Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2015, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,076 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Plymouth at the end of August and need to figure out where to live. My job will require some (not too many) early mornings and more likely, late evenings, and a varied schedule, so normal commuting traffic is a concern, but one that can be worked around. I am single and while I'm not looking for a rocking nightlife, I do want things like a good coffee shop and yoga studio without having to travel too much. My budget is no more than $1200/month and I'm looking for a two bedroom, so I think Plymouth is likely out of my price range - what might be good alternatives? How far would the commute be to Fall River or New Bedford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 02:03 PM

317 posts, read 431,291 times
Obviously, if you can find in Plymouth, that would be your best bet! A quick search on Craigslist 'by owner only' shows one 800SF duplex for $1,200. I think the price range is do-able, it seems the rental inventory is low at the moment. You could always contact a Plymouth realtor and see what they could show you in the way of rentals.

If Plymouth doesn't work out for you, maybe try Taunton. It looks to be a 40 minute commute, but it is a nice, typical town, which has your price range. I also noticed Marshfield has a few rentals in your price range - like I said I think it's a matter of inventory in Plymouth, not price range, and so maybe its just Marshfield having more inventory, but it's a nice seacoast town there, and you'd have access to the entire South Shore to find most everything you're looking for.

I think you'll quickly find that Fall River and New Bedford have a reputation for being not-great places with high crime.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:14 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Taunton isn't so great either. I'd look at the ones in Marshfield if there isn't anything in Plymouth within your budget.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:20 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Stay out of Taunton. Consider Bridgewater or Middleboro.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:50 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Taunton isn't so great either.
You're being generous with that statement. Unlike some other frequently slagged on cities (e.g., Leominster, Worcester, Lowell, even New Bedford), Taunton's only redeeming quality is it's low COL. There is zero draw for young educated professionals and the current population reflects this.

Plymouth, Bridgewater/ West Bridgewater, Easton, Middleboro, etc. are all better bets if you can find something in the $1200 range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts