Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:46 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
I would agree with Lowell as an option too but I think it exceeds the commute time requirement. Just getting out of Lowell during rush hour can take 15 or 20 min, plus the Rt. 3 interchange traffic can be a real PITA.
If the OP got a Loft space near the end of the Lowell connector it wouldn't be too bad. For example, when I lived at Loft 27, I could get from the parking lot to the 495 exchange in 2-5 minutes during the AM depending on whether I hit green lights. From the Tsongas arena area you're looking at 10-15. 495 south is 70-75 mph between Lowell and Hudson even during peak. Again, the key is finding an apartment with close connector access and minimal lights. Jackson, Appleton, Merrimack, And Rogers streets all provide good access. OP would want to avoid the Drum Hill/Chelmsford side of town as he'd want 495 access ... not rt. 3 (which as you stated, is a parking lot near Treble Cove).

Afternoon/evening traffic was always worse, particularly at the end of the Lowell connector. Events at Tsongas compound the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 11:35 PM

9 posts, read 10,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Where did you go to school?
I'll be coming from Penn State, so I know exactly zero people in this area.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Worcester seems cool; 20ish minute drive to Hudson and it seems more like a legit city...Any areas that you can recommend to look at for renting?

Lowell looks to be farther from both Hudson and Boston than I'd like...

I'm still considering Waltham for its proximity to the city...it is farther away from Hudson than Worcester is though. Not sure if worth it, especially if Waltham itself isn't that exciting.

And finally, a small, small part of me is thinking "screw it" and just finding a place in Hudson or Marlborough...So hard to decide. Your feedback has been great though; keep it coming!

Old 01-16-2015, 12:12 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstik View Post
I'll be coming from Penn State, so I know exactly zero people in this area.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Worcester seems cool; 20ish minute drive to Hudson and it seems more like a legit city...Any areas that you can recommend to look at for renting?

Lowell looks to be farther from both Hudson and Boston than I'd like...

I'm still considering Waltham for its proximity to the city...it is farther away from Hudson than Worcester is though. Not sure if worth it, especially if Waltham itself isn't that exciting.

And finally, a small, small part of me is thinking "screw it" and just finding a place in Hudson or Marlborough...So hard to decide. Your feedback has been great though; keep it coming!
I would recommend the Burncoat area, nice neighborhoods and good access to 290. This puts you in a much more residential area (just about as boring as Hudson), but makes the commute fit your timeframes. The "walkable" areas towards downtown with music and bars are a little sketchier. Like Lowell, parts of the city can be tough to get into and out of during rush hour. 290 can back up pretty bad when you commute home and being on that side of town will save you a lot of stop and go surface street traffic. It won't be as bad when you head to work on 290 as its a straight shot into Hudson and you won't be competing with the folks going on 495.

Do not rely on the times provided by Google Maps unless you are commuting in at 2AM. If your job is right off 495/290 you could probably commute to that side of Worcester in 30 minutes almost every day.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:56 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Live near Hudson. No need to spend five days a week fighting traffic and paying Mass Pike tolls. Save your money for the weekends.

Since you went to Penn State., contact your alumni office and ask them about any Boston area alumni groups. There should be one for MA. And rather than jump into bar hopping, take some time and think about other hobbies and extra curricular activities you like to do. Don't just drive into Boston to drink, go for good live music at a small club.

And you might find some friend-worthy co-workers at your new job.

Just don't be in such a rush to find good night life. Focus on settling into your new job and doing it really well. I'd recommend exploring the areas around you and then Worcester and Waltham/Boston in the daytime, so you can really get to know the geography. Check out some museums and walk the streets. Find some good lunch spots. You've really got so many years ahead of you to enjoy the nightlife, so don't worry that life will pass you by while you're working in Hudson. But doing your job well in Hudson will help you get that better next job closer to a city.

BTW what kind of job is it?

My boyfriend moved up here from FL eleven years ago. He was into motorsports and a self taught racecar mechanic. He got into the motorsports scene in the area. Through autocross and car meets, he got a good job and made a lot of friends. We just moved up to NH and he's made new friends up there through work.

Most of my friends are made through work or through my hobbies. And looking back, all my good friends and boyfriends were made during daylight hours, never at a bar or nightclub.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:34 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
You know yourself better than any of us do. Before I got my first real job I was out every night until 3am, even on weeknights. After I started my first job I was too tired to do anything after work. I always went straight home and vegged on the sofa. Going out was strictly a Friday-Sunday thing for me. Personally I'd just live close to work and go out on the weekends. When you are single and renting (i.e. don't have a million things to do on the weekends), a 45 minute drive to get to Boston isn't a big deal.

FWIW my wife works nearby and we live in the area. She says most of the 20-something year old singles at her company live in Marlborough. Worcester isn't that much farther and definitely has more things to do. She doesn't know any that actually commute from the immediate Boston area.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I'll be an engineer at Intel's Hudson branch.
Quote:
Check out some museums and walk the streets. Find some good lunch spots. You've really got so many years ahead of you to enjoy the nightlife, so don't worry that life will pass you by while you're working in Hudson.
I'm not really looking for clubbing and nightlife, but I would love to be able to just go out on foot from where I live to check out museums and live music around town. That's why Boston proper appeals to me more. It doesn't sound like living in Hudson would provide that. I'm just trying to find a good compromise between isolated suburban living and a long commute.
Quote:
I would recommend the Burncoat area, ... (just about as boring as Hudson)
Well if it's just as boring as Hudson, then I might as well live in Hudson, no? Should I be living closer to the center of Worcester instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
my wife ... says most of the 20-something year old singles at her company live in Marlborough.
Marlborough will probably be my pick if the other areas (Worcester, Waltham) end up not being worth the extra commute.

Thanks again, everyone, for the invaluable advice!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Check out some museums and walk the streets. Find some good lunch spots. You've really got so many years ahead of you to enjoy the nightlife, so don't worry that life will pass you by while you're working in Hudson.
I'm not really looking for clubbing and nightlife, but I would love to be able to just go out on foot from where I live to check out museums and live music around town. That's why Boston proper appeals to me more. It doesn't sound like living in Hudson would provide that. I'm just trying to find a good compromise between isolated suburban living and a long commute.
Quote:
I would recommend the Burncoat area, ... (just about as boring as Hudson)
Well if it's just as boring as Hudson, then I might as well live in Hudson, no? Should I be living closer to the center of Worcester instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
my wife ... says most of the 20-something year old singles at her company live in Marlborough.
Marlborough will probably be my pick if the other areas (Worcester, Waltham) end up not being worth the extra commute.

Thanks again, everyone, for the invaluable advice!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
I'll be coming from Penn State, so I know exactly zero people in this area. !

So, one thing to throw out there then, being a B10 alumn myself, is that Boston has a very large B10 network. Each college has their own location (bar) for games. I believe Michigan actually has 3 different ones it is so big. Wisconsin (mine) has one, as does PSU. It's a great way to meet people.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:11 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Quote:
Didn't they just lay off a couple thousand employees in the past year?

Old 01-16-2015, 01:28 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
What about living in Maynard? Eight miles away along Rt. 117. The town center is small, but nice. Then keep going east on Rt. 117 to get to Waltham etc...

And Acton, West Concord and Concord are close by and have commuter rail stops which you can take into Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts