Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:59 PM

62 posts, read 291,996 times

Advertisements

we might be relocating to this area. thinking of buying in NH to be closer to mountains. anybody have info on this part of MA? i've lived in MA before so i know eastern MA pretty well and i have an idea of what central and western MA are about so i'm looking for specifics about the fitchburg area. looking for an eco friendly place with outdoors activities hiking/walking and maybe a little culture too.

thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 03:03 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Then forget about Fitchburg. Really.
It has a large welfare population, and a lot of drugs and people with substance abuse/psychiatric disability. It's a fairly crappy town without the manufacturing base that made it a better place in the past.
Of course, there are nicer areas and less-nice and very much less-nice, but I wouldn't live there on a bet.
There are certainly many other towns in that area that far better for living. And I don't know how close Fitchburg is to "the mountains." I guess it's all perspective.
Good luck. You can live in many lovely areas without ever going to Fitchburg.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Then forget about Fitchburg. Really.
It has a large welfare population, and a lot of drugs and people with substance abuse/psychiatric disability. It's a fairly crappy town without the manufacturing base that made it a better place in the past.
Of course, there are nicer areas and less-nice and very much less-nice, but I wouldn't live there on a bet.
There are certainly many other towns in that area that far better for living. And I don't know how close Fitchburg is to "the mountains." I guess it's all perspective.
Good luck. You can live in many lovely areas without ever going to Fitchburg.
thanks, the job is in fitchburg, i'm looking to live elsewhere because i figured that about fitchburg. do you know of any nice towns around there? i was thinking somewhere on the NH border or even southern NH because it is closer to the mountains (for skiing, hiking, etc), i know fitchburg doesn't have any mountains (although, little mt tom is around there somewhere).

Old 01-10-2008, 03:23 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,822 times
Just north of Fitchburg are Ashburnham and Ashby, and they are both right on the New Hampshire border also. They are more rural towns, but overall both are pretty nice.

Fitchburg isn't as bad as most people make it out to be in you live outside of the downtown area. If you live near the Ashby and Ashburnham town line or the Leominster city line its not bad. Most of the crime and problems in Fitchburg are just in a few areas.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:49 AM

18,715 posts, read 33,372,489 times
A friend of mine married a guy who works in Fitchburg, and she works in southern New Hampshire. They bought a fine house with three acres in New Ipswich, NH, which is smack in between. Very pretty area, and very convenient to Fitchburg.
Ashburnham has some nice lake houses (my personal favorite thing).
I lived in Leominster for a while, near Fitchburg and on a major road to it. Low-riders and boom boxes speeding by quite often.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:33 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,009 times
In general, Fitchburg is not nice, but some of the areas off of highway 31 on the north side of town are very quiet and pleasant, almost rural feeling. If you are on a budget, Fitchburg real estate is very reasonable for MA. Lunenburg is nice and right next to Fitchburg, but more expensive. Townsend is a nice, middle class town right on the state line north of Lunenburg. Groton is a little further and very nice (and again more expensive) with loads of conservation land for day hikes and mountain biking. Groton probably has about as much "culture" as you'd get for that area.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:02 AM

100 posts, read 474,939 times
Princeton, lovely small rural town with skiing in your back yard (Wachusett Mountain with decent small mountain skiing and best of all - night skiing), easy to Fitchburg and big mountain skiing in VT and NH. If too pricey try Rutland, I know people who commute from there to Fitchburg, still easy to get to Fitchburg and Princeton and much less expensive.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:36 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times
Check this thread for some additional info, and do a quick search of this forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...ster-info.html

Old 01-12-2008, 12:44 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,556 times
Templeton, Princeton, Westminster, Ashby, all great places to live. Smaller town feel, very beautiful, close to New Hampshire. You also have Mt Wachusett there for a bit of hiking, and quite a few state parks in the area. Cost of living is a bit cheaper than it is in eastern Mass too. I just moved from Templeton, and I really loved the feel there. Quiet communities, but right off of Rt 2 and easy to get places.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:27 AM

thanks a lot, these posts are all really helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts