Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 06:47 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,775,284 times

Advertisements

What exactly do you consider to be metro west?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 05:47 PM

7 posts, read 7,157 times
Scituate has solid schools, but overall I'd say both Scituate and Cohassett have some serious richkid-itis. Just my 2 cents

Old 03-20-2015, 03:52 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,311,302 times
Default re

Scituate has a much more middle class/laid back feel than cohasset. Those towns are two different leagues. I know people who just bought a house in scituate for 360k something. you would never find that in cohasset. I've driven down Jerusalem rd and atlantic st and I don't know who these people are that can afford homes in cohasset sometimes.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:19 PM

19 posts, read 45,048 times
If you're looking for somewhere on the water, i'd definitely consider Marshfield, Duxbury, Norwell, Hingham, Scituate and Cohasset. These are beautiful and safe towns. Hingham and Duxbury have two of the best school systems in the state, and Marshfield just reconstructed their whole high school. However, it is fairly expensive to live there, but regardless you should have no problem finding an excellent house for under 500K.

If you're looking for somewhere more inland where you can have land to raise livestock/chickens, etc., I'd recommend Middleboro, Lakeville, Carver, Plympton, Halifax, Hanson and Hanover. Middleboro, Lakeville and Carver are towns with a lot of farms/agriculture, especially cranberries, as this area is regarded as "cranberry country" and Ocean Spray's world headquarters is in Lakeville. They are also affordable places to live, the downside is the school systems (Middleboro, Apponequet, Carver) are not as proficient as the former schools mentioned, but that doesn't mean its a bad school, they still offer AP and college courses.

Plympton, Halifax, Whitman, Hanson and Hanover are similar towns to the aforementioned, but not as wide open and are a bit closer to commercial areas. Hanover has a mall and is right near the highway, they also have a brand new high school which looks beautiful and a good education system. Plympton and Halifax are part of the Silver Lake school district, another stellar school system with a brand new high school. Whitman and Hanson are other small farming towns, kind of in the middle of no where but it's very quiet and down to earth. Whitman does have a commercial area along Route 18 and is only about a 10 minutes drive from Brockton, the urban center of the South Shore. the Whitman-Hanson school dsitrict is also probably pretty good as well.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:34 AM

404 posts, read 902,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Scituate has a much more middle class/laid back feel than cohasset. Those towns are two different leagues. I know people who just bought a house in scituate for 360k something. you would never find that in cohasset. I've driven down Jerusalem rd and atlantic st and I don't know who these people are that can afford homes in cohasset sometimes.
I live in Scituate and currently work in Cohasset, and while I agree with pretty much everything you said, I disagree that the towns are in two different leagues. Jesrusalem Rd and Atlantic Ave have the big money wow factor that scituate doesn't have nearly as much of, but otherwise the towns are going to feel very similar.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:34 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,311,302 times
Interesting. I know both towns well also as I have family in both. Cohasset feels way more posh to me. There are other roads in cohasset that most people could never dream of living on. Nichols rd, black rock rd, beach st, north main st. i'm sure there are some areas that are more 'affordable' but overall it's not a place for people with an average income. I know people who make an average income and manage to live in scituate. Both are far from the city,but I think Scituate is even further plus they tend to get a lot of damage in storms which i think deters people from wanting to live there. I would say Scituate and Marshfield have a similar fee. Cohasset is on par moreso with Hingham, but still more money than Hingham.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:47 PM

374 posts, read 653,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybelly03 View Post
Oh right, budget. We would like to spend less than $500k.

Thanks for your insight!
Look to Hanover. I feel that it is in a better place than Marshfield plus closer to Boston. Depending on your spot you might be a quick drive to the Abington train station.

I definitely would not put Scituate schools on the same level as Duxbury or Hanover. Plus, many of the lots will be too small for your wants. Scituate has one of the highest concentrations of actual Irish persons in the area. It has some unique charm. However, all of the restaurants in the downtown area lack value. You really wouldn't find much to keep you on a Saturday night. Plus, you would contend with traffic to travel to other places.

I would stay away from Duxbury due to budget. The property taxes are going to be high.

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts