Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 10:30 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times

Advertisements

I have lived here for over 25 years( pioneer valley). Not once can I ever recall being told to stay indoors because of air quality. Saying bad air comes up the valley is simply untrue. And tourists do flock to Hamp , it is always very lively.

The winters are typical New England winters. The valley towns on average get less snow than towns east or west of it. Any where in Maine winters will be worse. I think in_new england needs to spend more time in New England and stop giving out false information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 06:41 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
I have lived here for over 25 years( pioneer valley). Not once can I ever recall being told to stay indoors because of air quality. Saying bad air comes up the valley is simply untrue. And tourists do flock to Hamp , it is always very lively.

I wondered if I was the only one who questioned this!

Old 08-03-2015, 01:10 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:

The winters are typical New England winters. The valley towns on average get less snow than towns east or west of it. Any where in Maine winters will be worse. I think in_new england needs to spend more time in New England and stop giving out false information.
That's kind of a rotten thing to say, especially because the information is true and documented. My family has lived in Northampton since just after the Civil War. I am not a newcomer, making things up. The ozone produced smog is not as bad as it used to be but it's still pretty bad.

When I lived there--first in a Springfield suburb where I grew up, and later in Northampton and Amherst, it was common for air quality warnings to be issued on the radio and the tv. We were warned to stay indoors unless it was absolutely necessary to go out.

The air smelled like car exhaust on the hot, muggy days. Everything article I read about it or every news story I heard said that the valley acted like a funnel and sucked up pollution from the NYC area. I used to drive west on rte 9 for about 1/2 hour on those days to get some clean air. The hill towns had better air quality.

Report gives Hampshire County failing smog grade | GazetteNet.com

"Even if the region isn’t directly responsible for the “F” grade it received, as most experts agree, the pollution still has potentially dangerous repercussions."

Yes, it's getting a little bit better but an "F" not a good grade. I stand by what I said.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:41 PM

And I stand by what I said. I have never heard of such a thing and it is simply not true. Maybe metro Boston has bad air quality but not the Pioneer Valley. We simply do not have air quality alerts and the air does not smell like car exhaust.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:35 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
And I stand by what I said. I have never heard of such a thing and it is simply not true. Maybe metro Boston has bad air quality but not the Pioneer Valley. We simply do not have air quality alerts and the air does not smell like car exhaust.
Facts don't lie. Coming from WMass I don't know about the Boston area but I remember going to Cambridge once and remarking that the air was cleaner than back home in Northampton. The Boston area, being by the ocean, may have cleaner air but I don't know about that.

Just because you haven't heard about it doesn't mean it's not true. If you want to think you "won" that's fine.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:34 PM

It isn't about winning. It is about not giving out false information. There has never been warnings to stay indoors. The air doesn't smell like exhaust , the summers and winters are no better or worse than the rest of southern New England and yes we get plenty of sunshine in the winter.

Maine on the other hand hash harsher winters , cooler summers , less amenities over all and a higher cost of living. The best thing Maine has going for it is the coastline.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:44 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
He may be referring to air quality alert days. There are warnings for the elderly, children, and people with respiratory conditions to stay indoors on days when there are high concentrations of air pollutants. Historically, the Pioneer Valley has had marginally more alert days than mid-coast Maine, but I wouldn't worry too much about either - AirCompare Report

Old 08-06-2015, 04:45 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Eh..I think PV air is fine to be frank. Remember Mt. Tom is closed now. A coal plant could easily cause air issues. The CT river is getting better. It used to be very bad but now I would argue most of the time you can boat there safely. Swimming not so much but it's the cleanest it's been in probably 20 years.

With Cambridge there's a ton of pollution around the Boston metro area. I couldn't even sit in Lexington center and breath because of all the rt 2 traffic. It could easily look like Church st in Burlington VT but the state routes ruined it.

Maines coast is fine but it's also pretty much developed. Give PV another 15-20 years and once it gets clean year round to swim well it will develop quite a bit. There's too many people in the country that think that water = oceans (i.e. pacific and atlantic coasts) but that's not the case. There's plenty of recreation to be found on ponds, lakes and rivers.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:46 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
No brainer: Pioneer Valley. Maine is too isolated, and you can't enjoy long walks before dusk with sub zero wind chills coming at you for three months.
Come on folks. Bath, ME has only a 3 or 4 degree difference in January temps than Amherst, MA.

Central and Northern Maine, whole different story. But the OP was specifically asking about coastal ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts