Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:46 PM

78 posts, read 92,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I still recommend Reading or Wilmington. As someone else mentioned, Danvers. Probably Middleton too. I'm not too sure about the location of Peabody but if someone knows (I can never FIND it, but that's me,lol) that would probably have cheaper housing.

Ipswich is kind of out of the way because you have to wend your way along smaller roads before you get to 128, same with places like Topsfield, Rowley,and Georgetown. Newbury and Newburyport would probably be good fits but they are very pricey.

I think it's possible to find something as long as the OP is realistic and isn't like the people on the tv program where they demand all sorts of extra amenities like granite countertops, stainless appliances, a huge, perfect house on a huge gorgeous lot in the perfect town with stellar schools.
See, that's what I mean though. As an interior designer, I DON'T want someplace that someone has renovated to flip, with new carpet/floors, etc. I like places with good bones that need cleaning up. I don't want to have to sink a lot into things like new roof, electrical, plumbing, etc. however. I don't mind doing cosmetic reno, in fact I prefer it. I hate when I find a place that the seller has clearly gone in and redone the kitchen with crappy granite counters and Home Depot cabinets and raised the listing price by $50k because of it. I will admit though that I do prefer "space" whether in or out. At least a small yard is a must. Every time I'm in the market, I ask realtors for the "weird" or unusual listings or the ones that no one seems to want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 03:55 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorman4017 View Post
See, that's what I mean though. As an interior designer, I DON'T want someplace that someone has renovated to flip, with new carpet/floors, etc. I like places with good bones that need cleaning up. I don't want to have to sink a lot into things like new roof, electrical, plumbing, etc. however. I don't mind doing cosmetic reno, in fact I prefer it. I hate when I find a place that the seller has clearly gone in and redone the kitchen with crappy granite counters and Home Depot cabinets and raised the listing price by $50k because of it. I will admit though that I do prefer "space" whether in or out. At least a small yard is a must. Every time I'm in the market, I ask realtors for the "weird" or unusual listings or the ones that no one seems to want.
That's the thing. In Boston, many times if the cosmetic stuff needs to be redone, the major things need to be worked on to. Houses tend to be very old.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:12 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Wow, this discussion of driving times to Raynham is fascinating.
How long can they keep it going?

Old 02-25-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I think you will love Reading then.

There was this house on the market in your range last year, I would have scooped up if it was the place and time for me. Beautiful details with a large greenhouse in the back. Also saw several with original built-ins that were nicely detailed.

Maybe too far of a commute, but Marblehead, Swampscott, Salem have architectural beauties that just need some polish in your range too. Salem is actually rather hipster and Marblehead has an arty side to it. Beverly on the other side of Salem is arty and has some nice green spaces.

There is a realtor Valerie C. who posts on here who specializes in Essex. She seems pretty knowledgable. I would dig up some of her C-D posts.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:24 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
How long can they keep it going?

Between 50-60 minutes, in moderate traffic.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I still recommend Reading or Wilmington. As someone else mentioned, Danvers. Probably Middleton too. I'm not too sure about the location of Peabody but if someone knows (I can never FIND it, but that's me,lol) that would probably have cheaper housing.

Ipswich is kind of out of the way because you have to wend your way along smaller roads before you get to 128, same with places like Topsfield, Rowley,and Georgetown. Newbury and Newburyport would probably be good fits but they are very pricey.

I think it's possible to find something as long as the OP is realistic and isn't like the people on the tv program where they demand all sorts of extra amenities like granite countertops, stainless appliances, a huge, perfect house on a huge gorgeous lot in the perfect town with stellar schools.
Check out Sol Bean Cafe if you make it up to Middleton. Very cool smoothie and organic food place.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:05 PM

78 posts, read 92,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I think you will love Reading then.

There was this house on the market in your range last year, I would have scooped up if it was the place and time for me. Beautiful details with a large greenhouse in the back. Also saw several with original built-ins that were nicely detailed.

Maybe too far of a commute, but Marblehead, Swampscott, Salem have architectural beauties that just need some polish in your range too. Salem is actually rather hipster and Marblehead has an arty side to it. Beverly on the other side of Salem is arty and has some nice green spaces.

There is a realtor Valerie C. who posts on here who specializes in Essex. She seems pretty knowledgable. I would dig up some of her C-D posts.
Thanks for the tip. L.A. really screwed me up in terms of what I expect/want in a place. Oddly enough L.A. is mostly independently owned retail shops and restaurants. Other than fast food and the occasional small Target, there wasn't much that wasn't pretty unique. It was hard moving to the midwest where it's all strip mall, big box store, chain restaurants. I don't mind having that stuff around when needed, but I like the smaller places too i.e. the more "hipster" scene. I don't know if I actually self identify as a hipster, but I usually like what they do to an area (minus the Whole Paycheck grocery stores).

Old 02-25-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. L.A. really screwed me up in terms of what I expect/want in a place. Oddly enough L.A. is mostly independently owned retail shops and restaurants. Other than fast food and the occasional small Target, there wasn't much that wasn't pretty unique. It was hard moving to the midwest where it's all strip mall, big box store, chain restaurants. I don't mind having that stuff around when needed, but I like the smaller places too i.e. the more "hipster" scene. I don't know if I actually self identify as a hipster, but I usually like what they do to an area (minus the Whole Paycheck grocery stores).

Downtown Melrose has a really nice indie business district. Many of the streets around the downtown are not as attractive as I would have expected despite the reputation of being the city of Victorians. Does have a nice Y, good transportation options, a state park with its own dog park and many pretty churches around the common areas. The prettier neighborhoods are closer to the state park and of course more expensive. It has Hunt's camera, a hub for photographers too.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:49 PM

14 posts, read 47,640 times
The inventory of homes is at its lowest level in quite some time. Melrose/Wakefield will offer the best balance of affordability, community, schools and commutable distance of the towns North of Boston. That said, Andover, a bit further to the north will offer much better schools and, while I wouldn't consider it "hipster", its a great community. Housing options will be lesser in Andover, although you may have better luck with your budget in neighboring North Andover.

Reading offers good schools but housing will be very limited in that price range. Beverly, on the North Shore, will have more housing options. Schools are decent and the downtown, while spread out, has been undergoing a bit of a revival.

The most "hipster" communities in and around Boston are Cambridge, Somerville, Allston/Brighton and Wellsley... none of which will offer you much in the way of affordable SF housing options and with the exception of Wellsley, none of the best schools. Commute to Reading from Allston/Brighton and Wellsley will be a bit of a challenge.

All that said, Boston is not much more than 30-40 minutes from most North Shore communities, so getting in to town to experience the "hipster" vibe is not that difficult, especially on the weekends. As other posters have stated... south of the city is not an option unless you have a pilots license. Marblehead, while a great community, doesn't allow you to get anywhere except there.

There are many Best of luck with your move.

I've lived on the north shore all my life. If I can be of any help to you upon your arrival, let me know!

Old 02-25-2015, 05:50 PM

513 posts, read 646,910 times
I used to live in the area. 128 can be a bear at any time of the day or night, so I would suggest towns very close to Reading so you can avoid dealing with it.
Reading and Wakefield have the best downtown areas of all the towns immediately adjacent. I actually find Wakefields downtown area slightly nicer than Readings, not as upscale, but 28 cuts through Reading center and north and south of the center is strip mall heaven, which takes away from the charm.
Wakefield is a bit more in your price range, though the RE market is very hot in both towns. Both towns offer good recreational opportunities and good access to highways. Reading has a commuter rail stop and Wakefield has two.
I would also suggest Melrose, with the caveat that it may be a pain to get to Reading. It's all back roads, but if your wife is commuting during school drop off times, she may hit quite a bit of traffic. Other than that, Melrose has a great down town and plenty of activities for adults and kids.
Good luck with your search, and keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts