Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 05:04 PM

6 posts, read 6,929 times

Advertisements

We've been looking at a single family house in northeastern MA. It's a subdivision of 6 lots and 3 of them have drainage easement, and the HOA is for all 6 lots. The house we looked at has the longest swale, about 300ft long, because it has a long driveway. I'm wondering how the existence of swale and HOA affect the value of the house.

Also, now the easement are all covered by snow, so we only see it on drawing and don't know how it actually look like, what should we ask the builder?

There're something in the HOA agreement saying "no salt for the driveway" and "no fertilizer, pesticide, herbicide for designated storm water area". So how do I deice the long driveway in winter? Also, how do I prevent weed in the swale if i can't use pesticide and herbicide in the swale?

Last question is, how could the HOA potentially give me trouble, assuming I do my regular maintainance?

Thank you very much for your help!

Sherry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 05:14 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,637,296 times
There is a product called Ice-Melt that is not salt and is very pet, septic and environment safe. You can buy it at a pet store or Walgreens.

I'm guessing the swale is contained in protected wetlands and there may be other regulations over the land you need to learn about. Contact the town conservation committee to find out what they can tell you. They may also have some environment friendly tips for handling the weeds if you do make an offer on this home.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:39 PM

Hi 495 neighbor, thank you very much for your reply. Is the Ice-Melt a feasible solution for a 300-ft driveway? or is it very expensive and you only use it on your doorway etc?

The swale in to collect stormwater in the subdivisions and eventually linked to wetland in another lot.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:17 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Shop Ice Melt at Lowes.com!

This is an example of the pricing. I think the problem is with actual sodium, not calcium or magnesium forms. But you should still be careful of your lawn and of getting it where dogs walk.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:47 PM

3,685 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Welcome to C-D!

In all likelihood, the no chemicals mandate is a function of the Order of Conditions from the local Conservation Commission, it's only being highlighted by the HOA. The Order of Conditions is a legal document and will be referenced by each deed in the subdivision and filed with the Registry of Deeds. It's not the HOA that will give you trouble if you don't follow these provisions, it will be the town's Conservation Commission. I've built houses in Haverhill, Georgetown, Newbury and Salisbury and all had wetlands and drainage issues to contend with.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:06 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueky21 View Post
Hi 495 neighbor, thank you very much for your reply. Is the Ice-Melt a feasible solution for a 300-ft driveway? or is it very expensive and you only use it on your doorway etc?

The swale in to collect stormwater in the subdivisions and eventually linked to wetland in another lot.
Why would you have to deice the whole driveway? Is it required by the HOA?

I don't know anyone who does that.

I know a few who deice a small area in front of a door, but no one who does their whole driveway.

I have a 100+foot driveway with a three car turn around, for over 30 years I have never deiced any of it.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
[url=http://www.lowes.com/Outdoors/Snow-Removal-Prep/Ice-Melt/_/N-1z0wg7l/pl#]Shop Ice Melt at Lowes.com[/url]!

This is an example of the pricing. I think the problem is with actual sodium, not calcium or magnesium forms. But you should still be careful of your lawn and of getting it where dogs walk.
Thank you for the link. I'm glad it doesn't cost too much, I was afraid of a significantly higher cost than that of the regular salt.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:44 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I've never used salt on any of my driveways in the wintertime. Not in Concord, Cambridge, Newton or up in NH. We've just shoveled or used a snowblower to clear down to the gravel or pavement. The NH driveway is on a hill and we've only had to use sand once and for just where we were walking.

Also, in the wintertime we always put good snow tires on our cars.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Welcome to C-D!

In all likelihood, the no chemicals mandate is a function of the Order of Conditions from the local Conservation Commission, it's only being highlighted by the HOA. The Order of Conditions is a legal document and will be referenced by each deed in the subdivision and filed with the Registry of Deeds. It's not the HOA that will give you trouble if you don't follow these provisions, it will be the town's Conservation Commission. I've built houses in Haverhill, Georgetown, Newbury and Salisbury and all had wetlands and drainage issues to contend with.
Thank you very much, I think you're right, it's related to local Conservation Commission requirements. I'm wondering if you know how people normally maintain their lawn free of weed under such constrains. I'm not aware of solutions without using fertilizer etc, but I guess if the rule is in place, people must have find ways to maintain their lawns.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Why would you have to deice the whole driveway? Is it required by the HOA?

I don't know anyone who does that.

I know a few who deice a small area in front of a door, but no one who does their whole driveway.

I have a 100+foot driveway with a three car turn around, for over 30 years I have never deiced any of it.
Thanks for your reply, I didn't know if deicing the whole driveway is necessary, I was just imagining if there's thin ice, one might use salt to deice it. If it is save to drive, I would not want to go that extra mile to deice it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts