Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should CT be considered New England?
Of course, it always has been. 21 38.89%
What? I always thought it was a region in southeastern New York! So, no. 8 14.81%
The western half and most of southern CT should not be included in New England. 15 27.78%
I do not care. 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:38 AM

548 posts, read 2,097,467 times

Advertisements

I was driving south on I-91 about noon today when a white Cherokee, with CT "acid washed jeans" blue and white plates, blew past me on the right coming on from the entrance ramp. About halfway to Exit 15, before the Holyoke Mall, he pulled in front of me again in a big lurch from the left lane all the way over to the breakdown lane. Great big New York Yankees insignia all over the rear window. CT is part of New York, got that NYC attitude, like 'hey, baboom, getta outta my way.'

Old 05-18-2009, 08:11 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
[quote=teachertype;8817891]
Quote:
What I call that airport up there in Manchester is..."a long way from Boston" and Logan is the Boston area airport, NOT Manchester.
The airport in Manchester, since you refuse to look it up, is called the Manchester/Boston Regional Airport.

Quote:
About Manchester being part of the Boston area for the US Census, etc., I believe the northeast regional office handles all of New England. Saying Manchester is part of the Boston metro area is like saying Greenwich, CT, Ellsworth, ME, and Brattleboro, VT are all part of the Boston metro area (which they very well may be in terms of the northeast regional census).
No it isn't. The methodology they use is the commutability between the cities. In other words can people who live in Manchester be reasonably expected to commute to Boston for work. Apparently the answer is yes.
BTS | 2002 Commodity Flow Survey - Metropolitan Areas - Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-NH CSA (MA Part)

Ellsworth, ME is almost 6 hours away

Quote:
Nothing against Manchester,NH, it's a perfectly fine place but it is NOT in any way part of the Boston metropolitan area. Different state, different area code, different politics, vibes. And, the Boston Metro area, in general, is the 617 area code.
Again, wrong!

http://www.whitepages.com/static/common/maps/BOS.gif (broken link)

Old 05-18-2009, 01:10 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,467 times
If someone were laid off and really desperate for work, I could understand why they might consider a commute from Manchester, NH to Boston. I also see realtors pushing further commutes to sell property further out but I don't believe it's survivable for very long.

It's tough enough to commute from Hingham, Newburyport or Billerica into Boston every day. Manchester to Boston isn't reasonable except for someone who has no family life, no hobbies or social life, and who's essentially living in their car.

And, look on your map...there's Boston, the little red star. Where's Manchester, NH on your map of the metro Boston area? (hint: somewhere very far away, not even on the map).

Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 AM

512 posts, read 1,755,007 times
CT is part of New England, with some folks in denial believing that NY is where they are from. I'm a Enfield native who has mostly lived in NJ for the last 9 years, and find it funny when someone in Eastern Fairfield County says they live near the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts