Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 08:41 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times

Advertisements

Mass. seems to have the better options for nursing schools then CT. Was originally thinking of going for my LPN here and move across the border to take nursing classes there. I see a lot of part time program's available which I like as can work while going to school.

Thinking of the Salem area, but under Boston near Bridgewater seems to be a lot of part time programs. Any feedback on the programs?

Any LPNs working in Mass? I am debating to skip the LPN route go straight into the ADN program. I work as a mental health counselor now. I have my CNA certificate as well and probably going for my EMT cert. Also have a bachelor's degree. Curious on how the hospital job marker is there? I pulled out a few years back working with the state and adolescents. Any feedback on mental health facilities in the area? I know Belmont has a good one.

Appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 07:44 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
As much as I think making more money ASAP is a good thing, I think you should skip the LPN route and get an RN. There are the bachelor-to-master's programs, like Mass General's program, where you have to have a non-nursing bachelor's and come out an RN and MSN/NP, but they're expensive. I think the ADN is the way to go.

McLean Hospital is the big place in Belmont you're thinking of. It's part of Partners/MGH/etc. and is reportedly a very very good psych hospital, some 160 beds and growing (after downsizing in the 1990s). There are other systems that I've not heard such good things about. Many general hospitals have a psych unit or two, and that is the way to go for financial gain- you get paid the rate of the med-surg nurses. The big downtown hospitals will likely require a degree beyond ADN. There are so many BSNs graduating around the Boston area, that places can require or at least prefer a BSN. I don't think degrees in anything else count for much, although obviously psych-related degrees should.

I know Salem State has a BSN program. If your other college credits aren't too old, you maybe could transfer more directly into the upper years of a BSN. That might be a good way to go. The ADN programs, I think, have waiting lists and often require a chem course or some other prereq before you can even apply to the ADN itself.

I don't know much about central/western Mass. for nursing education. But I do think most places other than nursing homes are phasing out LPNs or have already done so. If you're interested in psychiatric, I think LPN would be the wrong way to go. Best wishes.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:54 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Based on my wife's lucrative career I suggest a BSN (USC). A couple years working in the field then on to an MSN (BU) and into management type positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts