governor for not wanting people to go hungry or get locked up in one of the most prosperous states in one of the most prosperous nation in the world. Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable how selfish some people sound on here. Im fine with charlie baker, but Deval was a good governor and we ought to show him some respect.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:27 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
You may have misunderstood recent developments. The two major utilities cape wind depended on have pulled out which basically eliminates any chance of cape wind happening.

I very well may have. That's horribly unfortunate. From talking to some people I know involved with the port, they say it isn't dead that the contract terminations aren't valid. Who knows.

I didn't like Deval overly much. Too timid for my taste, but no where near the worst.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:31 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Was there just a thread on how amazing massachusetts is when it comes to 3rd lowest obesity and 5th longest life. People on here are always hyping why Mass. Is so great yet somehow the governor sucks? We just spoke about how we dont know exactly what the debt is but here we are trying to talk of how steep it truly is? C'mon guys, were better than that...so far the only thing, if anything you can fault the man for is a higher debt in much shakier economic times. I mean cmon...were always touting the stable economy, historic this historic that and now yall hate Deval? For EBT FRAUD? The reality is massachusetts has a tiny EBT fraud problem compare to every other urbanized diverse state in the nation, really. Fact check for yourself if you don't believe me. And being open to immigrants? AGAIN. Are u serious? This has ALWAYS been an immigrant driven state its how we thrive. And yea blame the governor for not wanting people to go hungry or get locked up in one of the most prosperous states in one of the most prosperous nation in the world. Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable how selfish some people sound on here. Im fine with charlie baker, but Deval was a good governor and we ought to show him some respect.
You just said yourself on a different thread he didn't reach out to the black people very much.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint922 View Post
It seems we have a lot of Boston Herald readers on here...
I'm a New York Times reader. The new Boston Globe is almost getting up to that level. The old Boston Globe and Boston Herald are junk journalism in my book.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I very well may have. That's horribly unfortunate. From talking to some people I know involved with the port, they say it isn't dead that the contract terminations aren't valid. Who knows.

I didn't like Deval overly much. Too timid for my taste, but no where near the worst.

I hope there is some way to make it happen. We really need alternative energy.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:09 AM

24,485 posts, read 17,226,594 times
I don't think he was the worst Gov. but he seemed to be self serving and as my wife calls him smarmy which I think is a combination of Smug and Slimey.
I almost forgot the saddest no action Deval took was concerning the division of child services scandal. They had hundreds of kids go missing that they were supposed to be looking after and a few of the kids even died. The director in charge should have stepped down and Deval should have been outraged but instead he sided with the child services and simply said "they have a tough job". If I were the boss, the CEO, the Gov. and people were flat out not doing the job they were paid good money to do they would get the axe.
Another case that he should have stepped in on was when the state kidnapped that sick girl Justina Pellitier and her health declined for almost a year before she could go back to Conn. to be with her family.
Five things you need to know about Justina Pellitier, the young girl kidnapped by the government of Massachusetts - Tavern Keepers

This was a case of a state agency stepping beyond its bounds and the bounds of common sense. Pretty sad.

I think the best thing Deval ever did was when Elizabeth Warren was elected to the Senate. Warren looked like a deer in the headlights when she was being asked questions by a group of reporters questions that she should have been able to answer but she kept passing them to Deval, he finally got tired of it and said " I think you should take this one" .
I'm glad he stood up. And people think Warren would make a great president!

Anyways I do hope Mass will have a brighter future with Baker at the helm.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't think he was the worst Gov. but he seemed to be self serving and as my wife calls him smarmy which I think is a combination of Smug and Slimey.
I think Dukakis would win the prize for worst governor. He let the crazies out of the institutions out onto the streets when they had no other place to go, endangering themselves and the rest of us. In recent times, they have ended up in public housing with the elderly. And situations happen like the recent murders of seniors in North Andover. His famous cold hearted answer to the reporter's hypothetical question about the death penalty during his presidential run. The reporter asked if Dukakis would seek the death penalty against a rapist/murderer if his wife was the victim of the crime. And his current support of the Boston Marathon bomber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I almost forgot the saddest no action Deval took was concerning the division of child services scandal. They had hundreds of kids go missing that they were supposed to be looking after and a few of the kids even died. The director in charge should have stepped down and Deval should have been outraged but instead he sided with the child services and simply said "they have a tough job". If I were the boss, the CEO, the Gov. and people were flat out not doing the job they were paid good money to do they would get the axe.
Deval certainly took quick action against those two women who headed the Sex Offender Registry. The two women took action to add Deval's brother in law a convicted rapist to the public sex offender registry. The victim was Deval's own sister. Afraid of losing face, Deval immediately fired the two women.

Politicians who have no loyalty or compassion towards their own family members can't have much compassion for anyone.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:49 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I hope there is some way to make it happen. We really need alternative energy.

I agree that we need alternative energy, but cape wind was riddled with problems from the start. It is looking very unlikely at this point. The rate national grid was/might be purchasing power is multiple times higher than the base rate. Hopefully the governor will support another site for a wind farm and will push for other critical energy projects like the northern pass and the gas pipeline.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:57 AM

10,015 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I think Dukakis would win the prize for worst governor. He let the crazies out of the institutions out onto the streets when they had no other place to go, endangering themselves and the rest of us. In recent times, they have ended up in public housing with the elderly. And situations happen like the recent murders of seniors in North Andover. His famous cold hearted answer to the reporter's hypothetical question about the death penalty during his presidential run. The reporter asked if Dukakis would seek the death penalty against a rapist/murderer if his wife was the victim of the crime. And his current support of the Boston Marathon bomber.

Deval certainly took quick action against those two women who headed the Sex Offender Registry. The two women took action to add Deval's brother in law a convicted rapist to the public sex offender registry. The victim was Deval's own sister. Afraid of losing face, Deval immediately fired the two women.

Politicians who have no loyalty or compassion towards their own family members can't have much compassion for anyone.
Agree. Dukakis was the worst. Don't forget he never apologized for letting Willie Horton out on furlough.

Deval was trying to cover for his brother in law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts