Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 09:31 AM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I guess I don't understand why any intelligent person would even try it.
I don't think anyone who is truly intelligent is trying heroin. Intelligence is not a widespread human trait. I ascribe to the belief that being educated does not equal becoming intelligent. Stupid people can get through college quite easily these days.

Educated =/= Intelligent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 10:30 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I don't think anyone who is truly intelligent is trying heroin. Intelligence is not a widespread human trait. I ascribe to the belief that being educated does not equal becoming intelligent. Stupid people can get through college quite easily these days.

Educated =/= Intelligent
Agreed that there are intelligent people who are not educated and intelligent people who are educated--of course. But the DARE programs in school are usually aimed at all kids and so much effort has been put into making sure kids know the consequences of taking drugs. Beyond that, so many celebrities have died from drug overdoses--the examples are out there for anyone to see. People are aware, yet they turn to drugs anyway. It's pretty sad how our society has failed in this respect.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:23 AM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
I guess I don't understand why any intelligent person would even try it.
Because we have raised a society of pansies unable to deal with life's hardships, challenges and disappointments without that quick fix or "escape".

Old 02-08-2015, 11:35 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Because we have raised a society of pansies unable to deal with life's hardships, challenges and disappointments without that quick fix or "escape".
That could be the best answer. They never learned what it was like to lose and so they never learned to cope. The so called Special Snowflakes who got a medal even if they came in last. The ones whose mommy or daddy ran to the school complaining when their little darling got punished for disrupting the class.

Mentally, they never learned how to recover from a mishap or disappointment, never learned to cope.

If that's the answer I can understand how drugs have become so widespread and are everywhere today.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:24 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
That could be the best answer. They never learned what it was like to lose and so they never learned to cope. The so called Special Snowflakes who got a medal even if they came in last. The ones whose mommy or daddy ran to the school complaining when their little darling got punished for disrupting the class.

Mentally, they never learned how to recover from a mishap or disappointment, never learned to cope.

If that's the answer I can understand how drugs have become so widespread and are everywhere today.
If that is the answer then the heroin problem is a lost cause because we cannot recondition people from that type of upbringing. It is said that childhood is the time when people are most impressionable. To try to change that mindset in someone else as an adult is probably impossible and I say this as an optimist who has never shied away from a reasonable challenge.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:19 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Drugs are a problem everywhere...if you don't think so you have been hiding under a rock.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:34 AM

238 posts, read 326,777 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone who is truly intelligent is trying heroin.
I have to disagree. The causes of addiction are complex and I've seen no research that correlates it to intelligence. In some cases its roots are found in heredity and from growing up in dysfunction. Emotionally unhealthy people can, at the same time, be extremely intelligent. Our society is filled with "functional" people who are addicted to alcohol. Many are very smart and yet, they go out and douse their brains with booze each night. Addiction can progress based on a lot of factors. Some can go from alcohol to pot, to heroin in a short period of time. Others will maintain addiction to a drug on the lower end of the spectrum.

Quote:
Educated =/= Intelligent
I agree wholeheartedly. Observations of certain professional people will quickly demonstrate this. Many are highly educated morons. At the same time, just as many tradesmen with no college education show high IQ when tested. Comparatively speaking, very little in the world is black and white.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:38 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydew View Post
I have to disagree. The causes of addiction are complex and I've seen no research that correlates it to intelligence. In some cases its roots are found in heredity and from growing up in dysfunction. Emotionally unhealthy people can, at the same time, be extremely intelligent. Our society is filled with "functional" people who are addicted to alcohol. Many are very smart and yet, they go out and douse their brains with booze each night. Addiction can progress based on a lot of factors. Some can go from alcohol to pot, to heroin in a short period of time. Others will maintain addiction to a drug on the lower end of the spectrum.

I have to agree. I know loads of very very bright people that fell into addiction. Some got out, some didn't. Such a waste for the latter, as they were some of the very brightest people I've met.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
This might explain a lot of things in our society that have become outlets for people to escape reality. I would also apply this in many cases to alcohol use. The hypocrisy is we condemn the heroin addict while we joke lightheartedly about alcoholism.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
But the DARE programs in school are usually aimed at all kids and so much effort has been put into making sure kids know the consequences of taking drugs.
This program has been pretty much proven to be ineffective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts