Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,500 times

Advertisements

Possibly purchasing a house in Grafton MA. Have been looking in Northborough and Shrewsbury, but Grafton seems to fit the budget. No kids yet, but starting a family soon.

How are the schools? Taxes? Amenities? Any dislikes about the town?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 12:22 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
I don't live In Grafton but in Northborough, and I love it. However, as you have noted, it is expensive; I would say that property taxes for an average home are $4-5K. Yet the expense is justified because the area is safe (you can leave your doors unlocked by mistake without incident) and the public schools are really good. Grafton High School is relatively small [for a high school]: 700 students. The building is only 4 years old and is state-of-the-art. Westborough Elementary is supposedly the best in the area, and Westborough was named [in 2014] one of the 10 best towns in America for families by Family Circle. The Fay School is private and is located in the most affluent town in the area, Southborough.

There are lots of amenities in the area--great grocery stores (Wegman's Stop&Shop, Roche Bros.), fitness options, restaurants, etc. There is a gold course in Northborough (Juniper Hill), Natick Mall is 25 minutes away and Hopkinton State Park is 20 minutes away. The area is very neighborly (most people sort of expect you to be friendly and wonder if you don't say 'hello') and family oriented (most people are married and have children), so there isn't a huge dating scene. If you are interested in going to a club, you would most likely have to go into Boston (I don't recommend Worcester).

Grafton is less affluent b/c it is a bit father away from Boston and is still more rural. However, because of its proximity to the more affluent boroughs of Worcester and its lower home prices, it is very up-and-coming. And you are still only 45 minutes from Boston.

The only concern I would have is this recent development in North Grafton:

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/...-terminal.html

Old 07-18-2015, 07:32 PM

63 posts, read 119,635 times
Hi,

I live in South Grafton, we purchased our first home there in May 2014. Like you no kids, but hoping to start a family soon.

We chose Grafton because it was affordable, had the family vibe/small town vibe we like, without being too far from everything.

My wife works for UMASS Boston and takes the T into the city everyday while I work in the Worcester area. When we were looking we looked at Shrewsbury, Northborough, Westborough, Hopkinton, Ashland, Framingham and Natick. 1 Deal fell through for Northborough because the house did not appraise but yes, Northborough is indeed a beautiful town.

So far 1 year later we are happy and overjoy by our house.
-> We were able to get a newer home for our price range
-> We are somewhat rural yes but we are not too far from everything.
-> Convenient to everything we may need
-> Good schools
-> Awesome town

Yes it is not as affluent as Shrewsbury or Northborough or Hopkinton but it is still a pretty sweet town to live in. I do not regret our decision at all.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,500 times
Great thanks for your feedback! We have family in the Worcester Area, and the closer to Boston (Dedham Area) we also travel to the Cape quite frequently and have a family home down there. So access to the pike/495 is a MUST! Do you think Grafton is still up and coming? I know there are a lot of new homes going up in S. Grafton. We have our eyes set on a home in Grafton, built in the 90's that has been renovated to our tastes. We've speant the past year or so watching the market. We currently own in Worcester, and like I said I have been checking out all surrounding towns. I just want to make this next house our house long term. I just don't know too much about Grafton and want to make sure our kids will get a good education and that there aren't any real negatives or diappointments about the town.

Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts