U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:09 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,103,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
i really hope the day jobs of many of us here are not doctors.
Nope, finance here (which I purposely keep vague since incomes can range anywhere from $50k to $500k and up for finance). And I agree with what Jayrandom said above. No one is mentioning Wellesley unless the OP hinted at being able to afford it. If no budget is specified, but OP wants the best schools then the usual towns with the "best schools" will get tossed into the conversation. Most people with low budgets know their budget is low and will throw out a requirement of say, $400k max. Then we will start suggesting towns along I-495 with good schools, but also warn the OP about 1.5 hour commutes. I don't see what the problem is here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 09:27 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,012,474 times
'what else would you expect? don't blame the advice givers if the requests are vague.'

well it gets boring seeing the same towns listed over and over.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:48 AM

295 posts, read 286,350 times
i guess my problem is too many assumptions are made sometimes, but this is obviously a web forum so people are free to dispense their opinions. I also find myself to do the same.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:52 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,103,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
'what else would you expect? don't blame the advice givers if the requests are vague.'

True, but there are only so many towns with top schools right? The list doesn't change much from year to year. The discussions you see on the forums are driven by what people post. And new members post the same question every week. "We are a family with 2 young children moving here for a job in Kendall Square. What are the towns with the best schools with a commute under 45 minutes?" Then reality hits and they realize the $150k salary they are relocating here for doesn't buy them a house in a top school district along 128 LOL.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:54 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,319,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
True, but there are only so many towns with top schools right? The list doesn't change much from year to year. The discussions you see on the forums are driven by what people post. And new members post the same question every week. "We are a family with 2 young children moving here for a job in Kendall Square. What are the towns with the best schools with a commute under 45 minutes?" Then reality hits and they realize the $150k salary they are relocating here for doesn't buy them a house in a top school district along 128 LOL.
This pretty much sums it up. 60-70% of Eastern MA is automatically disqualified by most people on this forum because of schools or distance from Boston.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:00 AM

553 posts, read 674,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post

What are you expecting, some radical new location that no one new existed before?

There are X number of towns within 128 and X -Y that are "great" school districts. there is a finite list. of course its boring seeing the same list again and again. but that is reality.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:21 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,013,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
What are you expecting, some radical new location that no one new existed before?

There are X number of towns within 128 and X -Y that are "great" school districts. there is a finite list. of course its boring seeing the same list again and again. but that is reality.
Amen. Wouldn't say it much better myself.

I think that it is important not to pry, to be truthful, and treat people who ask for guidance as adults able to decide what is best for them. There is too much unnecessary, distracting debates, and petty prejudice.

This is not competition for the most popular answer of the day. Eastern MA is tiny, and options are pretty limited especially with high COL, and commute issues.

OP doesn't have to contribute more than they are comfortable with. Help if you can, and move on.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:43 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,012,474 times
'What are you expecting, some radical new location that no one new existed before? '

that'd be less boring

Old 06-02-2015, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,242 times
I'm impressed with all the helpful replies! Thank you so much for everyone who chimed in and gave their opinions. Sorry it was vague to a lot of posters. We were in Boston a week ago and toured some of the neighborhoods (as good as you can do with 2 little ones). I've done a lot of research on the areas and houses (so, no, I wouldn't ask for a rating of those areas not knowing what houses cost there, how they look, in what shape they are in, etc.) but couldn't get much info on the different schools until it was clearly stated here that school systems are governed by the town and not by the county/state.

Also, apologies if similar topics have been discussed here before. A lot of similar posts refer to public transportation, town restaurants/nightlife/shopping, all I need is a place to go for a coffee or a treat and for the rest I'm happy to drive everywhere else. I'd rather have a nice community, hiking, outdoor activities in 'walkable' distance so I felt like it was legitimate to ask for an advise.

Again, thanks to all of you for the valuable info!

Old 06-02-2015, 07:54 PM

3,519 posts, read 6,730,107 times
Still didn't give any insight in to budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts