Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 06:58 PM

257 posts, read 258,796 times

Advertisements

We finally have a place with a yard after years of city living and we are looking to add a pup to the family. We are Interested in getting an affectionate family dog over a hunting dog or show dog (good looks though!). Any recommendations on a Labrador breeder in New England would be much appreciated. We really like the looks of the box nose/English black labs. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 07:17 AM

110 posts, read 609,227 times
I don't live in New England, unfortunately, so I don't know of any reputable breeders in your area, but you might want to call a few vets for suggestions. We contacted our vet several years back and he put us in touch with an excellent breeder. It can be difficult finding a reputable breeder with so many puppy mills shipping dogs to other states, so a vet would be a good place to start.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:26 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,395,344 times
Majestx Labrador
toomuchtroublecom

New England Lab Rescue
newenglandlabrescue.com/

Old 02-16-2015, 08:57 AM

165 posts, read 329,494 times
Don't buy from a breeder! There are MANY labs and lab mix puppies at shelters and rescues that need a good home. Petfinder.com is a good place to start looking. I will help you search if you need assistance...just let me know.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:56 AM

257 posts, read 258,796 times
Thanks for your reply Makolly but for a number of reasons we are hesitant to get a rescue 1.) We want a puppy 2.) Many of the rescue puppies come from irresponsible "puppy mills" down south 3.) We would like to know the temperament of the parents 4.) If we are going to invest ourself emotionally with with the pup we want to make sure there are no serious health issues in the dog's lineage. Good breeders breed healthy dogs.
Thanks cwaggy -- Majestx labs look great. Do have you experience with them?

Old 02-16-2015, 06:11 PM

304 posts, read 774,866 times
Default Animal Shelter

I would definitely rescue a dog if you can. It is such a great feeling to give a needy dog a home. You should visit the Northeast Animal Shelter and at least check out the dogs there before you spend a lot of money on a purebred dog. They always get lots of puppies too. There are even some lab puppy mixes at the shelter now.

Meet Our Dogs - Northeast Animal Shelter

Old 02-17-2015, 09:52 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,395,344 times
Yes I have a Majestx black lab who has an amazing temperament, friendly, smart, obedient and of course gifted. Handsome too. He is a smaller boy (83 - 86 pounds) and has that 'English' stock giving him a blocky / stocky build and a thick otter-type tail, very heavy winter coat. He does eat fish and raw food, so he has a great shiny coat and we think it has contributed to his overall robust health. He has had few health issues other than pododermatitis, which is not necessarily genetic.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:05 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
Thanks for your reply Makolly but for a number of reasons we are hesitant to get a rescue 1.) We want a puppy 2.) Many of the rescue puppies come from irresponsible "puppy mills" down south 3.) We would like to know the temperament of the parents 4.) If we are going to invest ourself emotionally with with the pup we want to make sure there are no serious health issues in the dog's lineage. Good breeders breed healthy dogs.
Thanks cwaggy -- Majestx labs look great. Do have you experience with them?
I hope that you will consider visiting some rescues to see what they have to offer before buying a purebred puppy. I've adopted several dogs from the south, and they've all been winners. I've also had puppies, and sure they are cute, but gosh it's a lot more work to deal with housebreaking them, their chewing and extra high level of energy. And most lab and retriever people I know agree that these dogs mellow out and become the perfect companions around the age of five YEARS.

Two of my current dogs are lab mixes from the South. The chocolate lab mix from TN is now 13 years old and still in perfect health. Even his teeth are amazing. The other dog is a lab/hound mix who is about seven years old. No health issues whatsoever. And it's also easy keeping them lean and in great condition. On the other hand... honestly what I see all the time are people with their overweight purebred labs. I am not at all envious of their dogs. I'd say that the only senior purebred lab that I've ever been impressed with was a 13 year old black lab who is lucky enough to live in the Chesapeake Bay area and go running and swimming on the beach every day. So if you go the purebred lab route, please make sure that your dog is exercised properly everyday. Not just long walks, but they need to run around and do things like play catch with a Frisbee. Don't just treat him like a cuddly couch potato for your kids and feed him treats.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:31 AM

10,029 posts, read 15,679,858 times
I know you all mean well, but the OP wants a purebred lab and a specific type at that.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:55 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
The OP should go to some local AKC dog shows to meet the breeders and see the dogs in person then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts