U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 08:42 PM

4,921 posts, read 5,969,226 times

Advertisements

My college roommate at Boston University for undergrad was from Wellesley, MA. That is one my fav cities I ever been to, its super nice and has a great feel to it with some stores, a couple of colleges in it and a sense community and pride that is different from most upper middle class suburbs I have been to in America. Wellesley is not rural like Weston and Dover towns that have a lot of sprawling mansions with more land and more privacy. Wellesley has mansions but it you don't have to be insanely rich to live in the town like Weston and I believe the most educated city in the USA for its size, having 66 percent of the population with at least a Masters or professional degree. It is not that diverse but it has a sizable Jewish and Asian population, its the type of town I wish I grew up in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 09:22 PM

8,099 posts, read 12,564,595 times
All of the towns everyone has mentioned are great places to live Wellesley, Needham, Dover, Weston, etc., etc., etc. They're all a little different but all have very good to excellent schools. The two really big questions that need to be answered are:

1. What is your housing budget?

2. What is your expectation for your new house? (i.e. how big, how new, how many bedrooms, etc.)

Housing in the Boston area is wildly different from Seattle (I've helped a few people relocate from your area). We don't have large developments with an A, B, or C floorplan to choose from.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:47 AM

805 posts, read 866,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
People who already own houses there (and probably bought when the price was half of what it is today) may be able to do it, but people buying into these towns new will struggle.
Exactly. Same can be said for parts of the city of Boston. Love seeing these old timers sell their triple deckers they bought in Southie back in the 70s or 80s for like 65k, now worth 700K-900K. Cha ching!!

Old 06-02-2015, 07:49 AM

295 posts, read 286,350 times
this forum seems to get off track sometimes when making assumptions on income, like the default assumption is someone who is upper class bracket, or worse yet, as if income is not a factor. When is income not a factor for the 95 out of 100 of us? From what Ive read in MA middle class household income is around 45k to 135k. that means the upper limit of that range looks to be able to "afford" a home for like 600k not including any repairs or updates to new home. Perhaps making recommendations on undisclosed incomes based off of that income level may be more realistic for the MAJORITY of us. Granted OP is looking in wellesley so may not apply here but this happens way too often. Theres like a mention of Needham every other post as if its an oasis in the middle of a desert.

Last edited by Steephill2; 06-02-2015 at 08:01 AM..

Old 06-02-2015, 07:56 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,012,474 times
yeah i feel like anytime i come to this forum people are telling people to look for homes in Needham, Wellesley, winchester as if everyone can afford to live there.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:00 AM

9,021 posts, read 14,029,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
yeah i feel like anytime i come to this forum people are telling people to look for homes in Needham, Wellesley, winchester as if everyone can afford to live there.
OP said she was looking in Wellesley, Dover, Sherborn & Medfield. Nobody on this forum pushed her in that direction.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:04 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,012,474 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
OP said she was looking in Wellesley, Dover, Sherborn & Medfield. Nobody on this forum pushed her in that direction.
Right, I'm not just referring to this thread.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:22 AM

4,657 posts, read 6,131,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
this forum seems to get off track sometimes when making assumptions on income, like the default assumption is someone who is upper class bracket, or worse yet, as if income is not a factor. When is income not a factor for the 95 out of 100 of us? From what Ive read in MA middle class household income is around 45k to 135k. that means the upper limit of that range looks to be able to "afford" a home for like 600k not including any repairs or updates to new home. Perhaps making recommendations on undisclosed incomes based off of that income level may be more realistic for the MAJORITY of us. Granted OP is looking in wellesley so may not apply here but this happens way too often. Theres like a mention of Needham every other post as if its an oasis in the middle of a desert.
I don't think that's really the case. Unless the budget is specified the first question is almost always "what is the budget?". When someone asks about a list of super expensive town and doesn't mention a budget there are lots of "you must have a high budget to consider those towns". That's basically what happened in this thread. I remember a recent thread where someone literally said "money isn't a factor" and even then people convinced the OP that their budget really wasn't infinite.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:39 AM

553 posts, read 674,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Right, I'm not just referring to this thread.
Alot of people come on and ask for advice without giving any background. if you ask for best school period, those towns will get mentioned. if you don't drop a qualified of $350K budget or commute to Providence, then you will get Boston centric with no limit.

what else would you expect? don't blame the advice givers if the requests are vague.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:01 AM

295 posts, read 286,350 times
i really hope the day jobs of many of us here are not doctors. also seems like there may be a need for some sort of hybrid financial consultant/real estate agent to help people determine affordability. great recession made that pretty clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts