Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 11:24 AM

49 posts, read 54,008 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are a small family of 3 that will move to Boston this summer from California. My son currently attends a school which has a focus on "whole child education", which means hands-on and project-based learning, lots of parent participation and community building, and emphasis on socio-emotional development rather than good test score. The academic is good, but that's not the school's focus. We really, really love this school, so it's really hard for us to leave the school and the community.

I know that public schools in the suburbs such as Newton, Brookline are academically strong and have high test scores. However, do (some of )these schools take a progressive approach and value community building? Dear son is 6 and will be entering 1st grade in the fall.

Thanks ahead for your feedback/suggestions. We don't know anyone in Boston, so hopefully we could get some useful info on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 01:13 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
My experience has been that the only "good" school districts in MA are the ones with the highest test scores. People tend to look down on school districts with scores that are not the best, even if they are doing well otherwise.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:26 PM

226 posts, read 386,409 times
Doesn't one of the acton elementaries have an alternative learning setup?

Old 04-19-2015, 03:08 PM

649 posts, read 815,839 times
Massachusetts in general is very "whole child" unfriendly with its monomaniaical focus on testing. It is a very strange environment because the same progressive parents that want holistic, nurturing, progressive, nature-based or waldorfy preschools want verifiably assessed and codified "good schools" when it comes time for real schools. The so-called "good schools" can only establish that they are "good" (and therefore worthy of inflated housing values) with testing. So these same parents that would rather eat paint than to send their sons to kindergarten before they are at least 6 have no problem handing them over full-day to an institution that sacrifices recess and lunch time for test prep at the kindergarten level.

It was when I called around to the "good schools" asking about recess and lunch and art,music, gym and library that we freaked out. There are bigger fish to fry than "how do they develop the whole child" when it comes to evaluating a town's schools in MA- is the library open more than once a week (Framingham, Natick?) is there a cafeteria/hot lunch (Newton), is there more than one 15 minute recess a day (Arlington), is lunch more than 15minutes long? Some really really basic questions that you would never think to ask need to be asked. The school we were zoned to was actually awesome compared to the answers I got from the "good schools" a.) had a luxurious 20 minute recess once a day after a 30min lunch b.) recess was 90% indoors due to topography/flooding at brand new building c.) art on a cart had replaced a dedicated art room, but they had art weekly d.) had a full time librarian and full time open library d.) gym was supposed to be twice a week but having all recess indoors had made gym not happen due to space e.) gifted intervention started in kindergarten with a program run by the librarian (turned out this was a special literacy program to support native speakers of english in an environment where they were in the minority and treated as "gifted".) f.) housed/mainstreamed the entire city's population of of kids that had proven themselves to be discipline/behavior problems in the city's other schools, so (in the case of that particular year of kindergarten) 30% of the whole kindergarten was part of this behavioral integration program.

If you do not succeed in finding a specifically progressive program at a public school (cambridge elementaries purport different learning environments you could look into them if you can afford to live in cambridge) I urge you to call/tour/rigorously query your short list of towns before signing on the dotted line.

And as I always I hold the excellent schools of Newton as an example.
[vimeo]58028843[/vimeo]
[vimeo]58028843[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/58028843

Old 04-19-2015, 06:36 PM

161 posts, read 230,856 times
McCarthy Towne, Merriam, or Douglas in Acton might fit your needs, but elementary school assignment is lottery. If you move to Acton, you are not guaranteed to get a spot at any particular school. However, from what I have observed, McCarthy Towne tends to have more space than the other schools in town.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:30 PM

Thanks so much everyone for your kind reply! SalamanderSmile, vow, you're really an expert on the local schools and I've learned a lot from reading your post. Thanks a lot for the video, too!

From my own research I found a school called "John D. Runkle" in Brookline, which seems to adopt a progressive approach. The greatschools rating is 9, which I think is good enough. Love the ethnic diversity too. Has anyone heard about or have any experience with this school?

I'll need to do more homework, and will visit some of the schools when we come for the house hunting trip. I'll update after I do that.

00na, I may skip those school that goes through a lottery system. I already feel both excited and nervous before the big moving. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Last edited by sparty8888; 04-19-2015 at 07:41 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 09:24 AM

26 posts, read 55,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparty8888 View Post
Hi,
We are a small family of 3 that will move to Boston this summer from California. My son currently attends a school which has a focus on "whole child education", which means hands-on and project-based learning, lots of parent participation and community building, and emphasis on socio-emotional development rather than good test score. The academic is good, but that's not the school's focus. We really, really love this school, so it's really hard for us to leave the school and the community.

I know that public schools in the suburbs such as Newton, Brookline are academically strong and have high test scores. However, do (some of )these schools take a progressive approach and value community building? Dear son is 6 and will be entering 1st grade in the fall.

Thanks ahead for your feedback/suggestions. We don't know anyone in Boston, so hopefully we could get some useful info on this forum.
I know the town you need to check out. HOLLISTON - It's a town over from where the Boston
Marathon starts. The community is real...Boston Magazine has numerous times mentioned them.
The school system is awesome. Kindergarten you have a choice of French Immersion and/or
Montessori. This continues in the school - plenty of activities for the kids and family to enjoy
together. You don't say where you/husband will be working but there is a commuter rail to
Boston in Ashland, Framingham, and Southborough, - all towns nearby. Change is hard and your
6yr. old will feel welcome - as well as yourself. Home prices maybe a concern - but closer into
Boston the prices are higher. Natick maybe another town to check out...wish you luck!

Old 04-20-2015, 10:00 AM

Thanks so much for your reply! My husband will be working in downtown Boston.
Holliston sounds great! I just checked the google map and saw that it is on the West side. The commute may be a little long though. Will see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripngirl View Post
I know the town you need to check out. HOLLISTON - It's a town over from where the Boston
Marathon starts. The community is real...Boston Magazine has numerous times mentioned them.
The school system is awesome. Kindergarten you have a choice of French Immersion and/or
Montessori. This continues in the school - plenty of activities for the kids and family to enjoy
together. You don't say where you/husband will be working but there is a commuter rail to
Boston in Ashland, Framingham, and Southborough, - all towns nearby. Change is hard and your
6yr. old will feel welcome - as well as yourself. Home prices maybe a concern - but closer into
Boston the prices are higher. Natick maybe another town to check out...wish you luck!

Old 12-23-2015, 06:17 PM

26 posts, read 55,429 times
Hi
Just checked in on the site...
Did you make the move? If you did the temperatures
In the 70's will seem like California. Let me know if I
can answer questions. Love to help if I can.
Nancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts