Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 04:14 PM

62 posts, read 69,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
Just a personal anecdote about the Town Spa.

I think perhaps they have changed the recipe in the last three years or so--still delicious but I sense a change that makes the tomato part of the sauce too sweet.

The personal part: when my father was very ill with an especially cruel form of Alzheimer's, early onset, we decided to keep dad at home by deploying different siblings in our large family to stay with him by turns and watch over the at-home caregivers. He still liked to go out in the car and he still absolutely loved to eat out.

The one restaurant where this stayed possible all through his illness was the Town Spa.

Dad was wearing a wool hat in the summer? No problem. They were warm and friendly to us always. A big hug for Dad always. So even if they have changed the recipe they are great in my book.

Does anyone else remember the burger joint Cal's, which used to be where the Town Spa is now? It was on my route to a good spot for fishing.

Ann Wigmore, a faith healer and the original wheat-grass fanatic--a friend of my mother's--lived out near the current site of the Town Spa, back in the day. Another Stoughton woman, I forgot to mention her in my prior post. She really was a sweetie with a big personality. She had a pet monkey who accompanied her everywhere. All my mother's friends had these exotic pets! Mrs White, who ran a kindergarten and was my mom's good friend, had a gorilla, or maybe just a very large ape of some kind, living in a cage near the room where the small kindergarten classes were held. Her son studied them. She also had a pet monkey, Jill. When we all trooped in around 8:30 AM, Jill heard us and slid down the bannister to "get" us, or so we thought. We hung up our coats on the pegs really quickly. Mrs. White was wonderful. When one of the kids had a birthday she transformed the classroom into a "nightclub" with paper table cloths and "champagne" (ginger ale). My favorite place of schooling, ever. We learned our colors and letters and all, but Mrs. W made everything fun.

Stoughton is cool. But it has this weird feature--you can't sell it out of Stoughton. It's the original unpopular place, it seems.

I think it was founded in the 17th century as an area for the so called "praying Indians" to live, as there was lots of fishing and hunting there. They all died of TB and other Euro borne illnesses, and then European people moved in.
I believe it was named after the judge for the Salem witch trials & encompassed Milton, Canton, & Avon.

I grew up there and it was fine. The elementary schools are good. Middle & High Schools are okay. It's pretty convenient to travel around and has some good restaurants & shopping. However in recent years I think the town is in a decline, which if you look at some of the towns around it, you could see it coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 03:50 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringMom3 View Post
And while i do like Town Spa I always rant about it. I hate how they still take cash only and have that rip off ATM. They are also greedy with their sauces and if you ask for their precious honey mustard to dip your fries into, they charge you for it. (?!!) and no refills on selzer/soda, so you pay per cup. (although i just pulled their menu and noticed if you get a 20 oz, they will refill it. how random to have multiple sizes/prices on dining in soda.) & the attitude you are greeted with at the door. My list of rants goes on and on about that place. but, you can't argue that their pizza is great! The experience trumps it though and my husband never wants to go. (i would gladly suck up their negatives more frequently than him.) They should just raise prices instead of nickel and diming everything. /endrant
Pizza, I've discovered, is a very subjective thing.

We've been to Town Spa a few times and I couldn't agree more with your rant.

We're also not fans of their pizza. It's OK, but we have much, much better closer to where we live. Ergo, it's not worth the drive to us unless we're already in the area. Even then we'd both still ***** about their policies.

BTW, they take cash probably because they don't want to pay the credit card fees.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:53 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times
Segue for a second -- I just noticed the board just inserted asterisks to substitute a word I'd typed.

Carry on.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:33 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
The Town Spa will never win an award for customer service. Cash only. Will not seat you until every member of the party is there. Slow service at times. I do not understand the great love some have for the place. The food is just ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts