Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:27 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times

Advertisements

I hear you. I lived in a bad section of Dorchester. It's not for the faint of heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 03:35 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That's just false educated people are simply less blunt about their prejustices.
Ted Cruz is highly educated, he is not open to new ideas.
Do you know all the Southern Biologists on the 1800s trying to prove slavery was right and just because Biology? They refused to accept what the majority of working class northerners accepted, Slavery was wrong.
Education does not change people's societal outlook, education changes how they articulate it.
This.

Also, education certainly does not = intelligence (and vice versa). Today that's more true than ever.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:49 PM

Default re

It just doesn't make a lot of sense to assume all 'uneducated white irish townies' are angry that asian people are there and want them to leave. Asians have been there since the 80s...them being there now in 2015 is nothing new. Then you're basically acting the same way you assume they are by wanting them (the townies) to leave.

I think people have also become pretty house greedy. Thinking oh if this group of people leaves and this group of people moves in then my house will increase in value. Never move to a neighborhood assuing it's going to change, just move to a neighborhood you already love.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:54 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I think people have also become pretty house greedy. Thinking oh if this group of people leaves and this group of people moves in then my house will increase in value.
I think you hit the nail on the head!

Last edited by massnative71; 02-24-2015 at 04:05 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 04:14 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
House greedy, I love it. That is absolutely the case.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:17 PM

536 posts, read 844,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Perhaps. But those unwashed masses really need to learn to take showers.....

Maybe the people you are stigmatizing are not unwashed. Maybe your vision is tarnished.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:29 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
Maybe the people you are stigmatizing are not unwashed. Maybe your vision is tarnished.
No.....many are indeed and literally unwashed. I am only half serious obviously, but I never look at Quincy, a city that I own two properties in, with any rose tinted glasses. I call it like it is. I love this great city, but I also think there are things that can make it better. We just have different opinion about what will make it better.

I also co-own my mother's house in Milton, and I would have no problem for Quincy to become more like Milton (regardless of race, just more educationally accomplished). More than 60% of Milton residents have at least a bachelor's degree, while only 33% of Quincy folks can say the same. Given that Quincy's population is at 92,000 and Milton is at 27,000, Quincy has absolutely more people with Bachelor's degrees. But in proportion, Quincy can certainly do better.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:59 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MocDoc View Post
I lived in Quincy for many years and with many friends and family members in the area, I visit often. Quincy is a city and with it comes some city problems. It also has lots of great people along with stunning ocean views in a very convenient and livable location. I have never once felt unsafe in Quincy. It does have a bit of a tough, don't mess with me mentality but most people are decent, hardworking, down to earth people who are generally polite.

I now live near Cambridge, which is also a city with its share of city problems. Whenever I go to Cambridge, I regret it. In my experience, the people I encounter tend to be condescending, self-righteous, and often downright rude. They want to make the world a better place by riding their bikes and bringing their own shopping bags. God-forbid they perform an actual act of kindness like holding the door for someone pushing a stroller or an letting someone with one item ahead of them in line but they will run you down to get a parking space at Whole Foods for their Prius with a world peace bummer sticker. I'll take the less entitled Quincy folks any day.
U nailed it. I'd rather live with blue collar folks, or a city that has some diversity than a place like Cambridge!! Yeah gotta love those folks..the liberal capital of the world. The Elite, the more educated who wouldn't know what a hard day at work means, but they don't have too as their too busy trying to tell us how we should live. Many there live from non-profits orgs. yeah know, companies that don't pay taxes and pay high salaries for their employees for a study about the color of ones poop.

They know no act of kindness as they are entitled and the common people like many posters here r dummies.

Quincy has a great rep. A good mix of blue collar worker and white collar. That makes for a good mix.

Quincy all the way!

Old 02-28-2015, 06:33 PM

Default re

Haha that is hilarious. Cambridge and now somerville are filled with entitled, self righteous liberal, protesting types. Many of them are extremely intelligent but were dorky outcasts in high school and it seems like they want to take it out on anyone who isNt like them. Of course they will brag about how open minded they are meanwhile they'd never set foot in quincy or dorchester.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 02-28-2015 at 06:56 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 06:52 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,421,828 times
Quincy does have a pretty visible drug problem. You see a lot of people who look like drug addicts nodding off at the T stations or along route 3a during broad daylight. Many are likely not even from Quincy, but they are there. You don't see that in Milton where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts