Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 8,563 times

Advertisements

Hi! I will be moving to the Springfield area within the next 60 days and I need to find a nice place to live within 30 min. of Baystate hospital in Springfield, MA. I have read that Springfield is definitely not a great place to live and I am not familiar with the area at all.

I am a single, young professional. I’m looking for nice area that has a decent nightlife and plenty of activates to do in that area. Some kind of modernized, downtown type area with loft type living would be ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 03:30 PM

439 posts, read 721,278 times
You might try the following towns; Westfield, Longmeadow and East Longmeadow, Ludlow, Wilbraham, Easthampton. Granby, and Southampton.

About 35 40 minutes from Springfield is Northampton, which has a great nightlife for younger professionals. It has a great Main St and downtown - the town has a great deal of charm. Lots of cafes, coffee houses, ethnic restaurants, jazz and folk clubs and a great arts and theater scene.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:26 PM

8 posts, read 43,634 times
yeap Northampton is best place to be alot nightlife

Old 11-10-2006, 04:34 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolachen View Post
yeap Northampton is best place to be alot nightlife
Nightlife in MA? I thought most of the towns are asleep by 9pm. Can we have some examples please?

Old 11-10-2006, 05:09 PM

8 posts, read 43,634 times
compare to springfield, longmeadow, east longmeadow, agawam etc. northampton is a more nightlife city. it is in the centre of 5 colleges. more shops, cafes, resturants, etc. as compare to springfield...springfield is a big city but it has alot crimes... specially in the X area alot shoting.....

Springfield (big city but alot crime) lived 2yrs
Chicopee (quite city, alot seniors) lived 5yrs
Westfield (still undevelop city not much going on except on north main st) lived 1 year
West Springfield ( best part is Rt 5 alot shopping plaza and stores)
Holyoke (only thing is good about it i would say is the Holyoke Mall the biggest mall in the area)
East longmeadow (is a nice and good community and good school thats the place if you have family)
Longmeadow (nice but housing is kinda expensive, jews community)

hope those info. will help you to decide.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:45 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times
I used to work at Baystate, up on 6B..

From Ware to work was 35 minutes..so in your range are towns like Belchertown, Agawam, Granby, South Hadley, Easthampton, Southwick, Palmer, I think you might get away with Amherst - most areas that is..same with Hadley

Are you a nurse?

Oh I reread your post - Amherst, Northampton, Belchertown are more up your alley..Possibly South Hadley.

be weary of Springfield.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:41 AM

79 posts, read 396,143 times
Default Stay North...

Your best way into and out of Baystate is to live North of Springfield. You can hop on 91, and be in 'Hamp in 20 minutes. Living east, or even south of the city can lead to a sometimes tedious commute. Even west is not good (Agawam, Southwick, etc,) due to having to cross the river on the Rte 5 bridge.(major backup at rush hour) You'll like the Northampton area. Some wierd people, but not much real crime, and not a lot of losers. Holyoke, Chicopee, some parts of West Springfield, and Springfield are not places you are gonna want to hang around after work. Not that this has anything to do with your question, but I just heard the Hooters in Springfield is closing.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:58 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Jumping in as a former commuter from Hampshire County (Williamsburg, MA) to Springfield every day, I found it a good, no the best alternative for me. I could take the highway, or one of two back roads early in the AM, and still make it to work (farther south than Bay State's exit) in less than 35 minutes.

And while Northampton isn't Boston, there is night-life, several movie theatres, some fascinating performances at one of the colleges, lively cafes, good restaurants, some good art, shopping and easy access to Boston, NYC, and nearby Hartford (the closest airport).

Any town along the corridor might work from Easthampton up, and each has its own personality. Williamsburg has a great foodstore, one of the best libraries in the State, and the friendliest Post Office workers--just to name a few highs, while other towns in the area have their bests. Easthampton has really turned into quite a great place to live and one of the old mills is now a restaurant, gallery and string of restaurants (a little closer to Springfield, and perhaps, more affordable).

Old 11-13-2006, 09:30 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times
Most healthcare workers don't have the typical commuting hours others do so it depends...sometimes it is worth it to hop on 90, go down 291 to Chestnut street to get to Baystate and avoid that lower bridge alltogether. (if commuting from Westfield)

Old 11-15-2006, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 15,341 times
Default easthampton

the way to go is easthampton it's quiet and rural but on main cottage and union st. it is like a city. Its very close to Springfield and Northampton but Northampton however popular it is is kinda weird. All the people there are ***** and walk the streets up and down all day. LOTS OF BUMS ASKING FOR CHANGE. I saw a guy on Main St. with roller skates a black leather skirt and a pink tank top with hair down to his shoulders. This was a man. So I would go easthampton cuz close to it all and quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts