Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:41 PM

193 posts, read 276,231 times

Advertisements

JC Penney closed its Natick store, as well, and that spot filled immediately with Wegmans. I think JC Penney's closing may have more to do with the current financial condition of the company (poor) than with the quality of the malls it has left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 08:41 AM

12,615 posts, read 21,761,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwbms28 View Post
JC Penney closed its Natick store, as well, and that spot filled immediately with Wegmans. I think JC Penney's closing may have more to do with the current financial condition of the company (poor) than with the quality of the malls it has left.
Well it definitely has a lot to do with the company's financial condition, but the closures were strategic. Natick is more upscale (this is also true of Providence Place which also lost a JC Penney) and mid/lower end retailer like JC Penney doesn't see itself as part of that market for a mall that's becoming more upscale. Sears is probably next. On the other hand, The Silver City Galleria has been on a downhill slide for years. The vacancy rates there are approaching 50%, and the quality of retailers has been on a relatively large slide over the last decade. It's a mall in an area that's probably too saturated with malls and box retail. Within 30 minutes of Silver City, you have Westgate, Dartmouth Mall, South Shore Plaza, Providence Place, Swansea Mall, Emerald Square, Kingston Collection, etc. That's not to mention massive outdoor retail centers like Patriot Place, Legacy Place, Wrentham Village, Wareham Crossing, Mansfield Crossing, Colony Place, etc. Silver City has done some nice aesthetic work, and some positive changes have come about. There's a new Dave and Buster's type place that's going in, and the movie theater is getting a much needed renovation, but the heart of the mall is still in trouble. JC Penney left because Silver City was not profitable for them. That's the case for many other retailers that have left (and are still profitable elsewhere).

Old 09-16-2015, 11:20 AM

815 posts, read 985,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Well it definitely has a lot to do with the company's financial condition, but the closures were strategic. Natick is more upscale (this is also true of Providence Place which also lost a JC Penney) and mid/lower end retailer like JC Penney doesn't see itself as part of that market for a mall that's becoming more upscale.
JC Penny closed their doors at the Hanover Mall recently, and I wouldn't consider that mall upscale.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:26 AM

837 posts, read 1,218,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
JC Penny closed their doors at the Hanover Mall recently, and I wouldn't consider that mall upscale.
It was a ghost town in there (Penney's) whenever we stopped at that mall. Walmart probably grabs most of the business along with the AC Moore outlet center...if that's still open, that is.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
It was a ghost town in there (Penney's) whenever we stopped at that mall. Walmart probably grabs most of the business along with the AC Moore outlet center...if that's still open, that is.
AC Moore closed earlier this year, and just recently Radio Shack shut their doors too. And the Uno's right in front of the mall entrance closed too! Looks like they're doing something to it though and might be a restaurant again soon. But yeah that mall is usually dead. The wife and I only go there for Walmart and to occasionally eat at Moe's.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:09 PM

12,615 posts, read 21,761,835 times
Quote:
I never said JC Penney is closing only at upscale malls. Silver City in Taunton isn't remotely upscale either. JC Penney is scaling back due to their own financial issues and making decisions based on profitability. Some malls (Natick, Providence Place) are trending upscale and targeting demographics that are less inclined to shop at JC Penney. It doesn't make sense for them to pay a premium for rent when they're not getting good ROI at those places. They're also pulling out of malls that simply are driving the traffic into the store that the chain needs in order for that particular store to be profitable. That's where Taunton and Hanover fall. There are locations where there's the right balance for JC Penney (i.e. Dartmouth which is an active, thriving mall with a more middle class clientele), but higher end locations and dying malls aren't going to fit the bill.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
AC Moore closed earlier this year, and just recently Radio Shack shut their doors too. And the Uno's right in front of the mall entrance closed too! Looks like they're doing something to it though and might be a restaurant again soon. But yeah that mall is usually dead. The wife and I only go there for Walmart and to occasionally eat at Moe's.
Awww I knew AC Moore was closing but I didn't know when. It's been awhile since I've been down that way.

The Radio Shack down at the South Shore Plaza has closed too.

One thing I've noticed, particularly with the SSP, is the whole "we must upscale ourselves" mentality. I get it. OTOH I wouldn't consider the surrounding immediate area upscale by a long shot. Last Christmas I went there with a friend and took note that although there were tons of people there, most of them were window shopping. We saw very few people buying anything other than in Macy's and Target.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:52 PM

652 posts, read 743,479 times
JC Penney still exists?

Old 09-17-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
One thing I've noticed, particularly with the SSP, is the whole "we must upscale ourselves" mentality. I get it. OTOH I wouldn't consider the surrounding immediate area upscale by a long shot. Last Christmas I went there with a friend and took note that although there were tons of people there, most of them were window shopping. We saw very few people buying anything other than in Macy's and Target.
Yeah, the whole new section they built of that mall I don't even bother going to. I'm just not into "designer" clothing and don't see the justice of spending $100+ on a pair of jeans But they must be selling since they stay in business..

Old 09-17-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the whole new section they built of that mall I don't even bother going to. I'm just not into "designer" clothing and don't see the justice of spending $100+ on a pair of jeans But they must be selling since they stay in business..
I'm not into it either. It'll be interesting to see who stays in business over the long run, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts