Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 04:37 AM

371 posts, read 537,087 times

Advertisements

My son just accepted a job in Boston, near the common and the Park Street T station. He lives in Billerica near Nutting Lake. At first, he was thinking of driving to Alewife and taking the red line to Park Street, but now is considering that the commuter rail may be easier. He probably has a bit of leeway in when he arrives and leaves work, but mostly he will there 9-5. Which commuter rail station would be better, Wilmington or North Billerica? I guess I am wondering about the parking situation at both...is one better than another?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:14 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
Parking is prob better at N. Billerica, but not by much.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:19 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Parking is prob better at N. Billerica, but not by much.
Certainly better than trying Alewife. The only time I've ever gotten parking at Alewife is before 6:30am ... obviously weekends/holidays are much easier.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:39 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,637,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Certainly better than trying Alewife. The only time I've ever gotten parking at Alewife is before 6:30am ... obviously weekends/holidays are much easier.
You can't be serious. I've driven to Alewife all days all hours and have never had any difficulty getting a parking space there.

In the OPs situation, commuter rail would be a faster commute for the OP. I would drive to the Anderson Woburn station which has a huge parking lot.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:09 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
You can't be serious. I've driven to Alewife all days all hours and have never had any difficulty getting a parking space there.

In the OPs situation, commuter rail would be a faster commute for the OP. I would drive to the Anderson Woburn station which has a huge parking lot.
How recently have you parked there? I've had no luck with the garage in the past 6 months - time of arrival usually between 8am-9:30am. They were doing construction for most of the summer which certainly did not help the situation. I'm not the only one making these claims:

"Parking fills up by around 9am--and that assumes that they haven't roped off a good portion of the lot for construction, as they've been doing for the past 100 years or so."

"Got there at 10:00 AM today, totally full, had to pay $7 just to leave. No attendant on duty. Lots of construction, cars parked not in spaces. Doesn't seem like anyone cares. While when it used to work, it was great, if you can't get here early to get a space, I'd advise going somewhere else."

"Much more often than not, that garage is already long since full by 8 on weekday mornings. Rule out parking on the street close by - Cambridge requires a resident sticker or else you get towed, unless you're on a street with meters. Neighboring businesses have no compunction about having the vehicles of non-visitors hauled away also."

Comments ripped from yelp/city-data. Alewife is great on the weekends, but hell on weekdays.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:18 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,804,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
How recently have you parked there? I've had no luck with the garage in the past 6 months - time of arrival usually between 8am-9:30am. They were doing construction for most of the summer which certainly did not help the situation. I'm not the only one making these claims:

"Parking fills up by around 9am--and that assumes that they haven't roped off a good portion of the lot for construction, as they've been doing for the past 100 years or so."

"Got there at 10:00 AM today, totally full, had to pay $7 just to leave. No attendant on duty. Lots of construction, cars parked not in spaces. Doesn't seem like anyone cares. While when it used to work, it was great, if you can't get here early to get a space, I'd advise going somewhere else."

"Much more often than not, that garage is already long since full by 8 on weekday mornings. Rule out parking on the street close by - Cambridge requires a resident sticker or else you get towed, unless you're on a street with meters. Neighboring businesses have no compunction about having the vehicles of non-visitors hauled away also."

Comments ripped from yelp/city-data. Alewife is great on the weekends, but hell on weekdays.
I don't drive to Alewife that much anymore, but I've parked there maybe 2 or 3 times in the past few months. I haven't had any issues finding parking on the top level at 9am. There was still a steady flow of cars coming up the ramp at that time, so I can see how it could be full by 10am though.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:23 AM

3,685 posts, read 7,421,575 times
I would look at the 352 or 354 express bus from Burlington in to Boston. Less expensive than the commuter rail and it puts him closer to his office.

MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Bus > 352 - Burlington Express - Boston via Rte. 128 & I-93

MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Bus > 354 - Woburn Express - Boston via Woburn Sq. & I-93

Old 01-12-2015, 09:40 AM

419 posts, read 1,237,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post

I have always had a hard time getting a spot there. I don't even bother trying anymore.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:36 AM

371 posts, read 537,087 times
Thank you all for your replies. I like the idea of the express bus myself, and will mention the parking at Woburn as well.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:09 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,183 times
My data commutes to Alewife daily, gets there between 9:00 to 9:30 and has never had an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts