Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 11:03 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,102,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippin_Jimmy View Post
A little more info... Our budget is 350k. The homes in Westford within our price range are on busy streets with double yellow lines (deal breaker for my wife). We looked at a ranch with a big yard on a quiet street with basketball hoops and bikes all over the street in chelmsford this afternoon.

My mind is pretty much made up at this point, but I am curious to your feedback on having a smaller home on a street that you love versus having a nicer home on a busy street without much of a neighborhood.
Having looked in similar markets to you, I'm aware that most of the properties in Westford at or under $350k seem to have some fairly large caveats (glorified hunting shacks, antiquity without charm, crap location, etc.). A survey of Chelmsford shows some relatively nice, albeit small, homes within your budget. They're not located in the "best" neighborhoods, but still should provide a safe and active community. Chelmsford is certainly more dense than some of the other towns mentioned, which sounds like something you might be seeking. Lots of post-war neighborhoods with smallish lots.

If you're not a believer in seeking the "best" school districts, the Belvedere neighborhood in Lowell offers a truly excellent lifestyle with a low cost of entry. I lived there for only one year but got to know far more neighbors than I had in my dense Boston brownstone or yuppy-ish childhood suburb full of cul-de-sacs. Absolutely great neighbors, zero crime, and a nice social economic mix. The location also provides quick and easy access to the downtown Lowell happenings (Spinners/UMass games, Summer Concert Series, etc.). Do be aware though - Lowell's middle and high schools do not have the best reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 02:50 PM

5 posts, read 10,744 times
We went with chelmsford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts