Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:40 AM

613 posts, read 944,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
If you move to Concord, you get a free Volvo wagon with a Cousteau Society sticker.
OK, I'm in! I'll just add my own Eliz. Warren sticker. (I'm not even kidding-hah).

But seriously, I've loved Concord since I first got to know it in the 1970's. And any of the people I ever knew there; I don't remember as being some kind of pretentious liberals--maybe that's more just the image or idea that people have of it.........Sudbury's nice too. I don't know how either would fit with the OP's commutes tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 09:15 AM

226 posts, read 386,488 times
Okay haterz... I don't live in Lincoln or Concord, but I think the people there are perfectly nice. Yes, they are rich and yes they are pretentious... but this is NEW ENGLAND. every rich town is pretentious in its own way and i think Lex/Lincoln/Concord style pretense is way easier to live with than Wellesley style pretense. Money is better spent on philanthropy than on having 6 Range Rovers, wouldn't you agree?

Old 01-30-2015, 11:35 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
I don't think these towns are pretentious, not in a world of well-off towns. I think they're very New England, as in, "We don't show our money, we *have* our money." No shortage of people there who work for a living and nary a Range Rover to be seen.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:24 AM

613 posts, read 944,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptkitten View Post
Okay haterz... I don't live in Lincoln or Concord, but I think the people there are perfectly nice. Yes, they are rich and yes they are pretentious... but this is NEW ENGLAND. every rich town is pretentious in its own way and i think Lex/Lincoln/Concord style pretense is way easier to live with than Wellesley style pretense. Money is better spent on philanthropy than on having 6 Range Rovers, wouldn't you agree?
I find that humorous, & IMO true, that: "i think Lex/Lincoln/Concord style pretense is way easier to live with than Wellesley style pretense."

Also, where are super-yuppies or people with wealth supposed to live in the Boston 'burbs? Malden? Medford? (nothing against those town; just throwing out examples).

You mentioned Lexington: There are still middle-aged, & older, middle-class people in Lexington who bought fairly modest houses 15-20-30 years ago. Most of those that I ever encountered just seemed like "normal" down-to-earth people. Friendly even. The yuppie invasion, with the McMansions, they're a "different breed". I can't even tell if they're pretentious, most of them never speak to anyone else or interact.

Last person I sort of knew who lived in Concord; seemed like a really nice "normal" guy. Had a used Porsche 911, but he was a real "car guy"--just loved Porsches. My point is that there may be some truth to the stereotypes, but I think it's far from the whole story.......

Old 01-31-2015, 12:17 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
I find that humorous, & IMO true, that: "i think Lex/Lincoln/Concord style pretense is way easier to live with than Wellesley style pretense."

Also, where are super-yuppies or people with wealth supposed to live in the Boston 'burbs? Malden? Medford? (nothing against those town; just throwing out examples).

You mentioned Lexington: There are still middle-aged, & older, middle-class people in Lexington who bought fairly modest houses 15-20-30 years ago. Most of those that I ever encountered just seemed like "normal" down-to-earth people. Friendly even. The yuppie invasion, with the McMansions, they're a "different breed". I can't even tell if they're pretentious, most of them never speak to anyone else or interact.

Last person I sort of knew who lived in Concord; seemed like a really nice "normal" guy. Had a used Porsche 911, but he was a real "car guy"--just loved Porsches. My point is that there may be some truth to the stereotypes, but I think it's far from the whole story.......

I find Lexington less condescending and opinionated than Concord and Lincoln. Lexington is not as contained as Concord and Lincoln. The Concordian hypothesizes about the poor whereas the Lexington person may have actually seen a poor person or two or may have even started out poor and worked hard to get ahead in life.

I don't find any of these towns pretentious.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 01-31-2015 at 12:31 PM..

Old 01-31-2015, 12:31 PM

226 posts, read 386,488 times
The local McMansion people are a mysterious breed.... You hardly see and hear from them because both husband and wife are too busy working long hours to pay for their McMansion!!!

It's true... Lexington people are some of the friendliest I've met in the area. They have an amazing, connected community and it makes for a happy inclusive place.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:20 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,808,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptkitten View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I don't think these towns are pretentious, not in a world of well-off towns. I think they're very New England, as in, "We don't show our money, we *have* our money." No shortage of people there who work for a living and nary a Range Rover to be seen.
Very true. I've said this before and I'll say it again. Go to the Lincoln resident-only commuter rail lot on a weekday and you'll find about 20 cars, of which only 2 or 3 are luxury cars. Now go to the Wellesley Farms commuter lot and you'll find over 50% are luxury cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts