Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 10:50 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,060 times

Advertisements

IMO, towns like Essex are inhabited by a truly interesting/subversive breed of hipster (same goes for western MA towns like North Hampton). Largely intellectuals who have done well (or at least managed) and extracted themselves from the more pedestrian trappings of capitalism.

Conversely, areas like Davis sq. or Portsmouth simply offer a terrible post-'90's commercialized variant of hipster. Hoards of "hipsters" buying into a "creative culture" without offering back anything of interest. Just consumption.

For every dozen or so bland millenials discussing what they want to be or do over a latte/beer, there's an "old timer" hanging out somewhere in the woods unaware that they're lifestyle reflects modern hipster ideals.

My advice - buy in a town which provides a good compromise of access and cost ... then seek out the hippest people in town. Even the dullest of towns tend to have some old duffer fermenting mead in their basement or building a wooden boat in their barn. Do avoid yuppie meccas, which are easily identified based on the number of X5's seen on the local roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 10:55 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post

Conversely, areas like Davis sq. or Portsmouth simply offer a terrible post-'90's commercialized variant of hipster. Hoards of "hipsters" buying into a "creative culture" without offering back anything of interest. Just consumption.

I don't know about this. I'm too old and uncool to be a hipster, but in Somerville there are tons and tons of creative, artistic types that do contribute to the culture. I'm always quite amazed at the number of artists/musicians, and people building scenes and events here.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:10 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,156 times
Quote:
IMO, towns like Essex are inhabited by a truly interesting/subversive breed of hipster (same goes for western MA towns like North Hampton). Largely intellectuals who have done well (or at least managed) and extracted themselves from the more pedestrian trappings of capitalism.

For every dozen or so bland millenials discussing what they want to be or do over a latte/beer, there's an "old timer" hanging out somewhere in the woods unaware that they're lifestyle reflects modern hipster ideals.

My advice - buy in a town which provides a good compromise of access and cost ... then seek out the hippest people in town. Even the dullest of towns tend to have some old duffer fermenting mead in their basement or building a wooden boat in their barn. Do avoid yuppie meccas, which are easily identified based on the number of X5's seen on the local roads.
I like your description but, I would never use the word hipster. To me even in most positive connotation, hipster still represents somewhat shallow existence that is inherently trapped in image of hip, consumerism even if somehow "green-er", and staying on the right side of the tracks/flavor of the moment, at all time. There is very carefully groomed image in this case.

People you are talking about are above the fray. Not real hippies, not real bohemian, but intelligent, mavericks, and rebels, and mix of all these different ideas about life, and what is worth living for. I think they would be mortified to be described as hipsters.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:26 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
I like your description but, I would never use the word hipster. To me even in most positive connotation, hipster still represents somewhat shallow existence that is inherently trapped in image of hip, consumerism even if somehow "green-er", and staying on the right side of the tracks/flavor of the moment, at all time. There is very carefully groomed image in this case.

People you are talking about are above the fray. Not real hippies, not real bohemian, but intelligent, mavericks, and rebels, and mix of all these different ideas about life, and what is worth living for. I think they would be mortified to be described as hipsters.
Totally agree. My point was not to say they are hipsters, rather, it was to say they are are living a lifestyle which this modern hipster movement wants so desperately to replicate ... but only within the confines of an expertly curated shop front.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:37 AM

226 posts, read 386,488 times
JP has a really great scene but the schools are meh.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:16 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,156 times
Quote:
Totally agree. My point was not to say they are hipsters, rather, it was to say they are are living a lifestyle which this modern hipster movement wants so desperately to replicate ... but only within the confines of an expertly curated shop front.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:14 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,806,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't know about this. I'm too old and uncool to be a hipster, but in Somerville there are tons and tons of creative, artistic types that do contribute to the culture. I'm always quite amazed at the number of artists/musicians, and people building scenes and events here.
And for every one of those there are ten poser dbags wearing neon frame sunglasses whilst sipping kombutcha.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:34 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Absolutely. Anyone coming from Austin looking for hip is going to be to be somewhat disappointed with most of the options offered here. Somerville is the closest match by far, with Jamaica Plain second and Cambridge third. Where do the hipsters go when they get priced out of Somerville? Easy - East Somerville. The only issue with East Somerville with kids is that the elementary schools have not seen the rapid improvement that West Somerville schools have, in my personal opinion. Whatever you do, don't try to gauge how your kids will do in a school based on greatschools or schoolsdigger - those sites will point you to the least "hip" places in the area. Ping me if you want more info on the school, we are very happy there.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
And for every one of those there are ten poser dbags wearing neon frame sunglasses whilst sipping kombutcha.
Really? I've never seen these sunglasses and don't know what kombutcha is.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
There is some of that going on, especially in the last 3-4 years, but it's easy to ignore. If you look at the data though, Somerville has more artists per capita than any city in the country excluding NYC. You do need to live here to see it, you won't see it passing through Davis occasionally, but the creative class here is alive and well. Check out Artisans Asylum, Brooklyn Boulders, Barissimo, Aeronaut, Cuisine en Locale, Green City Growers, MF Dulock, etc. Not to mention the numerous artist communities like Brickbottom, Mad Oyster, Miller Street studios, Vernon st studios, Joy st studios. Never heard of most of these?? Then you don't know Somerville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts