Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 06:50 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
This is false. The ferry runs all winter, and only shuts down in the case of extreme weather. And I believe you can use the commuter rail with your boat pass, so even if the ferry shuts down, you can ride the train. A monthly boat or commuter rail pass also includes unlimited T rides.

The ferry from Hingham goes to Rowes Wharf, which is even closer to South Station than Long Wharf. I think the ferry to the red line at South Station wouldn't be the worst way to do the commute. Driving to Quincy or Braintree and catching the red line from there wouldn't be awful, either, but the trains will be very crowded. But with that second option, you don't have to transfer modes of transportation after you park your car.
If the schedule works out then personally I think the ferry is the best bet. The problem with driving to Quincy or Braintree is you have to sit in traffic just to get there, park, and then you still have a long ride to Kendall. At least with commuter rail it's not as crowded, but you do have to deal with the red line no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 11:27 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,526 times
I looked at the Hingham ferry schedule. Even though the ferry ride itself is only 35-40 minutes, when you factor in driving from your house to the Shipyard, parking, and then walking to South Station and waiting for a red line train and then riding it to Kendall Square and walking to your office, this commute could easily turn into 90 minutes. Say you leave your house at 6:30 to catch the 6:50 ferry, which gets to Rowes Wharf at 7:30. You'd probably get to Kendall Square around 8:00 if the T is running smoothly. Just a heads up that if you go this route, try to live closer to the ferry terminal.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
I looked at the Hingham ferry schedule. Even though the ferry ride itself is only 35-40 minutes, when you factor in driving from your house to the Shipyard, parking, and then walking to South Station and waiting for a red line train and then riding it to Kendall Square and walking to your office, this commute could easily turn into 90 minutes. Say you leave your house at 6:30 to catch the 6:50 ferry, which gets to Rowes Wharf at 7:30. You'd probably get to Kendall Square around 8:00 if the T is running smoothly. Just a heads up that if you go this route, try to live closer to the ferry terminal.
That's the biggest problem with any commute to Cambridge unless you live and work right next to the Red Line. Every transfer point adds time to the process.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:47 PM

51 posts, read 65,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
That's the biggest problem with any commute to Cambridge unless you live and work right next to the Red Line. Every transfer point adds time to the process.
Though one nice thing about the ferry (in contrast to the train and T) is you can take a bike, and in nice weather it is a relatively easy bike ride from Rowes Wharf or Long Wharf to Kendall Sq (it's < 3 miles), and much quicker!

Old 04-09-2015, 03:10 PM

56 posts, read 73,060 times
I used to work in Kendall and we briefly considered Hingham. We quickly determined that the commute would be intolerable. I agree with the others who estimated about a 90 min commute, whether by commuter rail or ferry. I had about a 45 minute commute when I lived within walking distance of the Wollaston T stop and took the Red Line in directly (no transfers required). I also wouldn't even think of driving in from the South Shore unless you are a very zen person!

Unfortunately, Kendall is just a place that takes a long time to get to from most places. If you want a shorter commute than Hingham and still be outside of the city, I would probably recommend Braintree near the red line stop.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:33 PM

123 posts, read 245,990 times
I know a lot of people have already responded, but I just want to re-iterate:

Commuting from Hingham to Kendall Square is an insane idea. You are out of your mind to even consider it.

Live in Cambridge if you can afford it. It is a wonderful community. If you are freaked out by all the people, try Belmont or Lincoln. Personally, I would want to live as close to work as possible.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 4,101 times
OP, would love to know where you ended up. We are looking at Hingham right now and my husband works in Waltham!

Old 10-19-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep31 View Post
OP, would love to know where you ended up. We are looking at Hingham right now and my husband works in Waltham!
I would advise against this commute.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:38 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mep31 View Post
I think there are 3 possible solutions to your problem:

1. Move closer to Waltham
2. Find another job
3. Buy/rent an apartment near Waltham to live in Mon thru Fri

Commuting from Hingham to Waltham is a nightmare and I would avoid it all costs.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:45 PM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I think there are 3 possible solutions to your problem:

1. Move closer to Waltham
2. Find another job
3. Buy/rent an apartment near Waltham to live in Mon thru Fri

Commuting from Hingham to Waltham is a nightmare and I would avoid it all costs.
I wouldn't do that commute if you offered me $1,000,000.

Battling 128 every day? NO THANK YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts