Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:36 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckalees View Post
So I'm not sure if you're saying you think it can be done or not. We do have a modest income but are very good at smartly budgeting that income. We eat fairly similarly to how you've explained yourself. We also have culled most unnecessary bills from our budget. Some of what we have is used for medical expenses. We don't get out much but would like to be close enough to places (Boston, NYC, a beach) to take day trips or weekend excursions to them when possible.
You have to define what a modest income is in order to get any realistic advice. If you don't pay income tax because you make so little you're exempt from paying federal income tax, you will have a very very difficult time here and you won't be living but merely existing. Day trips and weekend excursions don't work on that kind of budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 12:12 PM

53 posts, read 54,975 times
Alright so here is a bit more information. My husband and I are disabled. At some point in the next few years we will probably have an income of about 2500 a month for 4. We will have a small lump maybe 10k for a down payment on a house. Our expenses are very small. We don't eat out, or go out much. We don't have cable or many other unnecessary bills. We have a car, it's a hybrid and mostly used for grocery store trips twice a month and taking the kids to school. We drive very little other wise. We budget our income very tightly.

I've lived on the west coast and Midwest my whole life but always felt a connection to the east coast. We're looking for a new home because our current state is bad for our health and not very disabled friendly. I'd like to live on the east coast so once a year or so, we can take a long weekend trip somewhere close by. If I stay on the west coast, I'll probably never see Boston or NYC, or Vermont, D.C., or Portland Maine, or the little town in Upstate NY my mother grew up in. We can't afford to travel that far away. I'd rather not give up on my east coast dream unless I absolutely have to.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:15 PM

100 posts, read 219,044 times
I think things would still be difficult, but more achievable with $2500/month. That would still depend on what the medical bills are though. If you have disability and don't need to work, I think it'd be better to live further (30-90 minutes) from Boston. That would provide more leeway in terms of cost of living, yet you could still travel in for leisure when you wish.

I do not think home ownership would be possible or the responsible choice with that budget.

I never considered MA to be particularly ADA friendly--lots of older structures/roads/etc.--but there are certainly people who would know better than me.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:16 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Quote:
Alright so here is a bit more information. My husband and I are disabled. At some point in the next few years we will probably have an income of about 2500 a month for 4.

$2500 per month is $30,000 per year. Sadly, that is really not an adequate income to live on for a family of 4 in Greater Boston.

The Federal poverty guideline for 2015 for a family of 4 is $24,250. Massachusetts uses the 125% guideline of $30,313 for a family of 4 for many programs.

I can't see willingly moving to an area where you would already be below the poverty threshold. The Greater Boston area has many things to offer its residents but affordability is not one of them.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:27 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
I would look strongly advise you to look into VA, PA and possibly NC. You get better weather, COL, plus similar culture and history.

Your income would be fine in MA only if you already own home, and have situation with very low or no mortgage at all. Rent is very high as well. Just heating cost would eat you alive here.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
I would look strongly advise you to look into VA, PA and possibly NC. You get better weather, COL, plus similar culture and history.

Your income would be fine in MA only if you already own home, and have situation with very low or no mortgage at all. Rent is very high as well. Just heating cost would eat you alive here.
Thank you all for the information. It is a very small income and gf2020, thank you for the poverty level information. It is a hard decision to make but we have to live somewhere.

I have also been looking at NC and VA. Will continue to look and will include PA. Thank you again for the info!

Old 03-01-2015, 05:40 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Alright so here is a bit more information. My husband and I are disabled. At some point in the next few years we will probably have an income of about 2500 a month for 4. We will have a small lump maybe 10k for a down payment on a house. Our expenses are very small. We don't eat out, or go out much. We don't have cable or many other unnecessary bills. We have a car, it's a hybrid and mostly used for grocery store trips twice a month and taking the kids to school. We drive very little other wise. We budget our income very tightly.

I've lived on the west coast and Midwest my whole life but always felt a connection to the east coast. We're looking for a new home because our current state is bad for our health and not very disabled friendly. I'd like to live on the east coast so once a year or so, we can take a long weekend trip somewhere close by. If I stay on the west coast, I'll probably never see Boston or NYC, or Vermont, D.C., or Portland Maine, or the little town in Upstate NY my mother grew up in. We can't afford to travel that far away. I'd rather not give up on my east coast dream unless I absolutely have to.
I think this would be a very ill advised move. Life would be very difficult for you here and even finding a suitable place to live would be a challenge. If you were lucky enough to find an affordable place to live around here (and I'm not at all sure you will find a landlord willing to take a chance) you will always be one step away from being in over your head.

If you currently live a comfortable life where you are now, there is absolutely no way I would risk a move like this.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I think this would be a very ill advised move. Life would be very difficult for you here and even finding a suitable place to live would be a challenge. If you were lucky enough to find an affordable place to live around here (and I'm not at all sure you will find a landlord willing to take a chance) you will always be one step away from being in over your head.

If you currently live a comfortable life where you are now, there is absolutely no way I would risk a move like this.
It's looking like this is a correct assessment. Unfortunately we do not live comfortably where we are and moving is a necessity. I'm focusing my research on more affordable states on the eastish coast. North Carolina, Virginia, and Pennsylvania might be options. Thank you for all the information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts