Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,379 times

Advertisements

Hi,
This is my first thread on this forum but I was a reader here for many years. My family (husband and two boys, 5 and 2) are currently in an amazing neighborhood in Seattle. It's a little community with a private pool, tennis court, playgrounds, trails, hiking, beach access, and a great school (rating 10, small, high PTO, advanced learning option, etc). My husband got a job offer in Norwood, MA and we went to Boston last week to check out the area but I'm still not sure where to live. Is there any neighborhood that might offer similar amenities? I've heard a lot about the good school system and not so good school system and not sure what that means. Does every school have it's own system? I really hope someone could clarify.
I'm currently a stay at home mom but also work from home. It would be nice if we could again find a neighborhood where kids could play with other kids, I could chat a few sentences with neighbors. That's about the social interaction I need per day :-). I realized that a lot of the lots are huge so you don't just simply walk down the street to see your neighbors/friends but maybe we weren't looking in the right neighborhood.
I might go back to work next year so I'd prefer to not go too far outside of Boston as I don't know where I might end up working.
Any thoughts, ideas, would be greatly appreciated. Currently I'm looking at Wellesley, Dover, maybe Sherborn, Midfield but open to other areas. School is a top priority. We don't need an enormous house or a huge lot. A relatively short commute for my husband would be great too.
Thanks!
Silvia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 11:27 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
'currently in an amazing neighborhood in Seattle'

Why are you leaving? Did your husband get that amazing of an offer here?

'Currently I'm looking at Wellesley, Dover, maybe Sherborn'

These are basically the most expensive places in MA to live. What is your budget?

Old 06-01-2015, 11:58 AM

816 posts, read 994,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvibins View Post
Hi,
Currently I'm looking at Wellesley, Dover, maybe Sherborn, Midfield but open to other areas. School is a top priority. We don't need an enormous house or a huge lot. A relatively short commute for my husband
All those areas have excellent public schools and the commute wouldn't be bad for your husband. Be prepared to spend tons of $$$ on a house in those areas though, even for a smaller house and/or lot.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:14 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
I think Medfield, Dover and Sherborn might be too woodsy for you based on your post. Wellesley or Needham would be perfect if you can afford it. For a move-in ready (not updated) starter home in a nice family neighborhood I'd say you need about $800k in Wellesley and maybe $700k for Needham. MikePRU might be able to give you better estimates of current pricing. I wouldn't be surprised if he chimes in and says to add $100k in this year's market. I'd concentrate on those 2 suburbs because they are very good commuting towns. When you are ready to look for a job, you'll have an easier time finding something with a short commute living in those 2 towns vs. Medfield or Sherborn.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:26 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Coming from Seattle you would get somewhat similar vibes in Arlington, Brookline, Cambridge, Belmont, and Newton.

Now, realistically commute is better from towns like Needham, Westwood, possibly Natick. Wellesley, Sherborn, Dover are also good choices although last two probably too country/rural for you (they are for me too). Needham, Natick Wellesley could all work well depending on your budget. Natick, Wellesley, and Needham are both pretty walkable. Westwood is more typical suburban type of place that requires car for majority of errands.

If you do not want to live in your car do not go toward Westwood, Dover, Sherborn etc. Sherborn does have great pond for residents, that could offset your old pool community perhaps. But, lots are pretty big, and it could be lonely there for someone without any roots in MA at first.

I would definitely urge you to check parts of Newton as well, and see if they would have vibe you are looking for. Commute would not be ideal as some other places, although still doable, but you could get more energetic, urbane, cosmopolitan community, as well as excellent schools, if that is what you are looking for right now.

Wellesley is very refined and posh, and honestly, it could be great compromise on commute for husband, amenities for you, and great schools for kids. It is very sought after place. Needham is similar, but little bit cheaper. Natick is on the upswing, and has great town center area. You might find it interesting.

All towns mentioned have good schools and are safe family oriented towns. Most have town pools, or neighboring town pools, tennis courts, playgrounds, ice skating, hiking trails etc...We have numerous ponds, Cape Cod, and ocean beaches north and south of Boston. Plus you get NYC, NH, VT. ME all very close by. Here is rare to find private closed off communities that cater to families. Ma is still very democratic, and very old state with old towns, and old housing stock. There is so much history at every step.

We have town government type of governing, unlike counties in other states, and most towns have their own schools. Very rarely towns can be regionalized with other town school district, but in general every town for itself. In better school district overall achievement is high, and teachers can cover more advanced topics, so it is always advisable to look for the best public schools your money can "buy". Overall, schools will be very good here, even in lower preforming schools districts, compared with rest of the US.

In the end, your budget will determine where could you go. Drive through some of these areas, and see what speaks to you. I do not think you will be finding exactly what you have left in Seattle, but there will be many similarities, as well as different perks here you will grow to love.

Make sure that you do have an option for public transit nearby if you need to go to Boston for work in the near future.

Good luck.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:51 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Sil

Unless your husband has to leave his present job and unless he will be making over $100K (closer to $120K), you might consider not relocating especially as you seem to like your present life style. I believe you will find greater Boston to be more of a "rat race" then where you presently reside.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:01 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Sil

Unless your husband has to leave his present job and unless he will be making over $100K (closer to $120K), you might consider not relocating especially as you seem to like your present life style. I believe you will find greater Boston to be more of a "rat race" then where you presently reside.
I'd say double or triple that salary (at a min) - I don't think someone with an income of 100-120K can comfortably buy a decent house and support a family in most of the towns mentioned above. People who already own houses there (and probably bought when the price was half of what it is today) may be able to do it, but people buying into these towns new will struggle.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:46 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Sil

LOL, when did you move out of MA again? I agree with mmyk72. IMO a young family without a big family inheritance will need to earn a minimum of $250-300k nowadays just to get their foot in the door in Wellesley. The average household income once you take into consideration all sources of income (not just W-2 wages) is around $400k (source: IRS datacharts).

Old 06-01-2015, 02:14 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
Westwood has the Hale Reservation, a membership park with supervised swimming, summer activities for kids, hiking, etc. Not as expensive I guess as Wellesley and Needham, but no slouch. Excellent schools. Next to Norwood. Has some neighborhoods with not so huge lots. Dover and Sherborn are more consistently large lot territory. Medfield has more of a walkable center with neighborly streets than those two. Medfield is very nice but not so easy to get into Boston as from Westwood, Wellesley, Needham. Or Norwood, for that matter.

School districts are by town, as kingeorge pointed out.

Last edited by missionhill; 06-01-2015 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 08:26 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Given the towns you've mentioned and budget you haven't, I'm thinking you're budget is comfortably in the $1m range. If not, there are plenty of options in more affordable towns that will still have good to great schools.

If you can afford it Wellesley might be what you're looking for in terms of top of the top schools. Dover has excellent schools as well but is pseudo-rural. Needham is a nice town with great schools and a good town center which might be a good option to consider. It's more affordable than Wellesley but not hugely so. Westwood is a good option as well, with a lower entry price than Needham. There are parts of Westwood where you would live in your car, but other parts where you could get by without one. Public transit to Boston is good from Wellesley, Needham, and Westwood (for driving the order would be Wellesley, Needham, Westwood).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts