Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 04:16 PM

18 posts, read 19,581 times

Advertisements

Found a home that could work for us in Russell. We took a drive through the area. It's beautiful, but very rural. Just looking for opinions and advice on the area. Are the people friendly? I see that the schools fall under Gateway Regional. Does anyone know more info on these schools? I can't find anything about the area. Some help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 05:22 PM

9,966 posts, read 15,570,327 times
It looks to be a very small town:

Russell, Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We have some posters here from that general area so I'm sure you'll get some opinions.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:04 PM

18 posts, read 19,581 times
Thankyou Casey for the reply.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:55 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,254,635 times
Where will you be moving from? Working?

Old 04-21-2015, 05:59 AM

93 posts, read 100,830 times
In 26 years...never heard of it. and its a pretty small state!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:14 AM

459 posts, read 616,734 times
Check if you can get high speed internet if your work or life style needs it.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:08 AM

26,650 posts, read 28,557,937 times
Russell is in Western MA and it seems that most people on here are from the Boston area or EMass. I'm from Western MA so I have been to Russell but I'll admit that I don't know much about it.

Sometimes when we wanted to take a drive to a really remote area, we would go to those towns like Russell. As I remember it, there wasn't much there and I never wanted to live there. I don't remember any stores or much of anything else, just a few houses.

There is a former industrial area called Woronoco (sp) and there are other little towns like Granville. When I was a kid we used to pass through Granville on the way to CT to visit relatives. I seem to remember some place in Granville that made cheese and had a little shop, maybe a country store. Granville was kind of a neat place.

You will have rivers and forest and you will relate a lot more to CT, being on or near the state line. I don't know where you'd go for shopping although if Enfield CT is close enough it's filled with stores and malls.

You will have Westfield for a "city" but it's pretty run down although it does have the wonderful Stanley Park.

Forget Springfield--it has become one of the worst cities in MA. I'd guess you would pretty much have to make your own entertainment if you live in Russell. There will be country fairs and you can probably go hiking and kayaking on the rivers so I hope you enjoy those types of things.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:07 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,406,209 times
Russell is one of the Massachusetts "hill towns". If you enjoy outdoor activities, there are some excellent trails there, and it's close enough to Westfield (the "Whip City") that you have some urban resources available. But don't expect much excitement in Russell itself!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:49 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,522,600 times
Neat area I know little about. It's on the Westfield River, very scenic. Quiet town with next to nothing going on, might or might not have a gas station, probably has a dive bar or two, the kind of town where most socializing happens on Saturdays at the transfer station. Westfield is close, Northampton is within range. there are some scenic nowhere towns in that area that I've driven through but never spent real time in, like Montgomery, Huntington, Granville, smalltown New England swamp yankee territory, just far enough east to be away from that pretentious old-money Berkshire vibe.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 930 times
Thumbs up Huntington

I grew up in the Hilltowns.. Specifically that "Nowhere Scenic little town called Huntington". It is a beautiful place to live if you're not into the rat race of city life. It is family oriented and very nice.
There isn't much to do unless you're into outdoor sports and entertainment, but you couldn't have a better area to raise children in. That goes for Russell, Chester, Blandford, and all the rest there. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts