Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 02:30 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,821,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
If you've already done an exhaustive search and didn't find any affordable towns, I don't think a new hidden town is suddenly going to appear on your radar. You have many options, but each of them will be a compromise of sorts:
1) Find new jobs further out in the suburbs
2) Buy a house further out and deal with a longer commute
3) Buy a 2-bedroom condo and have 2 kids share 1 bedroom
4) Buy in a town that's not looked highly upon by the people here on C-D, but you have to make the best of what you've got
5) Move out of MA
I'll add another option I've seen people take:
6) Buy a cheaper house in the town you want to be in and deal with the negatives: These houses are priced low because they either need a lot of renov work, located on the busiest intersection you can imagine, very tiny and set on an atypical lot that makes the yard useless (often multiple conditions are true).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 02:34 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,612 times
Yeah i figured Canton was better than Weymouth. Canton has very nice homes.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:35 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,612 times
'Buy a cheaper house in the town you want to be in and deal with the negatives: These houses are priced low because they either need a lot of renov work, located on the busiest intersection you can imagine, very tiny and set on an atypical lot that makes the yard useless (often multiple conditions are true).'

I think this is what most people are trying to do these days but these said houses just arent there or there are lots of offers then the price goes up on the said house.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:54 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,821,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
'Buy a cheaper house in the town you want to be in and deal with the negatives: These houses are priced low because they either need a lot of renov work, located on the busiest intersection you can imagine, very tiny and set on an atypical lot that makes the yard useless (often multiple conditions are true).'

I think this is what most people are trying to do these days but these said houses just arent there or there are lots of offers then the price goes up on the said house.
Actually, these are houses on the MLS listing that seem to never go away, unlike the 'good' houses that goes under contract within the first day of listing. They may not be 'cheap' but comparatively lower priced than those hot houses.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:12 PM

132 posts, read 182,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Actually, these are houses on the MLS listing that seem to never go away, unlike the 'good' houses that goes under contract within the first day of listing. They may not be 'cheap' but comparatively lower priced than those hot houses.
These houses may need serious work - structural, not cosmetic - and may not be the bargains they appear to be.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:55 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeps2002 View Post
What if I expand to say, I'm ok with a door to door commuter rail of around an hour? Thinking something like Tewksbury may work?
This opens up a lot of options. Back Bay is super convenient for the commuter rail from the southwest and west, maybe even more convenient than from Walthsm. You could look at Walpole, maybe Canton, or even Sharon or Westwood if you're ok with something smaller. If you could make Natick or Waltham work on your budget those could be good options.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:16 PM

187 posts, read 217,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
A nice condo in Natick or Framingham seems like a reasonable compromise with a budget of only $400K.
Natick is out of budget but Framingham seems like a good compromise, or Waltham

Old 06-02-2015, 07:18 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I'll add another option I've seen people take:
6) Buy a cheaper house in the town you want to be in and deal with the negatives: These houses are priced low because they either need a lot of renov work, located on the busiest intersection you can imagine, very tiny and set on an atypical lot that makes the yard useless (often multiple conditions are true).
Like that house on the corner of Rt-27 and Bacon that you can practically touch when you stick your hand out the window? I know you know which one I'm talking about

Old 06-02-2015, 07:38 PM

295 posts, read 316,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
Saugus' school system is a disaster. town is broke despite Rt. 1. political mess.
you could do much worse than waybright elementery in saugus or reeves in woburn. not sure about the middle or high schools but you could always decide later to move then or not

Old 06-02-2015, 09:25 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Meeps

Try a simple experiment. Get a map of greater Boston (say 50mi out). Draw a 30mi circle centered on where you work. Draw a 30mi circle centered on where she works. See where they overlap. Consider she will not be able to take public transportation and you might be able to. Consider commuting traffic patterns. Consider area cost, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts