Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,246 times

Advertisements

I have recently moved back to the Boston area from New Orleans with my husband (a New Orleans native who has never lived anywhere else), and our 21 month old son.

We currently live in Brighton. But would like to buy a home in a quiet family friendly community.

Our criteria for a new home, are 1500 sq. ft, on a decent sized semi to fully wooded lot - 0.75 acre or more, in a safe family friendly community, with above average schools, within 45 min of the city by train.

We've narrowed in on Easton. I'm particularly looking for insights on the community, as well as the commute to Boston. I work across the street form the Ruggles station, making the stoughton/providence line ideal - I think

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 05:25 PM

546 posts, read 1,368,005 times
pqstokes,

I worked in Easton for about 5 years and got to know it some. Found it to be a really neat community that is growing and basically pretty safe. You did your homework as I can read in your post. Some of the areas near Rte. 138 can get a bit busy and noisy. I drove to work from Boston and did not take the T. There is a Bus that goes up and down Rte. 138 as well, but not sure of its terminus. I heard people rave about the school system as well.

Good luck with your choice

Old 03-28-2015, 05:58 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,579,348 times
Easton has a small town feel. If that is what you are looking for it will be perfect for you.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:40 PM

7,274 posts, read 5,235,613 times
I've lived here since 1991 near Borderland.

Our two kids were brought up through the Easton school system which, although the curriculum was behind Brockton's, our kids got a really good education.

Within the town itself, I think the shopping is terrible. Target is close by in a plaza with a Hannafords and the worst TJ Maxx I've ever been to. Five Corners has Shaws and CVS. Little stores spattered about, but Brockton/Westgate Mall isn't that far. Mansfield too is close by with Home Depot and such, and BJ's Wholesale is down Bay Rd. Point is, within 15 minutes or so you can get to most anything you need. There's a few good restaurants in town. The Farmers Daughter gets great reviews. I like the Stoneforge.

The center of town isn't a center to me - just a wannabe, but since I live a few miles away I don't care. Mansfield has a much nicer town center to walk and window shop and grab a bite to eat and drink, and a 3-mile walking/bike trail.

Overall I like the countryish feel to the town. Over the years Easton has kept business out which is why I believe Mansfield grew so fast. The old dog track was a money maker for a while, in Raynham right over the border, because the town didn't want the traffic. But in doing things like that, the town never really garnished a centralized shopping area, Things are spread out and not as congested as other surrounding towns. The worst traffic is generally school bus traffic. Rte 123 and 138 aren't that bad.

The commute to Boston sucks, but it does from any direction. Rte 24 can be a bear, and couple that with the expressway commutes can easily be one hour + every day. Going through Sharon past the train station to Rte 95 isn't much better, as Rte 95 or Rte 1 can back up approaching Rte 128. And the lights on Rte 1 aren't great. But if you ride the commuter rail, you can go to either Sharon or Mansfield stations within 10-15 minutes. I've always driven and never taken the rail.

My street doesn't have a sidewalk, as many other streets don't either. So if that's an issue, check out the streets.

With the kids grown up and gone, still like it enough to stay.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:54 PM

295 posts, read 313,788 times
i've always been a fan of Easton. if the south coast rail project ever gets completed, there might be two mbta stations in the town. Commuting wise, stoughton line to me seems to be less crowded and ive never had a problem finding a paid parking spot at the station. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts