Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 5,988 times

Advertisements

My son may be attending Western New England University and we are planning to set up in a condo/town-home/apartment nearby that is within bike/bus commuting distance. My concerns are twofold:

1. Will there be real estate available in a safe area that is close enough to Western New England for bike/bus commuting? What about access to grocery shopping without a car?

2. My son has grown up in a rather isolated western town that is nothing like a big city. He has no street smarts and will need to learn quickly. Is it safe in Springfield for a somewhat naive 18-19 year old to be biking to college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 10:58 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Downtown Springfield isn't real safe, but I understand the college is in a different area.

Why would your son want to come all that way for a college that's not very prestigious? It seems like a waste of money.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:19 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Yeah, unless he's getting a free ride, this doesn't make a ton of sense.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:38 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,557 times
If he lives near the university it is very safe. No grocery stores really close though. And it is a great school for engineering and pharmaceutical. How about we be a little less judgemental and snooty and just answer the question.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:12 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,374 times
The biggest problem is that, if next winter is like this one, he won't be able to bike, some of the time. He'll be forced to take the bus.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:33 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calen223 View Post
My son may be attending Western New England University and we are planning to set up in a condo/town-home/apartment nearby that is within bike/bus commuting distance. My concerns are twofold:

1. Will there be real estate available in a safe area that is close enough to Western New England for bike/bus commuting? What about access to grocery shopping without a car?

2. My son has grown up in a rather isolated western town that is nothing like a big city. He has no street smarts and will need to learn quickly. Is it safe in Springfield for a somewhat naive 18-19 year old to be biking to college?

Didn't you ask this about Worcester? (WPI)

Why are you following your son to college to "set up in a condo"? Why not just let him live on campus?

I went to Clark University in Worcester. My parents stayed home. I lived in the dorms for two years and in an off campus apartment for the rest of the time.

Over 25 years later, I'm still alive.

Young people become less naive by developing self confidence that is earned by negotiating life on their own. Please consider permitting your son to have some autonomy while he attends college.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:02 AM

4 posts, read 4,535 times
I live here and I bike down Wilbraham Rd. (in which WNEC is located) all the time. It's safe. And there is the Fresh Acres Grocery Store right down the road from the College.

Springfield is by far not a safe city considering it is placed on the top 100 violent cities in the U.S. every year, but as long as he stays away from certain areas and isn't a complete retard he should be fine.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:04 AM

4 posts, read 4,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
If he lives near the university it is very safe. No grocery stores really close though. And it is a great school for engineering and pharmaceutical. How about we be a little less judgemental and snooty and just answer the question.
What are you talking about? Fresh Acres is literally right there.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:57 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,557 times
I don't really consider that a full service grocery store. But more of a larger scale convenience store. But to each his own.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:53 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calen223 View Post

IMO, real estate within biking distance of WNEC is not real estate you'd want to invest in. If you have the $, you might look into the condos on State Street across from the main city library; a number of professionals live there, but I believe the monthly condo fees are high. I would not want to be walking around there at night, but then again, I'm not young. Spfld is not one of the safer cities on the planet, esp downtown and adjacent areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts