Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 08:16 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I guess people are supposed to just show up at the commuter rail station and do a rain dance or maybe a train dance to bring forth the train.
That's highly recommended, actually, as it'll help prevent you from freezing to the platform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 08:53 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
The MBTA website is really useless. They post alert messages about the commuter rail lines being delayed with a link. Then on the page that is supposed to have information on which lines and what times are delayed, there is only information about subway delays.

I guess people are supposed to just show up at the commuter rail station and do a rain dance or maybe a train dance to bring forth the train.
Got the T alert about my 60 minute delayed train last night 3 hours after scheduled departure and 30 minutes after I pulled into my driveway.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:16 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post

A teacher needs to be prepared to do this. They need to have been trained; the campus has to have the infrastructure (and licenses) to support this sort of thing. If a class was already offered online, then yes, nothing changes. But if a class was intended to be offered on campus, it's not such a simple matter to just switch it to online, on a mass scale as you're suggesting, while staff as well as faculty are at home.

The basic Blackboard product most campuses have (Blackboard Learn) provides an asynchronous model - discussion boards and the like. That does NOT mirror a live, synchronous class. The webcams you mentioned would be for use with a synchronous technology such as Blackboard Collaborate, but that costs extra and would need to have been purchased and implemented ahead of time.

And do you have any idea how many man-hours of work, and how much money, it takes to prepare a decent course for Coursera, which is by the way a MOOC and a completely different model from a traditionally sized course?
I know Coursera classes can cost a fair amount (five figures). But at the same point it can reach more people because frankly anything of a holiday is tossed out the window. Also with video production the costs are generally initial that is the price of a hotset if needed is fixed. The price of technology keeps dropping enabling more access.

Classes are already online though with the Greenfield system from K12
How It Works | Massachusetts Virtual Academy at Greenfield | Massachusetts Virtual Academy at Greenfield
It's already been around now for a few years. Now I'll admit the intent is not to replace most high school but the fact of the matter is the demographics they target start to add up.

"Massachusetts Virtual Academy at Greenfield serve Massachusetts students statewide in grades K–12 who are able to successfully participate in a virtual school environment. Several target groups of students have been identified who will have priority for acceptance:

Students currently enrolled in the Massachusetts Virtual Academy at Greenfield;
Students who reside in Greenfield, Massachusetts;
Students with disabilities;
Students out of school due to pregnancy or parenting;
Students who have been bullied or who are out of school due to other safety concerns;
Students who seek an advanced coursework not available in their current school;
Students who must work during the day; and
Students in training for competitive arts or sports"

Schoolspring already has ads for many of the positions so it is still going the same route as one would court traditional teachers.
Making a synchronous class should not be that hard given IRC and webcams. How big do we want classes to technically be. I've had Google Hangouts with nearly a dozen people which could be a graduate school setting. If you hire more teachers that's fine because the fixed cost of maintaining a building eventually make it more unattractive to do in a physical setting. Where I live we had to put in new school roofs at a high costs and the state is paying for half. The idea of "place" being a factor means less.

Even if this was just supplemental to a point it would still help. An extra class during the summer to help with the fall, a SAT refresher in the spring, coverage during significant snowstorms etc.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:53 PM

6,572 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Just heard the MBTA parked ALL their trains for the storm....in the past the T ran trains all night to keep the track from freezing up. If true, it's mind-blowing that such basic "institutional memory" on how to keep the tracks from freezing was tossed aside.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:33 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times
Default re

The trains were still awful today it sounds like?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:04 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
The MBTA is funded by a patchwork of taxes. Baker needs to consolidate an income stream & fund the system on a level basis. Boston is fast becoming a major international hub, for good or ill, and being such, the state needs to step-up & fund the system properly. As for pension & management reform....it would be nice, but doubtful, considering the history of the state & its rampant nepotism. It's ingrained in the DNA of the culture.
You said it all and agree! More money, more money and for what. The state is and always be rife with nepotism and the outdated pension system. I'm hoping Baker can make some changes as he isn't the usual
liberal type governor that where accustomed too. It's time for change and let's hope Charlie can get some done.

I believe he will.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:53 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
You said it all and agree! More money, more money and for what. The state is and always be rife with nepotism and the outdated pension system. I'm hoping Baker can make some changes as he isn't the usual
liberal type governor that where accustomed too. It's time for change and let's hope Charlie can get some done.

I believe he will.
I don't know if our new governor or any Republican politics can change things but it sure seems like this fiasco is due to dirty politics. Big Dig, Toll Takers, anything in which the state is involved. Hire your unqualified relative and pay them many times more than they're worth. Then let them retire early with a hefty pension.

Somebody needs to have the guts to say no. Somebody has to put a stop to it. I'd like to see it go into receivership with outside consultants coming in and trimming the fat. A lot of our state money goes to waste like this. Somebody should check on UMass Amherst which is another money guzzling outrage.

On tv the results of a poll were shown and more than 1/3 of the people polled believe this mess is due to mismanagement. It needs to be reformed and cleaned up. Just because conditions improve after the snow is cleared, let's not shove it under the carper and forget about it.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:14 AM

3,785 posts, read 2,694,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't know if our new governor or any Republican politics can change things but it sure seems like this fiasco is due to dirty politics. Big Dig, Toll Takers, anything in which the state is involved. Hire your unqualified relative and pay them many times more than they're worth. Then let them retire early with a hefty pension.

Somebody needs to have the guts to say no. Somebody has to put a stop to it. I'd like to see it go into receivership with outside consultants coming in and trimming the fat. A lot of our state money goes to waste like this. Somebody should check on UMass Amherst which is another money guzzling outrage.

On tv the results of a poll were shown and more than 1/3 of the people polled believe this mess is due to mismanagement. It needs to be reformed and cleaned up. Just because conditions improve after the snow is cleared, let's not shove it under the carper and forget about it.
Receivership is probably the only answer to impose meaningful pension reform.

Get rid of the defined benefit plans and put them on defined contribution like the rest of us are stuck with. The mismanagement of the snow events has revealed that they're not the cream of the crop; stop rewarding them like they are.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:10 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Get rid of the defined benefit plans and put them on defined contribution like the rest of us are stuck with.

The exact opposite way our society should be going. Stop the race to the bottom.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:19 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,421,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The exact opposite way our society should be going. Stop the race to the bottom.
Life expectancy is pushing 80. There's no sustainable economy where you can work 20-25 years and expect pension at near peak salary for the remainder 30-40 years of your life in an era when our population growth is barely at replacement. And this is exactly what many of our public employees get, they have become a class upon themselves, at the private sector's dime.

It's not a race to the bottom to state basic mathematical reality. Putting your head in the sand, and wishing it weren't so doesn't make the problem go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts