Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 03:13 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times

Advertisements

To avoid all the crazy, rude, harried and distracted masses, park as far away form them as possible. Walking is a great form of exercise.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 03:25 PM

9,088 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
It's not just one incident. People here are ruder than in other places I've lived. There are lots of nice people, don't get me wrong, but it only takes a few real jerks to make it seem like people are rude. And I don't know why. Part of it is probably density, part of it weather, and part of it is cultural.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Population density. This might answer the reason why: How the city hurts your brain - The Boston Globe
Definitely density, studies have been conducted with rodents and other smaller organisms which provide evidence that population density above a certain threshold will cause the members of the species to turn on each other. I am sure the threshold for this phenomenon differs across species but the principle remains in effect for all organisms. I suspect it is evolutionary to discourage species from growing so large as to deplete natural resources required for survival.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:26 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,388 times
Southerners may secretly be Bible Thumpers but the mood on the street down there is social and welcoming. There's a lot to be said for outward human decency, which New Englanders don't do well. I'm not trepidatious of going out alone in a southern city or out west, because people are open to the idea of chatting with a stranger. In MA, I rarely go out alone, because it usually just results in feeling more lonely, because no one will hardly make eye contact with you. Defenders say it's because here in New England, it's because we're "less fake" - be that as it may, I actually enjoy small talk and saying hi to people I pass on a sidewalk, or acknowledging the person next to me at a bar or at the park or whatever, but New England's vibe has a way of sucking the joy out of human interaction. People look at you like you have six heads or often simply ignore you if you dare say "hi, how are you?" We may be liberal in politics, but absolutely stunted in basic human kindness. We are also oppressed by a high COL and a few leftover blue laws that prove we hate fun. This is a very rat-race region. Other places I've traveled, to similar-sized cities down south, in the Midwest and out west, and Canada, are noticeably more laid-back and friendly - my conclusion is it's a problem inherent throughout the NE Megalopolis that becomes especially acute in urban New England.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:35 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Definitely density, studies have been conducted with rodents and other smaller organisms which provide evidence that population density above a certain threshold will cause the members of the species to turn on each other. I am sure the threshold for this phenomenon differs across species but the principle remains in effect for all organisms. I suspect it is evolutionary to discourage species from growing so large as to deplete natural resources required for survival.
Density is part, but have you ever been to Tokoyo or Hong Kong? Density isn't everything!

Old 01-24-2015, 03:46 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
I went to college in Boston, some of the locals can be standoffish, cold and rude and some are very friendly it depends. The college students I met that were not from Boston actually were from over the country seemed to love Boston, I was friends at BU and I hung out with almost all international students and we got along very well.

Last edited by UKWildcat1981; 01-24-2015 at 04:10 PM..

Old 01-24-2015, 03:52 PM

9,088 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Density is part, but have you ever been to Tokoyo or Hong Kong? Density isn't everything!
No, I have not been to Tokyo or Hong Kong. However it is interesting that Japan (Tokyo) has one of the lowest birth rates in the world which makes me wonder if their extreme density has impacted their reproductive activities? I read somewhere that younger Japanese males are now failing to form relationships with their female counterparts.

Why have young people in Japan stopped having sex? | World news | The Guardian

Some really bizarre social trends are developing in those super dense locations these days.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Southerners may secretly be Bible Thumpers but the mood on the street down there is social and welcoming. There's a lot to be said for outward human decency, which New Englanders don't do well. I'm not trepidatious of going out alone in a southern city or out west, because people are open to the idea of chatting with a stranger. In MA, I rarely go out alone, because it usually just results in feeling more lonely, because no one will hardly make eye contact with you. Defenders say it's because here in New England, it's because we're "less fake" - be that as it may, I actually enjoy small talk and saying hi to people I pass on a sidewalk, or acknowledging the person next to me at a bar or at the park or whatever, but New England's vibe has a way of sucking the joy out of human interaction. People look at you like you have six heads or often simply ignore you if you dare say "hi, how are you?" We may be liberal in politics, but absolutely stunted in basic human kindness. We are also oppressed by a high COL and a few leftover blue laws that prove we hate fun. This is a very rat-race region. Other places I've traveled, to similar-sized cities down south, in the Midwest and out west, and Canada, are noticeably more laid-back and friendly - my conclusion is it's a problem inherent throughout the NE Megalopolis that becomes especially acute in urban New England.
This is what I noticed when I moved from the Midwest to Boston for college thats why i hung out with mostly internationals students. Great post and for the most part true, I did have a few friends from Wellesley and Newton and the citizens were really outgoing and friendly in those towns but in the city of Boston itself not as much.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:20 PM

402 posts, read 686,495 times
Quote:
It's not just one incident. People here are ruder than in other places I've lived. There are lots of nice people, don't get me wrong, but it only takes a few real jerks to make it seem like people are rude. And I don't know why. Part of it is probably density, part of it weather, and part of it is cultural.
True this

Old 01-24-2015, 04:21 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times
Maybe liberal people aren't nice

Old 01-24-2015, 04:26 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times
It's funny, when in was younger I always thought I'd want to live in boston proper my Whole lIfe. It seemed so posh, so cool, so much to do. Maybe it is if you're rich? These days when I'm in the city I'm usually digusted by the crowds of people. People really can be rude and it does seem like boston has become overpopUlated. I'd much rather live in a more rural area these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts