Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 06:11 AM

5 posts, read 14,488 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are born & raised on the lower Cape, living in Eastham right now. We're buying our first house in Mashpee because we just happened to have found the perfect house for us and our two boys, but I've never spent much time up there. Can someone let me in on what the community is like there? The schools? Our oldest will be starting kindergarten in the fall and I'm really nervous about him going into a bigger school that I know nothing about (Eastham Elementary is a tiny school, his entire kindergarten grade has 18 kids in it! That's why I loved it and am kind of sad about him not going there). I know it sounds silly and maybe you won't understand unless you're a Cape Cod native, but to us lower-Cape people the upper Cape area (Mashpee, Falmouth, etc) is like a whole other world. I know it's just as beautiful and seems like there is a ton to do, but I'm just clueless as to what it's like. Anyone have any good family practice/pediatricians office recommendations, also? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 07:24 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
I live in a neighboring town and while I don't know Mashpee well, I do know a little about the schools and the culture. You will find a great deal of difference in the quality of education in Mashpee compared to Eastham. Unfortunately, it will not be for the better. Mashpee is better known for their football and basketball teams than they are their academics. They take those sports very seriously. Do a google search of Rockland and Mashpee basketball. They are fierce rivals with very similar populations. Hopefully seeing a classmate arrested and charged with a felony was enough to keep the trash talking to just that- talk in future contests. I saw some of the other comments made by both sides and actually attended a game. The tension was palpable. But when this type of culture exists, it is for a reason.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 AM

24,496 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Being in Brewster I'm in between the 2 towns and my take is Mashpee is alot faster and busier than Eastham. Of course as you know there is more commerce there, more employment opportunity, more to do year round and like beachcomber may have suggested more chance for your child to get caught up in some of the negatives. I grew up in a town that bordered Rockland and it was kind of a tough town and still is but remember that school is what the child makes of it and with proper guidance your little ones should be fine.
Hopefully when selling your home in Eastham you were able to buy more house moving to Mashpee. At least you won't have to worry about the water anymore.
Good luck

Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 AM

5 posts, read 14,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Hopefully when selling your home in Eastham you were able to buy more house moving to Mashpee. At least you won't have to worry about the water anymore.
Good luck
Thank you! This is actually our first home that we're buying, we've been renting up until this. And the house we're getting is currently on Well water, but we're getting that converted ASAP because, ya know, radioactive ground water and all. Haha We'll see how the next couple of months goes before we actually get the keys and make the move, I have a lot of exploring the area to do!

Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 AM

24,496 posts, read 17,239,538 times
My RE office recently sold a property in Mashpee for cheap money but it was a real fixer upper. To help the out of state owner I did a lot of work over there in getting it ready for sale and spent several weeks there.
I don't know much about the town but I think it is a nice place and despite RT28 it is one of those "forgotten" towns nestled between the "city" of Hyannis and the town of Falmouth and Woods Hole.
I'm excited for you and this being your first home. I believe you are making a smart move.
Good luck!

Old 07-29-2017, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,000 times
Hi Mothra19, I'm moving to Mashpee with my family, 2 young school age kids. I love the nature in that town and the ponds and proximity to shopping. I'm wondering how you've found the schools, pediatricians, etc. Any pointers for our big move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts