Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 09:33 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
You repeat this same nonsense EVERY TIME someone posts that they will be working in Cambridge. The commute on the Fitchburg line from places like Acton is just as long as it is on the South station side. Why you keep perpetuating this myth that it's faster is beyond me.
Also, the Fitchburg line goes to North Station which requires a transfer to 2 different subway lines to get to Kendall Sq., no? This seems like a bigger pain than the Hingham commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 09:36 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Also, the Fitchburg line goes to North Station which requires a transfer to 2 different subway lines to get to Kendall Sq., no? This seems like a bigger pain than the Hingham commute.
You can get off at Porter and switch to the Red Line. However the ride from Porter to Kendall is still just as long as South Station to Kendall (albeit slightly less crowded).

Old 04-07-2015, 09:52 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Oh ok, missed the Porter stop.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:25 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
Quote:
Lol. My "issue" is that you pitch it as "very easy," which it is not. "West is still better" - again, nothing substantiates that other than you saying so.

Are they all options? Yes. Is one inherently better than the other? Not really as far as commuting goes.

You obviously do not know this area very well.

OP never confirmed her place of work. It could very well be Porter or Harvard Sq. Yes, Cambridge is frustrating to travel to, but I do stand by my claim that staying west helps. Belmont, Arlington, Watertown, are very easy commutes. Lincoln is easy too. Acton and Concord take longer, but would offer bigger yards, and privacy, if that is what OP values.

There is also Bedford and Lexington, but commute might be more complicated since it would involve driving into Alewife.

You can be rude and frustrated about it all you want, it doesn't change a thing about OP options when moving to this area. They are limited, especially when housing budget is another unknown. Ideally Belmont Hill would offer space and privacy, with an easy commute, and great amenities.

Cheers.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:43 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post

OP never confirmed her place of work. It could very well be Porter or Harvard Sq.
She said Kendall specifically. I have a co-worker that takes the ferry from Hingham to Boston and then rides a Hubway bike to Kendall. Beats driving on Rt. 2 if you ask me!

Old 04-07-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Wrong. I commute from Stoughton to Cambridge daily via commuter rail and the Red Line. How about you?

Quote:
OP never confirmed her place of work. It could very well be Porter or Harvard Sq. Yes, Cambridge is frustrating to travel to, but I do stand by my claim that staying west helps. Belmont, Arlington, Watertown, are very easy commutes. Lincoln is easy too. Acton and Concord take longer, but would offer bigger yards, and privacy, if that is what OP values.
Actually OP Said Kendall. You have given no actual reason why "west" helps; probably because there is no reason.

Quote:
There is also Bedford and Lexington, but commute might be more complicated since it would involve driving into Alewife.

You can be rude and frustrated about it all you want, it doesn't change a thing about OP options when moving to this area. They are limited, especially when housing budget is another unknown. Ideally Belmont Hill would offer space and privacy, with an easy commute, and great amenities.

Cheers.
Rude and frustrated? Like I give a damn lol. I'm simply trying to make sure someone doesn't rely on inaccurate information. Telling someone the commute from Acton is easier than it is from Hingham is inaccurate. It's the same **** from a different direction. Now there may be other reasons why Acton is a better choice, but the commute isn't one of them.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:22 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
I agree with DM84 that the Kendall commute is the same whether you are coming down the Fitchburg line or up from a South Station line. That's only taking into consideration the commuter rail though. I think living NW of Cambridge is better than South of Boston because you have better commuting options into Cambridge. Taking the train from Alewife is probably 2-3x quicker than taking it from Braintree. Also, driving is easier from Rt-2 for days when the OP needs to leave early to get to an appointment.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:16 PM

11 posts, read 19,732 times
I appreciate all your comments

Old 04-07-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I agree with DM84 that the Kendall commute is the same whether you are coming down the Fitchburg line or up from a South Station line. That's only taking into consideration the commuter rail though. I think living NW of Cambridge is better than South of Boston because you have better commuting options into Cambridge. Taking the train from Alewife is probably 2-3x quicker than taking it from Braintree. Also, driving is easier from Rt-2 for days when the OP needs to leave early to get to an appointment.
I have several co-workers who live in towns along the Fitchburg line. Some drive, some take the train, all hate the commute. You're basically just picking your poison unless you live in Cambridge or Somerville (which based on my informal polling is somewhat uncommon). I agree with you about the somewhat easier time getting home if you leave early, but remember parking in Cambridge is at a premium, so for many driving isn't really a viable option even if they wanted it to be, and a 25-40 mile drive home at 1 pm is going to be the same in most directions.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:31 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
I have several co-workers who live in towns along the Fitchburg line. Some drive, some take the train, all hate the commute. You're basically just picking your poison unless you live in Cambridge or Somerville (which based on my informal polling is somewhat uncommon). I agree with you about the somewhat easier time getting home if you leave early, but remember parking in Cambridge is at a premium, so for many driving isn't really a viable option even if they wanted it to be, and a 25-40 mile drive home at 1 pm is going to be the same in most directions.
You're right. I was thinking Bedford might be a good choice for the OP when I typed that last post, but I was just looking at a map and just realized Hingham is even closer to Kendall than Bedford is. Every time someone mentions Hingham my mind automatically thinks it's so far away. It's like Sudbury. Everyone is always surprised when I tell them I'm only 20 miles from Kendall. I think the lack of a direct route into Kendall makes it seem like most towns are further away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts