U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:19 PM

7 posts, read 5,039 times

Advertisements

we have a single family home as a rental in a residential neighborhood outside Boston (all single family homes). I only want families, couples, kids are fine, OK if they are married/unmarried, gay; etc however I do not want to rent to students or roommates. My understanding is students not protected class so OK to say 'no students' in listing, is it also OK to say no roommates? Too difficult to manage a lease wtih multiple adults sharing a house. Also too many cars and too disruptive to neighbors. Have done it once, big mistake. Any advice apprecated. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 03:32 PM

123 posts, read 231,069 times
I would just ask people to tell you about themselves in an email.

A lot of people like to rent to older, single women. But you don't say that in the ad.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:52 PM

13,481 posts, read 12,447,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltham-owner View Post
we have a single family home as a rental in a residential neighborhood outside Boston (all single family homes). I only want families, couples, kids are fine, OK if they are married/unmarried, gay; etc however I do not want to rent to students or roommates. My understanding is students not protected class so OK to say 'no students' in listing, is it also OK to say no roommates? Too difficult to manage a lease wtih multiple adults sharing a house. Also too many cars and too disruptive to neighbors. Have done it once, big mistake. Any advice apprecated. Thanks.
Say nothing in the ad. Just have them fill out as application of some sort. The answers will jump off the page.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:34 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,522,882 times
That could possibly be construed as discrimination based on familial status. It's really easy to be sued when you try to dictate who can and cannot rent your property. So be careful. I just took a continuing ed class Wednesday that dealt with this and many of the real estate agents in the room had no idea about some of the traps you can fall into. You can definitely say "no students" though. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2015, 02:11 PM

3,471 posts, read 4,180,998 times
You can definitely limit the number of occupants.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:54 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,522,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
You can definitely limit the number of occupants.
Not if the occupants are related.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:45 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,404,881 times
This can be a dicey subject.

We certainly should not debate 'what is a family' on this thread but it's relevant to say that your categories of desirable tenants could get into the highly charged domain of 'what is a family'. What is a 'couple'? For example, are you going to decide if you are renting to two male roommates (not OK) or to a gay couple (OK)?

It's a little different because this 'family' bought a house so it was a zoning question, not a landlord/tenant dispute but look at the Scarborough Eight story from Hartford, CT. Interesting view of the different sides of this question...

Scarborough Street flap should encourage Hartford to change its zoning code. - Hartford Courant

Old 07-14-2015, 04:41 PM

don't care if they are gay, or of any ethnic group, w/wo kids fine too, but I do not want to deal with several unrelated adults (roommates) who treat the place as a boarding house rather than a home, did it once, never again. Kids are fine too. I once had three professional females, it was a revolving door, either because of job transfer, falling out with each other, moving in with new boyfriend, etc, perpetual drama. Not to say couples cannot break up, but has not happened on my watch and we have 3 rental properties, the couples/families are more stable.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:16 PM

1,572 posts, read 2,590,721 times
I usually make potential tenants fill out the application and review it before showing them the place. Most people never return the application.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:27 PM

I actually do the reverse, I do an email screen asking basic info, how many occupants, desired length of stay, move date, do they have pets, smokers etc, make it clear I require a very good credit score (and if they do not reply they are out). If they seem legit then make an appointment to see the place, only then I give them an application if they ask for one. I am not a pro, just have one rental in Boston area with low turnover. I am sure professional property managers with multiple properties have a much more efficient process than mine. Try not to engage until I feel I have a qualified candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts