Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 09:47 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times

Advertisements

It is just common sense to shovel the roof off. I didn't need anyone to tell me that. When there is 3-4 feet of snow on a roof that can equate to tons and tons of problems.
You don't need to do the entire roof even doing half off the top is better than nothing.

I shoveled off 2 roofs last week and it wasn't easy but it was a weight off the roof and off my mind.

I even shoveled off my boat the other day. Why have all that extra weight sitting on the trailer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 11:01 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,805,758 times
In some areas it might be better to find windows above areas to show rather then use a ladder and go up.

This is also another example of how drones could assist.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:36 PM

100 posts, read 219,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
This is also another example of how drones could assist.
How? What type of drone is there that would be capable of moving that snow or destroying that ice dam? It also wouldn't be anywhere powerful enough to LIFT someone up there.

At most, it could show all the ice and snow that you can't remove.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:48 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
As you know, ice dams and icicles are caused by heat loss. A way to find where you need to
insulate.

Hope everyone has ice and water shield under your shingles!
Even ice and water shield isn't protecting all from ice dam's and water getting under the shingles. It's a great
product and always use it but a case in point is my co worker who had a new roof done last summer. He went the extra mile and had 8' of ice/water shield installed and yet his roof is leaking like a drain. His house is ranch style with a low pitch. Also his soffit venting is minimal. Has the old round vents like every 2 feet which is not adequate in these severe conditions. The kicker is he planned on upgrading his soffit vents this coming summer as he knew they where not adequate and figured he could wait until then.. i feel for em as who could have predicted this mess.

My house was built in 1995 (colonial style) has a 12 pitch and very adequate venting. No problems yet and think it will stay that way. Anyone having problems, hang in there and know your not alone. We will get through this as April isn't far away!

In closing I'd like to add that there have been about 120 roof collapses reported in MA with many being commercial style buildings with flat roofs. Not your average residential home. And 120 for the whole state seems to me like a very LOW number when u consider the number of homes in the state.

So keep things in perspective..some water damage or a total roof failure. What would u prefer? Neither i know but having some water damage is minimal compared to a roof failure.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:26 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,115 times
After all the shoveling off of roofs, BEWARE. The next problem
leaks cause by inexperienced shovelers.

A ton of work for roofers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts