Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 02:08 PM

6 posts, read 8,482 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am a student graduating soon and have got a job in Woburn, MA. I am from India.

I currently stay in Minneapolis, MN.

I am looking for apartments closer to Woburn. I would prefer to have the rent around 1000$. I am not specific on the area regarding what communities live around me. I am looking for safe places which are also closer to basic amenities like Indian Groceries/Target/Walmart/Rainbow/Cubfoods. I cook well so restaurants are not of concern to me. If Woburn and the above mentioned places are within 30 minutes drive I would be happy.

Also, my one other friend is moving in to MA to work in Hudson. Is it feasible for us to live anywhere in between? If so could you please suggest places. Our interests are pretty much the same. Together we are fine with either taking a 2 bed room or sharing a 1 bed room.

Weekend travel to happening places is always there. But first priority is the above mentioned.

I would be very happy to hear suggestions from people already living there.

Thank You,
Trishul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 02:13 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I think Westford or Chelmsford would suit you and your friend well as being safe, having plenty of Indian people, big box stores (Walmart, etc in Chelmsford) and having plenty of decent apartments, good access to highway for Woburn. There are lot of Indian restaurants in the area so there must be a grocery spot somewhere nearby. Best wishes on your move and jobs and congratulations on graduating!

Old 05-17-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think Westford or Chelmsford would suit you and your friend well as being safe, having plenty of Indian people, big box stores (Walmart, etc in Chelmsford) and having plenty of decent apartments, good access to highway for Woburn. There are lot of Indian restaurants in the area so there must be a grocery spot somewhere nearby. Best wishes on your move and jobs and congratulations on graduating!
Hello brightdoglover,

Thank you very much!!

What would be your suggestion for places around Woburn.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:02 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,047,572 times
You're looking at a fairly large area. This puts you north of Rte. 20, east and south of I-495, north and west of I-95/Rte.128 and west of I-93. You'll need to increase your budget by a few hundred to get better rental options, however. $1000 might get you a studio or single bedroom.

I will forewarn your commutes may not be easy. Your friend would have to face I-495 (which is a pain during rush hour), but you'll also face Rte. 3/Rte.128, or I-495/I-93 (and possibly even the Rte.128/I-93 interchange, either way, depending on where your job is located in Woburn). If you're not used to multiple interchanges, experiencing "bottlenecks" will not be fun. However, if you still want to consider Chelmsford and Westford, keep in mind they're fairly suburban communities that are generally more family oriented. Lowell is the city nearby which will provide some more action (and college students & grads) and some good eats downtown; but note it can also be sketchy. Just be aware. There's also a commuter rail station in Lowell to Boston, if you ever want to visit the bigger City.

This next suggestion is a bit of a stretch, but if you and your friend can increase your budget (800-1000 for each of you for a 2 bedroom; or possibly split a three bedroom with another roommate), I'd strongly consider Waltham, which will have more young professionals & college grads, plus the amenities you seek in the City if not close by (stores, restaurants, etc). Not to mention it's closer to Boston, if you ever want to visit. Moody St. is a good restaurant hotspot downtown. Your friend may have back roads (mostly Rte 20), or I-90 (with tolls), but he'll be traveling opposite most of the traffic (west, instead of east, toward Boston). Meanwhile, you'll have Rte. 128 to contend with, (and will have to pass another busy interchange with Rte. 2), but Woburn and Waltham are only a couple towns apart distance-wise, and one can take back roads to the other. If this isn't feasible, it's still worth a visit when you move to the area.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:24 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Waltham is a good idea for both. OP did say s/he doesn't care about restaurants because likes to cook, so I think an Indian grocery would be more important than restaurants (although I think of the presence of restaurants as a sign that a grocery is available).

If living alone, I think OP would be fine in Woburn, especially on the Winchester line. S/he didn't say anything about night life or culture, so I think a safe and nearby suburb would be fine. I'd look at a good map and see what suburbs are convenient and south or east of Woburn if looking a little further afield. Assuming OP works normal business hours, that would have OP going opposite rush hour traffic and still be convenient to work. It really does depend on where s/he wants to be.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:53 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Woburn center has a large Indian grocery and a number of Indian takeout restaurants.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:02 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,047,572 times
There's also one market/grocery in Chelmsford, one in nearby Tyngsboro, four in neighboring Lowell, and two right on Moody St., in Waltham. The OP will have plenty of options.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
You're looking at a fairly large area. This puts you north of Rte. 20, east and south of I-495, north and west of I-95/Rte.128 and west of I-93. You'll need to increase your budget by a few hundred to get better rental options, however. $1000 might get you a studio or single bedroom.

I will forewarn your commutes may not be easy. Your friend would have to face I-495 (which is a pain during rush hour), but you'll also face Rte. 3/Rte.128, or I-495/I-93 (and possibly even the Rte.128/I-93 interchange, either way, depending on where your job is located in Woburn). If you're not used to multiple interchanges, experiencing "bottlenecks" will not be fun. However, if you still want to consider Chelmsford and Westford, keep in mind they're fairly suburban communities that are generally more family oriented. Lowell is the city nearby which will provide some more action (and college students & grads) and some good eats downtown; but note it can also be sketchy. Just be aware. There's also a commuter rail station in Lowell to Boston, if you ever want to visit the bigger City.

This next suggestion is a bit of a stretch, but if you and your friend can increase your budget (800-1000 for each of you for a 2 bedroom; or possibly split a three bedroom with another roommate), I'd strongly consider Waltham, which will have more young professionals & college grads, plus the amenities you seek in the City if not close by (stores, restaurants, etc). Not to mention it's closer to Boston, if you ever want to visit. Moody St. is a good restaurant hotspot downtown. Your friend may have back roads (mostly Rte 20), or I-90 (with tolls), but he'll be traveling opposite most of the traffic (west, instead of east, toward Boston). Meanwhile, you'll have Rte. 128 to contend with, (and will have to pass another busy interchange with Rte. 2), but Woburn and Waltham are only a couple towns apart distance-wise, and one can take back roads to the other. If this isn't feasible, it's still worth a visit when you move to the area.
Hello LexWest,

Thank you very much for your detailed response.

Yes, I am willing to stretch my budget. I am willing to commute via metro transit if I am staying alone. Lowell seem's to be a good option. But there are only two stops there. Apartments are fairly away from it, at least when I search online.

What about Burlington!? But commuting via public transport would not be a good option form this place I believe.

I look forward to your response.

Thank you,
Puneeth

Old 05-18-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Woburn center has a large Indian grocery and a number of Indian takeout restaurants.
Thank you for your response.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Waltham is a good idea for both. OP did say s/he doesn't care about restaurants because likes to cook, so I think an Indian grocery would be more important than restaurants (although I think of the presence of restaurants as a sign that a grocery is available).

If living alone, I think OP would be fine in Woburn, especially on the Winchester line. S/he didn't say anything about night life or culture, so I think a safe and nearby suburb would be fine. I'd look at a good map and see what suburbs are convenient and south or east of Woburn if looking a little further afield. Assuming OP works normal business hours, that would have OP going opposite rush hour traffic and still be convenient to work. It really does depend on where s/he wants to be.
Yes I do work on normal business hours. If I would prefer using the metro train service. Which places would you suggest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts