Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 02:52 PM

17 posts, read 17,519 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for replying! Im not sure how to reply inline to a comment, but hopefully this gets where its supposed to go.

@495neighbor

thank you for your suggestions. I know you all are under siege from the weather, so I hope your picnic isnt interrupted. A friend of mine from Cape Cod showed me some pictures of his sister's place in (I think) Scituate - there were some very creative snow tunnels in their driveway so I hope its not too much of an interruption, though I imagine youre all looking forward to some warmer weather. With any luck Ill be there to enjoy it with you all in a few months. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 02:59 PM

@timberline742

Again, thank you for the suggestions. I will check out Gloucester as it seems that you and several others have mentioned it. It would be nice to be able to wander into town on a Wednesday evening and have a beer or two. Ill definitely check it out. Apologies if it came across like I was being condescending to HS team stuff. Im sure it'll happen for me too one day, I just dont want to be entrenched in it unnecessarily. Pride is a great thing, but one last hurrah before I get into all that is what im looking for Cheers!

Old 02-27-2015, 03:04 PM

@sfosyd

Thanks again! I do ski. I've always heard that the snow on the east coast it a little more testing than the stuff we have out here, but meh, I figure if im lucky enough to be up skiing, I should have no complaints ! It would be good to get up to the mountains a couple of times a season, so if you have any recommendations on resorts out there id love to hear them.

As for the towns you mentioned, thank you. Ill be sure to look at them. Are they all on the train line? I only ask because you mentioned that some are a hassle to get in and out of. Is this because the trains run infrequently or because its a lot of traffic on narrow streets?

I also smiled at your comment of me not liking the liberal politics of a place. Fair enough.

Cheers!

Old 02-27-2015, 03:14 PM

@kingeorge

Thank you for replying, and for the welcome. I actually saw your username in a similar thread so thank you for chiming in here too. I appreciate you taking the time to point out the difference between what im looking for now, and where to look in MA as things change. I'll definitely add Salem and Ipswich to the list, as you and another poster both mentioned them.

From the responses it seems like North of Boston is less family oriented than the south, is this a fair assumption or am I completely off? When I say less family oriented, what i really mean is that it seems like folks are suggesting Hingham (and im guessing the surrounding areas to the south) offer more for families.

Cheers!

Old 02-27-2015, 03:22 PM

@gf2020

As far as budget goes, I know MA is expensive. I'm fortunate enough to make a decent six figure income, which of course doesn't go as far in the places were discussing. I probably should have mentioned that up front, as it might knock a couple of places off the list entirely so its good that you brought it up. As far as houses go, I've been looking around on Trulia and I think I can probably get into something im happy with, but part of the reason for taking a trip to all of these places is to get a good lay of the land - an online map isn't ideal for figuring out proximity.

As I mentioned to another poster, im not knocking HS sports and one of the things I really loved about Boston was the pride people took in their communities, its a really wonderful thing to see. All I really meant was that id like a bit of separation. Thank you again for the recommendations. Im excited to check these places out!

Cheers!

Old 02-27-2015, 03:28 PM

@Southshorebound

thank you for the recommendations and for the welcome! I had to google SFH, which I believe stands for single family home. Your location says Hingham and im looking forward to visiting your town! A friend of mine also mentioned Scituate - he was commuting into Boston from there daily and said that it was a hike, though I wont be doing that as much. He did say that it was a great town. Definitely up there on the pricing scale, but I like the idea of the mix of small town feel to proximity to city living that you describe.

thank you for the recommendations!

Cheers!

Old 02-27-2015, 03:36 PM

I think I replied to everyone. I refreshed the page and wondered where my replies had gone before I realized I kicked this whole thread to a second page.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Old 02-27-2015, 04:12 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh no. High School sports aren't a big deal in Mass (or New England) in general compared to most of the Nation. Not even close. Even the biggest football towns here don't compare. Never mind baseball/basketball/soccer.
I agree.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:14 PM

53 posts, read 54,975 times
I'm interested in this subject too. When you're talking budget, could you do well in any of these Boston surrounding areas for under 300k? Family oriented would be better for me. I'm looking at Gloucester and Ipswich right now...

Old 02-27-2015, 04:30 PM

3,685 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh no. High School sports aren't a big deal in Mass (or New England) in general compared to most of the Nation. Not even close. Even the biggest football towns here don't compare. Never mind baseball/basketball/soccer.

I was being a bit facetious. Hence the winky face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts