Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 04:55 AM

374 posts, read 655,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
But rates are high there too unless you want to live on Main or Montello. And you don't. Brockton can be great near the town line of Easton and Bridgewater. And they have a surprisingly good school system.

The cheaper towns have little highway access. Not sure if these are Norfolk or Plymouth but here are some worth looking into: Whitman, Pembroke, Rockland, Abington, Hanson, Halifax, East Bridgewater, Middleboro, Carver, Wareham . . . . .

Honestly, if you find a 3 bedroom ANYWHERE not in central or western MA then you hit the jackpot.
Weymouth - high prices for poor selection in areas, issues in schools, drug usage, traffic, lack of train access, on Route 3

Abington - worse of the level 2 rated school systems in the area south of Weymouth, school building issues, rising property taxes, lack of sufficient open space, lingering issues with the town and train, stuck on Route 18 to Route 3, recurring issues of blight with commercial storefront staying vacant for 10 years or more at a time

Whitman - stable school system, housing small, hard highway access, commuter rail, lower property taxes

Hanson - stable school system, housing extremely overpriced, hard highway access, commuter rail

Pembroke - stable school system, housing priced as better value versus some of the Hanson, high prices,
Can be far from the train(20 mins), on Route 3

Carver - high priced housing, too far from Boston, on Route 3, too far from train

East Bridgewater - school system has failed to stay within budget. They actually spend more money than possible. Serious problems to occur within the next 3 years; stay away. Train access is inconvenient and far

Middleboro - high priced housing, too far from Boston. Highway access can be far.

Rockland - stuck on Route 3, improving school system, issues with certain roads, road network improving, poor housing stock for selection, higher taxes.

Stoughton - school system in poor shape

Wareham - Too far from Boston. Located more towards Route 3. No Train

West Bridgewater - high taxes, new school building issues, limited selection in housing stock, unbelievable traffic on 106 in the morning

I should mention that most of Brockton's elementary schools are brand new. One of the newest had been constructed on North Quincy Street. Almost none of the aforementioned towns have built a new elementary school within the last 20 years. Some have reshuffled students from one building to another whiling creating a new school name.

Last edited by n1ey; 06-16-2015 at 05:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 05:29 PM

5 posts, read 9,253 times
I'm in the same 'boat'. My wife and I want to buy in the Carver, Plymouth area and we are living in NH and homes where we are living are much cheaper, but when I look In Mass (I'm originally from Cambridge) most of the homes are out of my price range and the ones that are in my range need major work. It appears I have to start at near the $250,000 dollar range to find a home that is livable and then once in that range house taxes are very high!

My suggestion to you is to contact a real estate agent for a rental, if you're paying $1500 dollars a good real estate agent may be able to find something for you to rent. Best wishes, brother it's no fun when you live out of state with a family and your looking for housing in New England!

Old 04-30-2018, 11:26 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Even in Springfield you aren't going to get a three bedroom or even two at $1000 a month. Sorry.

I have a relative that might be moving to Middleboro. He found a floor of a house for $1,000. I rather check with him though if he's going there. if not maybe I can share.

In all due respects Brockton isn't *THAT* bad. The western parts have some houses that look like Chicago suburbs. It's a pretty political city though as some issues are divisive. I'm not saying it has a ton of things but the park has huge potential, it has 3 commuter rail stops and a bus to Boston. Their schools aren't perfect but given what they have they do a great job. Generally I think the mayor does an OK job although he doesn't communicate it well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts