Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:11 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, I didn't. I've chosen not to live in far flung suburbs and take the commuter rail. I understand that is a trade off (wanting a bigger / better / cheaper living space, for further/more expensive/less reliable commutes) and I chose what is best for me.

I'll stick the the T. And if it goes down, as it did far too often, I'll walk or take out the mountain bike; as I did this past winter.

The failure of this winter is all the better reason for them to take the money (and actually charge what they should charge, even Chicago is 33% more for a monthly pass, and having lived there and used it, it's really about the same system quality wise), and invest in the infrastructure to prevent this from happening again. The system is antiquated. They shouldn't be giving discounts at all, the system needs ever single penny.
These far flung suburbs you speak of are less than 20 miles from downtown. Just because you can afford to live in the city doesn't mean everyone else can. FYI - I actually fared better than people who lived in Quincy and relied on the red line. Is that a far flung suburb too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 09:20 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
These far flung suburbs you speak of are less than 20 miles from downtown. Just because you can afford to live in the city doesn't mean everyone else can. FYI - I actually fared better than people who lived in Quincy and relied on the red line. Is that a far flung suburb too?

Afford to? I find it cheaper, because of reduced transportation costs. I'm looking to move to Worcester because my work wants me at our office out there. It will cost me more to live there than Somerville does, in the end.

People can live most anywhere, if they work professionally in Boston, if they make the trade offs. Plenty of my friends in Somerville earn around 30k a year, not groundbreaking sums.

And no, I don't consider Quincy far flung (but 20 miles is pretty far out there!!) They also aren't reliant on the commuter rail, so you're changing the issue, again. I have friends in Quincy. They had some issues, but like me, most biked in. As did my friends in JP. Or found other ways.

There shouldn't have been the issues there were, which is why the system needs proper investment. And not taking away money from a poorly funded system. $75 a month/unlimited, is a damn joke.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Afford to? I find it cheaper, because of reduced transportation costs.

People can live most anywhere, if they work professionally in Boston, if they make the trade offs. Plenty of my friends in Somerville earn around 30k a year, not groundbreaking sums.

And no, I don't consider Quincy far flung. They also aren't reliant on the commuter rail, so you're changing the issue, again. I have friends in Quincy. They had some issues, but like me, most biked in. As did my friends in JP. Or found other ways.

There shouldn't have been the issues there were, which is why the system needs proper investment. And not taking away money from a poorly funded system. $75 a month/unlimited, is a damn joke.
Not everyone is single. Not everyone is physically fit enough to bike several miles in 10 degree weather. Some people have spouses who don't work in Boston so it makes more sense to live in the suburbs. Just because you found a solution that worked for you doesn't mean everyone else can do the same thing. Everyone's experiences are valid.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Not everyone is single. Not everyone is physically fit enough to bike several miles in 10 degree weather. Some people have spouses who don't work in Boston so it makes more sense to live in the suburbs. Just because you found a solution that worked for you doesn't mean everyone else can do the same thing. Everyone's experiences are valid.

And those choices they've made (to get married, for their spouse to choose a job outside of Boston, or them to choose one inside Boston, to not keep in shape, etc) have repercussions. We make our own beds.

Taking money out of the pockets of an inadequately funded T system does NOTHING to improve it. Nothing. It's just idiotic.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:02 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
I stand corrected, the T is discounting passes by 15% for the month of May. Which obviously just a token gesture, but not quite as insulting as a "free day".

Old 04-22-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I stand corrected, the T is discounting passes by 15% for the month of May. Which obviously just a token gesture, but not quite as insulting as a "free day".

It's worse than insulting. It is fiscally idiotic!! They need the $$$!!!

Old 04-22-2015, 10:12 AM

671 posts, read 900,923 times
Quote:
The don't want to lose customers. Some people would probably say "f it, I'm driving in, can't rely on the T". Maybe this entices them to change their mind once they factor in costs.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:31 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,180 times
You all have valid complaints and concerns. Mine are frivolous. My kids loved riding the Metro in DC. They've never spent much time on the T. That is because the husband hates Boston and wants nothing to do with the city & I am from small town USA. Cities are intimidating to me as are their transportation systems. I wanted to step outside my comfort zone and take the kids on the T. They've been before, but it's been so long ago they don't remember. Turns out we have plans Friday. Not sure about the weather for tomorrow. Maybe this summer. The money isn't really an issue. Kids ride free so I'd just be paying for myself. I would go free or not.

If you don't invest in the infrastructure of course it's going to fail you eventually.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
If you really feel that way you are welcome to buy a Zone 10 pass for May. It will cost you a paltry $307 with the 15% discount. That equals the cost of about 5 link passes that you claim aren't cheap enough and gives you the same unlimited ride privileges that your current underpriced pass has. Maybe you can recruit all your friends to do the same. While you're at it you can check off the higher tax rate box on your state tax return since you think the government isn't taking enough money from you.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:40 PM

3,793 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
The failure of this winter is all the better reason for them to take the money (and actually charge what they should charge, even Chicago is 33% more for a monthly pass, and having lived there and used it, it's really about the same system quality wise), and invest in the infrastructure to prevent this from happening again. The system is antiquated. They shouldn't be giving discounts at all, the system needs ever single penny.
There is some common sense to this logic, for if they improve the service, ridership will return. And clearly they need improvements to the system. However, they also need to increase their operating efficiency, and ought to rein in their personnel. There is a real sense that employees are taking advantage of customers.

People are frustrated with the MBTA. Actions speak louder than gimmicky discounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts