Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:23 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Not quite true. For this discussion it is though.

RWD tend to oversteer. FWD understeer. AWD do both. AWD Family haulers - i.e. Hondas, Toyotas, Fusions, etc - are built to understeer, but in some conditions, they'll oversteer too. AWD performance cars -BMW coupes/sedans, Porsche 911, etc - are built to oversteer. Under the right conditions, they'll understeer too.

Basically, AWD is the worst of both worlds - you get all the bad habits of a FWD car AND all the bad habits of a RWD car for more off the line traction.

But off the line traction is good - I've turned 1.6 60's on street tires in an AWD car. 1.6 are impossible on street tires on a FWD or RWD car, there isn't enough traction, you need drag radials or slicks to start that fast with 2 wheel drive.
And AWD cars make for interesting doughnuts. Most of them rotate around the COG instead of camping out on the front or rear wheels.
I think you took my statement a little too literally and out of context to the content of this thread.

I wasn't referring to pulling a 1G turn at Nurburgring. My statement was pertaining to creeping down the road at 15MPH in a blizzard and trying to come to a stop when someone pulls out in front of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 05:30 AM

4,628 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I think you took my statement a little too literally and out of context to the content of this thread.

I wasn't referring to pulling a 1G turn at Nurburgring. My statement was pertaining to creeping down the road at 15MPH in a blizzard and trying to come to a stop when someone pulls out in front of you.
True, but the limits of adhesion are much lower in the winter. Take a corner too fast for your tires in a blizzard, you'll understeer into a tree, or you'll oversteer into a tree, depending on lots of things, but drivetrain layout is a big one Snow tires do make the limits much higher! Summer tires, the limits might be 15 mph, with snows you could safely take the same corner at 40 mph.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:29 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Ultimate (IMO) is AWD w/good winter tires and a manual transmission. But really, AWD is mostly useful in conditions such as getting going from a dead stop or when moving very slowly and needing to pick up speed (i.e. traction). Once your on the move with ok speed AWD isn’t as useful. Throw in a manual transmission and you have even more control.

I’ve had all kinds of cars. Much of it is knowing how to drive in the snow and how to handle and take turns with RWD vs. FWD. We currently have a Forester (AWD and good ground clearance) w/ a manual transmission (I’ve owned nothing but manuals for the past 15 yrs and it’s become a deal breaker to get an automatic, which makes car shopping tougher) – no problem getting through anything this past winter. Other cars were getting stuck in the same places that we were easily able to get through.

I wouldn’t consider the mini. Get a car that’s better – just throw a rock and whatever car it hits will very likely be better. I'd throw my rock directly at the Impreza 5 speed manual and change out the tires in the winter. Best of luck.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:58 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Pretty much any car will be OK with modern friction tires. With that kind of a commute, tire life is a pretty big deal. The Bridgestone Blizzak is the best friction tire on the market. It has fantastic grip and very good black ice performance which is critical in the Northeast. The problem is that amazing grip goes away at about 12,000 miles and it becomes a very average tire. With infinite money, I'd run Blizzaks and swap them when the outer rubber coating wears off. Nokian makes a friction tire that is almost as good and will easily live for 30K miles. I've coaxed 45K out of them. With that much driving, I'd also consider Nokian's all season tire called the WR G2. You'll mostly be driving on black pavement. You'll get the wear of an all season tire and pretty good snow and black ice performance.

I winter at a ski resort. I've had 4WD/AWD since the mid-1980's and owned VW GTI's as my daily driver. For southern New England highway driving where the plowing is typically pretty good, FWD and good snow tires is fine.

My last VW GTI had a DSG transmission with paddle shifters. I have a new Outback with CVT and paddle shifters. My last batch of SUVs all had conventional automatics. If you're aware of that PRND32L thingie and use it, an automatic works just about as well as a manual transmission for snow driving. Unlike a 5,000+ pound SUV that wants to go straight no matter what you do with steering or braking inputs on a slippery surface, a Mini is going to be quite predictable since it's so much lighter. The only time it will be funky is driving on slush since it has such a short wheelbase. My GTIs with Nokian or Blizzak snow tires were always better than my SUVs with snow tires on plowed/snow covered roads unless I was driving in wet slop.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:34 AM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
AWD will help you out year round and give you better traction.

I don't think it is absolutely necessary to get a 4x4 or AWD car but you do need to learn to drive in the mess.

We have a JeeP Wrangler 4x4 and it drives my wife crazy when it is slippery out and I don't put it into 4 high. I like the challenge of navigating safely and trying to get it into the driveway.

Remember nothing will start or more importantly STOP you on ice and black ice is the worse since you can't see it so you need to be careful and drive defensively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts