Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 07:37 PM

82 posts, read 77,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Sometimes the definition of democrat might vary. The ones in western mass are more to the left than eastern. Western democrats tend to view other ones as moderate republicans. But this isn't like California where someone might get in your face about a protest attendance.
mdovell I am seriously wondering WHAT took us so long to realize that MA was the perfect place for us. All the years we've been dreaming about moving to New England, it's been all about NH. We do love NH and will always hold it near to our hearts but clearly western MA is going to be our home. It will be such a joy to be surrounded by like-minded people and make new friends.

They banned dog racing in MA??? I didn't know! Way to go MA!!!

bizcuit, I don't blame you for getting out of that part of NJ. It's so crowded up in the northeastern part of the state.

in_newengland, thank you for the detailed reply! That's all helpful to know. I do get the impression that many of the farms are organic, but we will be careful not to buy land next to any traditional farms. We are also going to be extra careful about researching water quality due to the old mills. Plus I think there is potential for higher levels of naturally occurring arsenic in the bedrock that can leach into well water. That is an issue in NH and it appears to also be a thing in parts of MA.

It's hard to fathom how much pesticide usage there was in the tobacco days. Some of those old pesticides can linger and continue to contaminate the soil for decades. This is especially true for old apple orchards, but I imagine tobacco was sprayed like crazy too.

I feel your pain regarding the landlord that sprayed everything. We are probably about to be in a battle with our neighbor because they want to have their yard sprayed for ticks. There's no containing the "fog" of spray, it will impossible to avoid overspray into our yard, which is a certified wildlife habitat. We have lots of pollinators and I will fight tooth and nail to keep them safe. Those pesticides are nasty, toxic chemicals. They should be banned. We need our pollinators!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 07:49 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaloop View Post
mdovell I am seriously wondering WHAT took us so long to realize that MA was the perfect place for us. All the years we've been dreaming about moving to New England, it's been all about NH. We do love NH and will always hold it near to our hearts but clearly western MA is going to be our home. It will be such a joy to be surrounded by like-minded people and make new friends.

They banned dog racing in MA??? I didn't know! Way to go MA!!!

bizcuit, I don't blame you for getting out of that part of NJ. It's so crowded up in the northeastern part of the state.

in_newengland, thank you for the detailed reply! That's all helpful to know. I do get the impression that many of the farms are organic, but we will be careful not to buy land next to any traditional farms. We are also going to be extra careful about researching water quality due to the old mills. Plus I think there is potential for higher levels of naturally occurring arsenic in the bedrock that can leach into well water. That is an issue in NH and it appears to also be a thing in parts of MA.

It's hard to fathom how much pesticide usage there was in the tobacco days. Some of those old pesticides can linger and continue to contaminate the soil for decades. This is especially true for old apple orchards, but I imagine tobacco was sprayed like crazy too.

I feel your pain regarding the landlord that sprayed everything. We are probably about to be in a battle with our neighbor because they want to have their yard sprayed for ticks. There's no containing the "fog" of spray, it will impossible to avoid overspray into our yard, which is a certified wildlife habitat. We have lots of pollinators and I will fight tooth and nail to keep them safe. Those pesticides are nasty, toxic chemicals. They should be banned. We need our pollinators!!
One apartment complex where I lived in Amherst a long time ago sprayed to kill dandelions. The tenants complained and said that they would much rather have dandelions and know that their kids could play outside safely in the grass. So the spraying ended. That was good.

Amherst is too liberal even for me because I am a more moderate type of Democrat. It's mostly influenced by college kids.

I hope you find your dream location. It sure wouldn't have been NH, lol. Guns, guns, guns, and the few NH towns that I found to be nice were rich and not that rural. They were in southern NH. Even southern NH has too many rednecks for me--and they can be really mean. I would want peace, not guns and fighting.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
One apartment complex where I lived in Amherst a long time ago sprayed to kill dandelions. The tenants complained and said that they would much rather have dandelions and know that their kids could play outside safely in the grass. So the spraying ended. That was good.

Amherst is too liberal even for me because I am a more moderate type of Democrat. It's mostly influenced by college kids.

I hope you find your dream location. It sure wouldn't have been NH, lol. Guns, guns, guns, and the few NH towns that I found to be nice were rich and not that rural. They were in southern NH. Even southern NH has too many rednecks for me--and they can be really mean. I would want peace, not guns and fighting.
It's good to hear the spraying ended! Some things are worth fighting for and sometimes you win.

Amherst - that one we are steering well clear of. No college party towns for us. But it does look like a beautiful little town to walk around.

Thank you for the nice wishes; I think we already have found our dream location . Well, we at least have narrowed down the region. There are many nice towns to choose from and I don't think it can be completley figured out on paper, it's time to visit.

NH would have been a disaster for us all around, I agree. While every single person we ever met from NH was polite and most friendly, the gun culture is foreign to us and we like it that way. Many up there don't want people like us moving in and I think we would always feel like unwelcome invaders. I'm sure there are those in MA who feel the same way about outsiders coming in. No one likes change, especially when it comes to the place where they hold all their childhood memories, and I do totally understand that. But we will do our utmost to be good citizens and neighbors. Like you, in_newengland, we just want peace... and hopefully quiet. And nature, nature and more nature.

BTW, the wonderful people on the CDF have been an indispensable resource for us. I'm really grateful it's here and the regulars are so willing to donate their time to help others gather information. So cool.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:24 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaloop View Post
It's good to hear the spraying ended! Some things are worth fighting for and sometimes you win.

Amherst - that one we are steering well clear of. No college party towns for us. But it does look like a beautiful little town to walk around.

Thank you for the nice wishes; I think we already have found our dream location . Well, we at least have narrowed down the region. There are many nice towns to choose from and I don't think it can be completley figured out on paper, it's time to visit.

NH would have been a disaster for us all around, I agree. While every single person we ever met from NH was polite and most friendly, the gun culture is foreign to us and we like it that way. Many up there don't want people like us moving in and I think we would always feel like unwelcome invaders. I'm sure there are those in MA who feel the same way about outsiders coming in. No one likes change, especially when it comes to the place where they hold all their childhood memories, and I do totally understand that. But we will do our utmost to be good citizens and neighbors. Like you, in_newengland, we just want peace... and hopefully quiet. And nature, nature and more nature.

BTW, the wonderful people on the CDF have been an indispensable resource for us. I'm really grateful it's here and the regulars are so willing to donate their time to help others gather information. So cool.
Good luck, Tupaloop! I hope that you can plan a nice, long visit soon and are able to connect with a good realtor who can show you all the ins & outs of the area.

Please keep us posted as you move forward!

Old 06-11-2021, 08:28 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,468 times
Oh, one more recommendation:

I suggest that you join the Northampton, MA Facebook group (if you're on FB) as a lot of local info is shared there. It's a good way to start to learn about what's happening in the area.

ETA: Also Northampton Live on Instagram, you can also subscribe to their updates from their website. I've found out about so many restaurants, coffee places and breweries by following them. And their pictures really make me motivated to get out there.

Last edited by bizcuit; 06-11-2021 at 09:10 AM..

Old 06-11-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Oh, one more recommendation:

I suggest that you join the Northampton, MA Facebook group (if you're on FB) as a lot of local info is shared there. It's a good way to start to learn about what's happening in the area.

ETA: Also Northampton Live on Instagram, you can also subscribe to their updates from their website. I've found out about so many restaurants, coffee places and breweries by following them. And their pictures really make me motivated to get out there.
Great recommendation. I'm on it. Thanks, bizcuit!

Old 06-27-2021, 01:54 PM

52 posts, read 48,338 times
I grew up in Southampton, (I’ve been in NC for 7 years now) so not sure how schools are now, but when Iwas there schools were good. It’s a beautiful town, closer to W. Sfld than Westhampton , Hatfield, Hadley, etc. it’s over the mountain . I used to commute to W. Springfield and it was max 30 minutes (in the 90’s), either by RT 10/202 to RT 91, or RT 10 to RT 20.

I hope this helps.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:03 PM

52 posts, read 48,338 times
Lol! If it wasn’t for “gun culture” April 19,1775 would have ended up in a arms confiscation and a kissing of the British boots, and we would not have and enjoy the “Bill of Rights” that still are the rule and law of the land. It’s saddens me so much to see how the culture of my beloved home state, aka the cradle of Liberty, turn so far from the Bill Of Rights, especially the 2nd Amendment.

It is one of the most geographically beautiful areas however.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:35 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarkman View Post
Lol! If it wasn’t for “gun culture” April 19,1775 would have ended up in a arms confiscation and a kissing of the British boots, and we would not have and enjoy the “Bill of Rights” that still are the rule and law of the land. It’s saddens me so much to see how the culture of my beloved home state, aka the cradle of Liberty, turn so far from the Bill Of Rights, especially the 2nd Amendment.

It is one of the most geographically beautiful areas however.
Sorry, but we are well aware of the 19th of April in '75. That was back then. We didn't even have an army back then The guns were muskets and the people usually kept one hanging above the fireplace. That's why Paul Revere yelled on his famous ride, "To arms, to arms", meaning grab your gun because we don't have an army yet so you are all we've got. But you already know that.

Did they have grocery stores in 1775? No. They had to hunt either with guns or bows and arrows or maybe trapping.

Times have changed and in addition, there are a lot of people today who are violent and/or have mental problems. In Massachusetts we do not want our fellow citizens to be killed so we advocate to get the guns out of the hands of anyone who might use them to harm someone. We are still a very patriotic state with an amazing heritage but we realize that there isn't much need for guns anymore. You can still hunt but not too many people do. No one has to grab their gun and fight an invader. We have a strong military now. Too many foreign wars have caused too many people to think that guns are the answer. But they are not.

Old 06-27-2021, 04:41 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
There's a little bit of a difference between gun ownership at the concept of right and gun ownership simply being legal. Gun ownership is legal in other countries but it's not written as a right outside of Mexico and Guatemala.

The other fact that we need to establish his handguns were not nearly as common back then as they are today. Most Firearms back then with long guns which required two hands. It is certainly possible that you can legally own a long gun in another country. But when we get to handguns is when there's more scrutiny.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over...laws_by_nation

The funny thing about people that do support the Second Amendment is that they act as if that ownership and regulations don't exist in other countries. They most certainly do. Italy does allow people to have guns.

The other issue that tend to come up is why somebody wants one whether it's for personal protection or it's for sporting or possible Pest Control. Saw this gets interesting because there was some parts of the former Soviet Union will that will allow you to have a rifle but only after you have and own the shotgun for 5 years. Of course the other debate is concealed carry vs. Open carry.

If somebody wants to go hunting I've absolutely no issue with that especially with some of the animals that are coming around. If somebody wants to do sportsmanship for Marksmanship I get that as well I've even met elderly women that like doing that. For home protection against a little bit iffy to be honest with you. If somebody is really looking to hurt somebody else these days I don't think a gun is going to be that number one choice. Going to leave plenty of evidence between the shells that were fired the registration numbers that are on both the firearm and the ammunition and ballistics which can easily prove who or what got shot. Whereas if somebody just take something sharp and in effect stab somebody else it does not give off a sound is no shotspotter involved and they can scare you away.

Restrictions on Firearms will only have a negative effect on suicides. Outright restrictions on firearm ownership are not going to have a significant downturn outside of that. The assault weapons ban ended and crime continue to drop.

Having said that having a limit on the amount of firearms might make at least some sense. Nobody realistically is going to be grabbing multiple shotguns or handguns to defend themselves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts