Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 07:11 AM

295 posts, read 317,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The reality is the children of affluent, educated parents who are engaged with the whole process will probably turn out just fine attending schools that Zillows rates as a 5 or 6. That brings pretty much any suburb into play.
Here's an idea. Make all MA schools open enrollment. So someone living in one city can chiose to goto the school of another town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 07:14 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
Here's an idea. Make all MA schools open enrollment. So someone living in one city can chiose to goto the school of another town.
This is what should happen but it never will because the people who bought their $1 million houses have the means to fight any such measure to protect their investment.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:37 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
Another thing that is kind of ridiculous is that a lot of people that live in these affluent towns send their kids to private high school. We have friends in needham who send their 5 year old to a kindergarten that is 20k something a year. I guess many people have money to burn but it does stink for people who genuinely want to live in those towns for the schools but cant find anything. Another friend lives in Hingham and he noticed a lot of people use private schools there as well and he was like, don't we pay enough to live here?

Old 06-10-2015, 07:40 AM

560 posts, read 751,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
This is what should happen but it never will because the people who bought their $1 million houses have the means to fight any such measure to protect their investment.
logistical nightmare. how will they get funded, transportation, etc.

and selfishly, I'm not paying my nosebleed tax rate so someone from xyz city can ship their kids to school here. they can buy my house when my kids leave high school.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:47 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Live below your means and within your needs. That means, even if you can afford a home within 128, ask yourself if you NEED that house first.
Many are trying to avoid a long commute time, whether it's due the distance or time spent in rush hour traffic. Eastern MA is a victim of Boston's strong job market and also the top universities which attract the wealthy foreign students.

I do think that there are occasional decent buys in the current market if the buyer is willing to buy a fixer-upper. As to having a decent sized down payment, it's a matter of pooling the money with family members or in a business arrangement.

From what I've seen, Asians are good about a real estate purchase being a multi-generational family effort. A whole family will buy a multi-family unit and occupy all of it. And the two-family next door to me was bought by a man with a used car lot, and his sons helped with renovating it.

My boyfriend has a friend who buys real estate that he fixes up and then flips. So that goes back to being willing to fix up a house instead of looking at places that are in perfect condition or are new construction.

And imo with condos, they just aren't worth buying because of all the condo fees associated with them.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:52 AM

295 posts, read 317,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Many are trying to avoid a long commute time, whether it's due the distance or time spent in rush hour traffic. Eastern MA is a victim of Boston's strong job market and also the top universities which attract the wealthy foreign students.

I do think that there are occasional decent buys in the current market if the buyer is willing to buy a fixer-upper. As to having a decent sized down payment, it's a matter of pooling the money with family members or in a business arrangement.

From what I've seen, Asians are good about a real estate purchase being a multi-generational family effort. A whole family will buy a multi-family unit and occupy all of it. And the two-family next door to me was bought by a man with a used car lot, and his sons helped with renovating it.

My boyfriend has a friend who buys real estate that he fixes up and then flips. So that goes back to being willing to fix up a house instead of looking at places that are in perfect condition or are new construction.

And imo with condos, they just aren't worth buying because of all the condo fees associated with them.
condo fees rarely if ever go down. Dont forget special assessments as well. these are the ones that really surprise people. Thats why reviewing condo associations and its numbers before buying is very important. But with the market now, anything goes. Or buy now, worry later. That nice pool and tennis court you use once a year maybbe costing you more than you think.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:01 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It depends.

I'm in a condo now. Even though my fees are high, my mortgage/taxes/etc is low enough that with the condo fees, i'm paying less than what I could rent the place out. My neighbor rents the same size unit that I own (basically a mirror unit) and pays more in rent alone than my total expenses combined. (mortgage, condo fees, sewer, gas, electric).

Condo fees do go up though, and the special assessments scare me. They kinda played into my decision to sell the place and go for a SFH.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:10 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
'and selfishly, I'm not paying my nosebleed tax rate so someone from xyz city can ship their kids to school here. they can buy my house when my kids leave high school.'

yeah that would never work. In Boston itself you can't even decide to send your kids to whichever boston school you feel like. Maybe their should be some type of program like a statewide lottery. THe problem is anyone with a clue would want to send their kids to the best of the bunch. Sadly some parents in boston or other not great areas in MA probably dont care where their kids go to school.

That being said, I think people in this state put a little too much emphasis on the best public schools. At the end of the day if you care so much about a kids education and where they go, to me it makes more sense to send them to a private school rather than go through this ridiculousness of scrambling to find a house somewhere in this market.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:53 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
Have you considered what the cost of school bus transportation would be under this scenario?

Old 06-10-2015, 08:56 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Another thing that is kind of ridiculous is that a lot of people that live in these affluent towns send their kids to private high school. We have friends in needham who send their 5 year old to a kindergarten that is 20k something a year. I guess many people have money to burn but it does stink for people who genuinely want to live in those towns for the schools but cant find anything. Another friend lives in Hingham and he noticed a lot of people use private schools there as well and he was like, don't we pay enough to live here?
If someone lives in an affluent town and wants to send their child to private school and has the means to do it, that is their business. The homeowner is still paying taxes to support the public school that their child does not attend. From the town's perspective, that's a plus on the balance sheet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts