Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 01:16 PM

6 posts, read 12,679 times

Advertisements

Hello - Could someone tell me about some nice, family-friendly neighborhoods/streets to check out in Acton and Westford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 07:20 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Materlova View Post
Hello - Could someone tell me about some nice, family-friendly neighborhoods/streets to check out in Acton and Westford?
Both towns are largely comprised of upper-middle class/white collar families who live there largely for access to the highly ranked school systems. Because of this, the towns are holistically "family friendly". Stick to the standard drive-by to feel out the neighborhood.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:48 PM

248 posts, read 342,906 times
I don't know Acton very well, but I've lived in Westford for 15 years. Both are, as Shrewsburried says, "family friendly" in that the schools are very good, there are lots of young families, things to do with kids, etc...

What are you looking for? Do you want kids to be able to walk and ride bikes down the street to see their friends? Get to a playground without getting out the car? In Westford, at least, some areas do not lend themselves to that, as there are no sidewalks and the roads are narrow with some fast moving traffic cutting through to commute from NH.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:09 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
The area around the library in Acton is really lovely. Most of the streets in that area have sidewalks. The library has a new nice playground for parents and small children. The Acton Arboretum is a few blocks away. There is also a small pizza parlor next to the town hall and library for pizza days. You probably need a budget of $600k to $800k to get into this neighborhood.

The Acton section of the Bruce Freeman bicycle trail should be completed by 2016. This will connect the North Acton recreation areas of Nara Park and Veteran's baseball field and the shops on 2A to the town common and make the entire area a bit more cohesive.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKay9 View Post
I don't know Acton very well, but I've lived in Westford for 15 years. Both are, as Shrewsburried says, "family friendly" in that the schools are very good, there are lots of young families, things to do with kids, etc...

What are you looking for? Do you want kids to be able to walk and ride bikes down the street to see their friends? Get to a playground without getting out the car? In Westford, at least, some areas do not lend themselves to that, as there are no sidewalks and the roads are narrow with some fast moving traffic cutting through to commute from NH.
Thank you for your reply, KKay9. This information is helpful. I'm trying to get some specific neighborhood information. For instance, are there specific neighborhoods in the towns that have cul-de-sacs, or are more walkable than others, or that are new and growing? From your response it sounds like Acton is the more walkable of the two.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
The area around the library in Acton is really lovely. Most of the streets in that area have sidewalks. The library has a new nice playground for parents and small children. The Acton Arboretum is a few blocks away. There is also a small pizza parlor next to the town hall and library for pizza days. You probably need a budget of $600k to $800k to get into this neighborhood.

The Acton section of the Bruce Freeman bicycle trail should be completed by 2016. This will connect the North Acton recreation areas of Nara Park and Veteran's baseball field and the shops on 2A to the town common and make the entire area a bit more cohesive.
Thank you! This is great information. I will check out the area that you mentioned. I had also heard at some point that there was a project going on in Acton to build a town center. Is this what you are referring to?

Old 08-08-2015, 06:53 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Materlova View Post
Thank you! This is great information. I will check out the area that you mentioned. I had also heard at some point that there was a project going on in Acton to build a town center. Is this what you are referring to?

There is new development happening in Kelly's Corner, which is the intersection of 27 and 111, and other development happening in West Acton Village.

Here are some of the new businesses coming to West Acton Village.

Business Directory | Villageworks

This is scheduled to take place this fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: