Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 09:42 AM

11 posts, read 16,444 times

Advertisements

Searching for single family houses and came across nice listings in Boylston. few minutes to 290/495 interchange.

I have been searching in metro west areas like Grafton, Shrewsbury, Harvard.. but not sure why Boylston was off my radar.

Recently came across some nice listings in Boylston, so want to know more about the town.

Appreciate if you have any comments about the town, school, community etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 11:09 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsatz View Post
Searching for single family houses and came across nice listings in Boylston. few minutes to 290/495 interchange.

I have been searching in metro west areas like Grafton, Shrewsbury, Harvard.. but not sure why Boylston was off my radar.

Recently came across some nice listings in Boylston, so want to know more about the town.

Appreciate if you have any comments about the town, school, community etc.
I grew up next door in the north side of Shrewsbury ...quite close to 140/Boylston.

It is a perfectly fine town which shares a school district with it's more rural neighbor, Berlin. The southwest side of town dense, exurban, and suffers from commercial sprawl, as one would expect being so close to Worcester ... but really, no different then Shrewsbury's west side. This said, much of central and north east Boylston still has a rural feel and relatively low density (by eastern MA standards), particularly around the reservoir and rt. 70. Certainly more rural in feel compared to Shrewsbury, which continues to develop every inch of town.

Of the towns you have mentioned, Harvard is certainly on a higher plane. It is a truly affluent town which has had a far more controlled growth compared to Shrewsbury, Grafton, or Boylston ... this of course keeps inventory low and prices high. I would consider Grafton to be the least desirable of the towns mentioned.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:19 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
I felt the need, given my recent bump in utility costs, to note that one advantage Shrewsbury has over the other mentioned towns is a lower operating cost. While Shrewsbury has the obvious advantage of low tax rates, it also has it's own utilities (SELCO) and their per kilowatt costs are cheap. Internet/Cable is also very affordable compared to alternatives (Comcast/Verizon).

When I compare my parents SELCO bill to my National Grid bill, well, I feel like I've been involved in a mob shakedown.

SELCO bill: .13XX per kilowatt
National Grid: .24XX per kilowatt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts